MD 35 MCAT, 3.51 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texaspremed44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note about GPA:
My cumulative gpa and science gpas are both dampered because of my poor dual-credit grades from when I was in high school and did not care about academics (about a 3.63 cGPA and 3.50sGPA if you don't consider my dual-credit). They are also dampered by a semester where my girlfriend was raped and I subsequently did poorly due to this circumstance (cGPA and sGPA both much higher if not considering this semester). However, I have tried "righting" the wrongs on my transcript. For instance, I got a C+ in microbiology, a B- in orgo 1, and a B+ in calculus I. I am taking a medical bacteriology class which I am on track to receive a high A in this semester to show that my grade in microbiology was a bad grade I received due to circumstances that semester. And with organic, I went on to get an A in organic chemistry 2 (I read the entire book in 3 weeks in order to prepare for my final exam, the ACS, which is cumulative over both semester of organic chemistry) and now I am an organic chemistry study group leader for one of the ochem professors at my school. I also have a relatively good grade trend. I received an A in ochem2, biochem I, and will most likely be receiving an A in biochem 2, medical bacteriology, and genetics this semester (I am currently on track for another 4.00 this semester).

MCAT:
I received a 35 cumulative with a 13 in bio, 12 in physical, and 10 in verbal (got rushed unfortunately on test day as I normally average a 12 or 13 in verbal on practice exams).

Clinical Volunteer Activities and Shadowing:
In Fall 2012, I volunteered at a hospice organization for about 3 hours/week.
In Spring 2013, I volunteered at a medical clinic for the underserved population for about 2-3 hours per week.
In Fall of 2013, I went on a medical mission trip for a week in Jamaica where I volunteered at medical and dental clinics put on in the area for underserved people in Jamaica (i.e. pulling teeth, clinic visits for blood pressure, etc.)
I am currently volunteering at a therapeutic center for children with mental defects where we have them ride horses to help them gain control of their senses (interestingly enough we have actually had a couple children get the autism diagnosis revoked from their record because of this therapy!) and I volunteer there 3-4 hours per week (except the last couple of weeks because the weather was very crummy in TX).
I've shadowed an infectious disease doctor for about 4 hours, a general surgeon for a total of 24 hours, and a congenital heart surgeon for about 6 hours.

Other Volunteering
I've also volunteered with the Girl Scouts where I was a STEM teacher one day for them (4 hours total).
I volunteered at a haunted house benefiting families of police officers that were hurt or killed in the line of duty (12 hours total this past October)
Finally, I volunteered for about 4 hours at a concessions stand for my university.

Research
Unfortunately, I have no research experience. I am currently trying to get into a research lab for this summer but it is still up in the air as the professor is assessing if there will be room for me to come in or not.

Employment
I have been tutoring high school students (A&P, AP chem, AP phys, AP bio, algebra 1) for 2 years and 2 months and I also tutor some college outside of my organic chemistry study groups.
I worked in the emergency room as an ER scribe for a year (amounts to about 1300 hours in the ER/shadowing ER physicians)
Finally, I just recently (as of a week or two ago) received a job as a MCAT Instructor for Kaplan Test Prep.

Organizations
Tri-Beta
AED (Pre-Med honor society)
Phi Sigma Pi (National honors fraternity)
I was in the honors program from fall 2012 to fall 2013 (left honors program because I switched universities)

LOR's
Note: These will be in my HPAC packet
Congenital heart surgeon
General surgeon
ER physician
Ochem professor
biochem professor
biology professor

I have a list of 20 schools I plan on applying to. I'll be applying to all of the in-state TX schools and some out-of-state friendly schools from around the nation. This is the list with my reach schools towards the top and my safety schools towards the bottom.

Duke University (#8)

Baylor College of Medicine (#21)

Emory University - School of Medicine (#23)

UT Southwestern Medical Center (#25)

Brown University - Warren Alpert Medical School (#35)

Dartmouth College - The Geisel School of Medicine (#37)

University of Miami - Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine (#45)

Georgetown University - School of Medicine (#49)

Wake Forest University - School of Medicine (#49)

Medical College of Wisconsin (#54)

UT School of Medicine at San Antonio (#55)

UT Health Science Center in Houston (#57)

Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine (#79)

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine (#83)

Drexel University - College of Medicine (#83)

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso (no rating)

UT Dell (unranked)

UT Medical Branch at Galveston (unranked)

UT Rio Grande (unranked)

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (unranked)

Sorry for all the info! Just want to get the most accurate answer possible on what you guys think my chances are for this round (applying to begin medical school in Fall 2016).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The concept of OOS "safeties" does not work for TX applicants (except for DO), I'm afraid.
It is reasonable to apply to OOS schools where you believe that your personal or professional qualities are valued enough that the school would consider you for a recruitment scholarship.

TX is the flip side of CA.
CA has 1436/5920 (24%) applicants matriculate OOS. Only 870 matriculate IS (14.7%)!
TX has 193/3870 (5%) matriculate OOS. 1418 matriculate IS (36.6%).

OOS schools have learned that TX applicants are low yield and tend not to interview unless there is a compelling reason to believe they will attend.

The concept of OOS "safeties" does not work for TX applicants (except for DO), I'm afraid.
It is reasonable to apply to OOS schools where you believe that your personal or professional qualities are valued enough that the school would consider you for a recruitment scholarship.

TX is the flip side of CA.
CA has 1436/5920 (24%) applicants matriculate OOS. Only 870 matriculate IS (14.7%)!
TX has 193/3870 (5%) matriculate OOS. 1418 matriculate IS (36.6%).

OOS schools have learned that TX applicants are low yield and tend not to interview unless there is a compelling reason to believe they will attend.

Good to know gyngyn, I appreciate that! Could you comment on my chances of getting into a texas MD school (and possibly an out of state private if applicable)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know gyngyn, I appreciate that! Could you comment on my chances of getting into a texas MD school (and possibly an out of state private if applicable)?
TX is its own special bubble. I have tried to understand it from the outside for over 30 years.
They seem to like gpas's more than we do.
TX has trained us all (public and private) not to mess with their applicant pool.
I know of no private school that has not learned this lesson.
Unless we are willing to put up cash for the applicant, we don't get them.
Your info doesn't look better than the folks we can get much easier from other states, I'm afraid.

Gyngyn,
Based on my research students have better chances getting into schools if they apply early (due to the rolling admissions process). Because of this, do you think I would have a decent chance at a TX MD school with my stats if I am planning on applying immediately when the application opens? I know it's probably hard to answer since you're in California :/

Gyngyn,
Based on my research students have better chances getting into schools if they apply early (due to the rolling admissions process). Because of this, do you think I would have a decent chance at a TX MD school with my stats if I am planning on applying immediately when the application opens? I know it's probably hard to answer since you're in California :/
Early is always better as long as it is the best application possible.

Ok, thank you gyngyn. I appreciate your help! I will also be applying to a post-bac program to get my masters in medical sciences if I don't get in and then apply the next cycle in the worst care scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, thank you gyngyn. I appreciate your help! I will also be applying to a post-bac program to get my masters in medical sciences if I don't get in and then apply the next cycle in the worst care scenario.
Make sure it's a post bac and not a Master's program if you hope to make a dent in your gpa.

This is what their website says:
This program has been very successful in assisting students to better their chances for acceptance into medical school. In the class that graduated in 2012, 75% of students who matriculated graduated with a Master of Science degree. 60% of these were successful in gaining admission into medical school at UNT Health Science Center, University of Texas at Houston, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas Tech University Health Science Center at El Paso, Texas A & M University Health Science Center, Baylor College of Medicine, and University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, in addition to several out-of-state schools.

This is what their website says:
This program has been very successful in assisting students to better their chances for acceptance into medical school. In the class that graduated in 2012, 75% of students who matriculated graduated with a Master of Science degree. 60% of these were successful in gaining admission into medical school at UNT Health Science Center, University of Texas at Houston, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas Tech University Health Science Center at El Paso, Texas A & M University Health Science Center, Baylor College of Medicine, and University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, in addition to several out-of-state schools.
That looks like less than half to me...
If they were starting with seriously damaged applications that's not too bad.
It's hard to know without that piece.
You just need a better gpa, so a post bac seems like a better bet (if you don't get in).

Ok. So if I don't get in I should do post bac to raise my GPA and my MCAT is already good as it stands right?

i like your chances for this cycle

continue to volunteer (from your post it looks like it sort of peters out a year or two ago) and if you don't get in, do a post-bac and get As

i like your chances for this cycle

continue to volunteer (from your post it looks like it sort of peters out a year or two ago) and if you don't get in, do a post-bac and get As

Yeah I actually transferred universities and had a bit of trouble finding a volunteer opportunity in the new area. Now that I found this therapeutic organization I'm trying to work with them as much as I can.