Seeking advice for RN to MD reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRNPKC

Reaction score
Hey there SDN

I am a current RN in California, have been working as an ER nurse for past 5 years and have finally decided to apply to med school. My focus is on underserved communities and have work/volunteer experience within those communities in SoCal and in Mexico. I am ORM from Ca w/ cGPA OF 3.91, sGPA 3.85, MCAT 517. I applied last cycle to 27 schools, 3 IIs --> 2 WL, 1 pending. I am preparing to apply again this upcoming cycle and wanted to reach out for some advice.

Specifically, do you think that being RN is hindering my chances of med school (ex: adcoms thinking you need to stay in your lane, or not wanted to take a nurse out of the workforce)? I am wondering how to incorporate my clinical experience as a nurse into a personal statement/application in a way that doesn't come across as "i already know so much, look at me". My PS last cycle focused on how my work and volunteering in underserved communities exposed to me a lack of physicians that wanted to invest in those communities and how I wanted to become a physician who would do that. It also touched on my interest in alternate modes of healthcare delivery systems to reach disenfranchised communities (I have a lot of experience at mobile/pop up clinics working with the unhoused).

Hoping some fellow nurses turned MDs (or anyone really) can comment some insights as I get ready to reapply.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Specifically, do you think that being RN is hindering my chances of med school (ex: adcoms thinking you need to stay in your lane, or not wanted to take a nurse out of the workforce)?
People who have worked as nurses have valuable experience in healthcare that adds to the diversity of the class. This is a strong plus. There are relatively few who choose this path, so workforce issues are not in play.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey there SDN

I am a current RN in California, have been working as an ER nurse for past 5 years and have finally decided to apply to med school. My focus is on underserved communities and have work/volunteer experience within those communities in SoCal and in Mexico. I am ORM from Ca w/ cGPA OF 3.91, sGPA 3.85, MCAT 517. I applied last cycle to 27 schools, 3 IIs --> 2 WL, 1 pending. I am preparing to apply again this upcoming cycle and wanted to reach out for some advice.

Specifically, do you think that being RN is hindering my chances of med school (ex: adcoms thinking you need to stay in your lane, or not wanted to take a nurse out of the workforce)? I am wondering how to incorporate my clinical experience as a nurse into a personal statement/application in a way that doesn't come across as "i already know so much, look at me". My PS last cycle focused on how my work and volunteering in underserved communities exposed to me a lack of physicians that wanted to invest in those communities and how I wanted to become a physician who would do that. It also touched on my interest in alternate modes of healthcare delivery systems to reach disenfranchised communities (I have a lot of experience at mobile/pop up clinics working with the unhoused).

Hoping some fellow nurses turned MDs (or anyone really) can comment some insights as I get ready to reapply.

Thanks in advance!!
Im seeking advice for application to programs myself, but my GPA stats are lower than yours. I am also a nurse, but with less experience than 5 years. Did you only apply MD? Only prestigious programs?

It seems insane to me with such strong academic achievement and a 95th percentile MCAT score that you only received 3 IIs and no acceptances. This post makes me feel I have no chance whatsoever unless I gambled with carribean schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im seeking advice for application to programs myself, but my GPA stats are lower than yours. I am also a nurse, but with less experience than 5 years. Did you only apply MD? Only prestigious programs?

It seems insane to me with such strong academic achievement and a 95th percentile MCAT score that you only received 3 IIs and no acceptances. This post makes me feel I have no chance whatsoever unless I gambled with carribean schools.
Hey! Yes I only applied to MD, I thought I had a decently broad school list, but I did narrow it down by places I thought I would want to live. I’m thinking that my statement last cycle may not have been has strong as it could have been. I’m revising it preparing for this cycle, making sure the mission is clear and it conveys exactly what I want in a direct way. I’m also applying to DO this cycle including MD. To be honest I was surprised I didn’t get more love from schools, but it’s so hard to know what schools are looking for. Best bet is just to make sure you have a cohesive and strong story in your application that is a compelling reason for why you want to be a doctor. Don’t give up!!!

It's not just about the stats, but the entire app.

It's not a gamble. It's a sure loss.
Can I ask why? I don't mean to come across as naive, but the stats they (SGU/ROSS) report are on par with US MD/DO schools. I understand the attrition rate is much higher but if you make it to the end, it seems the residency placement rate (I know, different than match rate) is pretty close. I don't know enough about the schools but I do see that everyone on these forums bashes these programs. I'm just trying to understand why.

Can I ask why? I don't mean to come across as naive, but the stats they (SGU/ROSS) report are on par with US MD/DO schools. I understand the attrition rate is much higher but if you make it to the end, it seems the residency placement rate (I know, different than match rate) is pretty close. I don't know enough about the schools but I do see that everyone on these forums bashes these programs. I'm just trying to understand why.
The people who run these these places cynically take the loan money from desperate applicants only to kick them to the curb.
Their business model requires that half of the matriculants never makes it to the clinical years.
Is this the kind of people that you want to support with your (unrefundable) Title 4 dollars?

Even if you are one of the "lucky" ones that is allowed to make it to an application for residency, you have been relegated to places and programs that you would have never considered as a US MD or DO.

Reactions: 1 user
The people who run these these places cynically take the loan money from desperate applicants only to kick them to the curb.
Their business model requires that half of the matriculants never makes it to the clinical years.
Is this the kind of people that you want to support with your (unrefundable) Title 4 dollars?

Even if you are one of the "lucky" ones that is allowed to make it to an application for residency, you have been relegated to places and programs that you would have never considered as a US MD or DO.
By "relegated to places and programs", are you referring to residency placement? I thought SGU's attrition rate was closer to 25%?

By "relegated to places and programs", are you referring to residency placement? I thought SGU's attrition rate was closer to 25%?
They are not required to post verifiable data.
Best estimates place their real attrition nearer to 50%

Hey! ER RN turned MD student here. First of all, congrats on choosing to apply to med school. I didn’t experience any prejudice from docs when I chose to pursue a medical degree but I got a lot of negative feedback from other RNs (which is a bummer, we’re all on the same team). Your stats sound awesome, honestly. Would like to know more about your PS maybe…but if you’re getting interview invites that demonstrates that you’re a strong enough applicant (MD and DO programs won’t waste their time with applicants they don’t want to matriculate on paper). I’d focus on your PS (maybe) and your interviewing skills (definitely). Stack some schools you don’t really want to go to early in the cycle to get practice interviewing, and lean into your experience proven passion for medicine. (If you want to go into EM there’s a lot of really great schools in the Midwest. They aren’t places anyone necessarily aspires to live, but the training is top notch. Consider Indiana, Ohio, Minnesota and Wisconsin). Also if you have any specific questions feel free to DM.

My experience on the interview trail as an RN was for the most part uniformly positive whenever it came up and most of the physicians I spoke to during that time were effusive with their praise. I think that if your explanation for why you want to make the transition is sound and one that you can weave through your different essays and interviews then there should be no push back from those interviewing you. Your stats and ECs sound solid so I wonder if there were either issues with your essays or your school selection. Feel free to reach out.

NICU Nurse now, Rising MS2!. I didnt meet any resistance in my transition from nursing to medical student by any physician. It was always warm and welcoming. Sadly, I received more animosity about my decision from fellow nurses. With that said, I do have some thoughts on your post.

Specifically, do you think that being RN is hindering my chances of med school (ex: adcoms thinking you need to stay in your lane, or not wanted to take a nurse out of the workforce)? I am wondering how to incorporate my clinical experience as a nurse into a personal statement/application in a way that doesn't come across as "i already know so much, look at me".
I dont think being a RN is hindering your chances. Ideally, schools are looking for diverse group of students who can bring something to their cohort, and having extensive healthcare experience is an overall PLUS when transitioning to medicine. I think maybe re-evaluating your PS is a good start. The PS should tell ADCOMS, "Why medicine?" So I'd only include clinical experiences that contributed towards your decision to pursue medicine, and that'd be a way you could avoid worrying about sounding like you know so much.

Worrying about others wont do you any good. Having good stats, will get your app looked at, but its the contents within that'll get the ADCOMs to wanna sit down and interview you. Ofc you have a chance, I dont know your stats or anything but just work hard. It may take some time. do well on MCAT, have a solid PS, apply broadly and to DO if you have to.

[My Stats are in my Signature from the year I applied.]

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there SDN

Thanks in advance!!
Hey there! First off, congrats on wanting to take the leap and go to med school – that's awesome! Being an RN is actually a big plus, not a hindrance. Your experience in the ER and working in underserved communities is a major advantage that sets you apart from other applicants. Adcoms love people with diverse backgrounds, so don't worry about them thinking you need to stick to nursing.

When it comes to your personal statement, just be yourself and let your passion shine through. Talk about how your time in those communities made you realize the need for more invested physicians, and how you want to be that person who makes a real difference. Also, don't be afraid to show off your leadership and teamwork skills from your nursing days – that stuff is gold in the medical field.

Learn from your last application's experiences, address any weak points, and show that you're ready to handle the challenges of med school. Also, network like crazy – you never know who can help you out or give you some inside info.
Good luck, and go rock those interviews!