38+ mcat score, but nothing else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jscarpachio

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools are almost guaranteed acceptences, if all you really have is a high mcat score and just a low to decent gpa, no research, no clinical, nothing?

I hear Wash places almost all its decision on the mcat, true?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, you still need a GPA...I don't know of any places that don't care about GPA.

I wouldnt really say any med school is a guaranteed lock....but congrats on your 38 MCAT, that's a really great place to start! Now just work on everything else and you have a great shot at any school you want to go to...i would guess most adcoms wouldnt look too favorably on your app even with such a high MCAT score if you have nothing else on your app

Members don't see this ad :)
no excuse not to go volunteer in an ER for a bit. i just had 100 hrs as the sum total of my "clinical" experience. you can do that in a month, easily.

Apply to a lot of places, including your state school if you're not in Cali. It varies from school to school and even year to year. I know, 30 bucks a pop adds up quickly but it's the best way to do it with an uneven app.

btw grats on your 38

I got a 38 and have a poor GPA and didn't get in anywhere, so GPA's worth something. I had research and volunteer exp too.

jscarpachio said:
What schools are almost guaranteed acceptences, if all you really have is a high mcat score and just a low to decent gpa, no research, no clinical, nothing?

If you have no ECs of note, and a "low" gpa, the MCAT is probably not going to get you in anyplace. With a "decent" gpa, you might fare a bit better, perhaps even get to the interview stage, but most schools still indicate that a candidate will need medically related clinical and/or research experience.

How low is"low" for your GPA? Are you talking 3.0 or are you talking 3.5? Do you have any EC's at all? Everything is important when you are applying to med school and believe me when I tell you that a 38 won't guarantee you admission anywhere, but like someone else said, it is a good start.

40 and 4.0 can't even get into some places. most possibly low tier, but for top tier, no way if someone has no ec or volunteering.

Steiner said:
I got a 38 and have a poor GPA and didn't get in anywhere, so GPA's worth something. I had research and volunteer exp too.

Same thing here. Applied to master's programs, improved my GPA, and got in when I re-applied. A great MCAT helps, but it's not sufficient for admission.

i dont understand why people dont volunteer, when its considered a crucial part of ur application, yet takes so little time/effort/initiative. whats so hard about volunteering 50-100 hours, if thats what makes or breaks your application? its so little compared to how much time u spend studying for just one of ur classes each semester. is there something im missing?

seth03 said:
i dont understand why people dont volunteer, when its considered a crucial part of ur application, yet takes so little time/effort/initiative. whats so hard about volunteering 50-100 hours, if thats what makes or breaks your application? its so little compared to how much time u spend studying for just one of ur classes each semester. is there something im missing?

I guess it's just the process you have to go through. Having to apply, interview, TB testing, etc. Too much of a hassle. Maybe the people who lack it need the money from a pay-job instead of working for the sake of padding up their medical school application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will Ferrell said:
I guess it's just the process you have to go through. Having to apply, interview, TB testing, etc. Too much of a hassle. Maybe the people who lack it need the money from a pay-job instead of working for the sake of padding up their medical school application.
So......become a CNA/EMT/Pharmacy tech and get paid for experience. I need money like fish need water, so I have a job as an EMT, and I'll be applying for an ER tech position tomorrow.

TheProwler said:
So......become a CNA/EMT/Pharmacy tech and get paid for experience. I need money like fish need water, so I have a job as an EMT, and I'll be applying for an ER tech position tomorrow.

If only it were that easy! I've been looking for a clinical job for over a month and I'm no further than when I started. I applied for a ton of pharm tech positions (not even clinical, but something!), but nobody is hiring. ugh...this stinks

Will Ferrell said:

I worked for money at engineering internships. Although one began with 6 months of volunteer work. I had substantial experience in high school as a community helpline volunteer. It was difficult to volunteer around a job and it required a 6 month commitment to a single time slot. When your course schedule changes every 3 months volunteering isn't very realistic.

I had a 3.5 (although engineering) and a paltry 32 MCAT (there was some flip flopping of scores that some adcoms may have taken into account. The sum of my top scores from two sittings was a 35). I got in to a UC and I am on the ranked waitlist at UCSD (Who cares! UC Irivine here I come!!!). I have a friend with a 3.9 and a 37 but no volunteering, job, or research. She was shut out of UCs but did get into Loma Linda.

The take home message is that an adcom needs to know that you did SOMETHING besides study. Physicians are expected to be community leaders and admissions committees want to select people who demostrate community involvement.

Try the EMT suggestion mentioned above. Try volunteering anywhere, just get your hands dirty.

BTY, Tigress aren't you safe and sound with an acceptance already?

scrappysurfer said:
BTY, Tigress aren't you safe and sound with an acceptance already?

nope, actually I'm taking the MCAT (1st time) in a week! I'll be applying in the upcoming cycle. I was in grad school and quit so I have to figure out a way to support myself (and my husband) for the next year

tigress said:
If only it were that easy! I've been looking for a clinical job for over a month and I'm no further than when I started. I applied for a ton of pharm tech positions (not even clinical, but something!), but nobody is hiring. ugh...this stinks
Um, well, I was looking for about 9 months, so take it easy a little there. :laugh: You'll find one.

You need experience for more than just getting in to school. Think of it as a transition into patient care. Sat night I got called to the ER to draw blood from a dehydrated 11mo old with pneumonia. We had to strap him down while I tried to draw his blood - missed twice. Not fun.

I would rather have some of these really crappy experiences now, in small to moderate doses, than get it all at once in med-school.

jscarpachio said:

I don't think this is true. I interviewed there and my interviewer was extremely interested in my volunteering/outreach activities, and this led to some great questions. They do have a high mcat average, but I don't think they are looking for mcat freakazoids.

here is food for thought...most medical schools CAN get folks with high gpa/mcat AND all the other stuff. Excelling in school is not that difficult if that is ALL you are doing they want to see that you can do well AND do other things as well aka multi-task. If you know that you need MORE than grades/MCAT then do what it takes.

TheProwler said:
Um, well, I was looking for about 9 months, so take it easy a little there. :laugh: You'll find one.

I can't wait for 9 months to start a job. If I can't find one in another month or two I'll have to look outside of clinical jobs and probably end up working as a paralegal (which will pay more anyway). I have to pay rent.

jscarpachio said:

you might wnat to consider Osteopath?

None. I have a close friend with a 40 on the MCAT from an invy league school, mediocre gpa (3.5 or so) and not much else (limited volunteering). He got into 1 school out of like 15. Schools want well rounded applicants.

Maybe the people who lack it need the money from a pay-job instead of working for the sake of padding up their medical school application

I worked 30-50 hours/week my whole time in college and I still managed to volunteer, run a student organization, and shadow doctors. You can do it if you are motivated enough. I think the problem is that if they are doing it for the sake of padding their application, then it's hard to find the motivation to do it when you have to work a job to pay the bills. I did it because I wanted to see if this was the career for me (and I enjoy doing volunteer work in the community when I can since I feel that college students take from our community and we should try to give something back to the town). I learned a lot about myself from my clinical volunteer work, so it wasn't hard to keep coming back. Anytime you do something solely for your curriculum vitae, it's going to be hard to get out of bed in the morning (or at least that is the case for me) :)

ppa93 said:
you might wnat to consider Osteopath?

DO schools place less emphasis on MCAT and GPA and more on experiences, I think.

So, OP, really, you need to start doing some volunteering and getting clinical experience if you want to get into any school, even with your MCAT. More people than you think have gotten a 38, don't think that will get you in by itself because it won't. Numbers are important for sure in medical school admissions, but numbers alone won't get you anywhere. You need to prove that you actually know what you're getting into, and that you've made the effort to explore the field.

Maybe it seems like a hassle to you, but it's something you HAVE to do to get in.

As far as not having enough time, everyone has at least 1 or 2 hours a week to volunteer in a hospital or something. If that means sacrificing your TV time or whatever, then do it.

The first thing most people think when they hear of someone with a high MCAT but low GPA is that they are smart but lazy. Lacking clinical experience, volunteer experience, and making no effort to get either just reinforces that impression. You don't want to appear lazy to adcoms.

Apply EVERYWHERE and you are bound to get in somwhere.

I had a great MCAT and a miserable GPA as well. With some volunteer exp, good recs, a good science GPA and an upward trend in my grades with the help of post-bacc classes, I was able to snag a seat for 2005.

Of course, some schools laughed my application into the trashcan with one glance at my cum GPA. You never know what mood the people who take the first look at AMCAS apps will be in. I'll repeat myself: use the shotgun approach and apply to many many schools. With a 38 MCAT and clinical experience, you are bound to get in somewhere -- not a top-flight school like WashU, but somewhere.