3rd &4th year clerkships in Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOcrackabone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done rotations in Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA? What are your experiences? I am thinking of setting up rotation there as I might be interested in doing a residency there too. Their EM program seems solid. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Solid rotations. Did EM, IM, ortho, peds, cards, anesthesia there. No complaints. But that was 2-3 years ago, things might have changed. FP rotations are particularly strong there.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone done rotations in Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA? What are your experiences? I am thinking of setting up rotation there as I might be interested in doing a residency there too. Their EM program seems solid. Any thoughts?

Did my 3rd year there (GSurg, Ortho, IMx2, FM, Peds, OB) and I'm returning there for my internship. Very solid hospital, good teaching. Medical students get worked... I'm looking forward to having my own eager 3rd years. ED is a level II that sees 250+ pts/day...you can pretty much do/see everything.

My advice is to set up a rotation, preferably 2, one in EM and one sub-I. Extremely few people get residencies at Arrowhead who have not rotated there. County is not for everyone and they need to know you can work and thrive in that environment. Ask if you have specific questions or PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did Medicine and Ob/Gyn there and have EM there next year. Solid, strong teaching hospital with tons of pathology since it is county... but not as much teaching as I would have liked. Still, it's a good place to learn but it has its problems because it is going through a transition to being paperless. ER dept is super busy there and yes, chances of scoring residency there are much better if you do a rotation there.

However, as far as the area goes, there is nothing to do in the IE. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Is this the hospital i've heard refered to as Arrow-Hell?

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to try set up an EM rotation for next year since that's the residency I am interested in. My core EM won't be until the end of the fourth year so hopefully they take me regardless.

Are there any other hospitals in the Southern Cali area that are good teaching hospitals?

Are there any other hospitals in the Southern Cali area that are good teaching hospitals?

Are we talking about for DOs only?

Either DO hospitals, or hospitals that accept DO's. I'm looking to schedule for 4th year rotations.

Arrowhead is far and away the best teaching hospital for DOs in Southern California.
-Nearby is Loma Linda that is an excellent teaching hospital.
-I've also had good experiences at Downey Regional that has DO FP and traditional internship residencies.
-Most Kaisers have FP and take plenty of DOs and Kaiser Sunset has all the specialties, but take less DOs for residency.
-Your best bet for quality teaching are the UCs and USC. USC IM takes a handful of DOs per year. Keep in mind getting a residency at these places is difficult but not impossible.
This is not an all inclusive list. Check out Touro and Western's match list for an idea of what is attainable in SoCal for DOs.

From my first shift I thought Arrowhead had a ton to offer for medical students interested in any specialty. Emergency medicine is one of the strongest programs there with very able and autonomous residents from every year. Gen surg and IM have very capable residents too, but work crazy hours with very little time off.

I rotated on EM twice and know it is difficult to get into the residency without some facetime. That's to be expected and most programs are the same way. From what I understand there are a number of applicants who match into the ARMC program having only been interviewed despite never rotating on site. While it is not common, it is not unheard of. They seem like a very cohesive group, looking for personalities that can handle the stress of county training while making a strong residency "family". The PD (Minahan) even says on the website "I would rather have a B student with an A personality than an A student with a B personality". Weekly didactics with various speakers locally and nationally, students get to do more procedures than anywhere else I've been, and so many patients that the pathology is endless. It's Trauma II center with a mix of blunt and penetrating injuries. Arrowhead is a legit EM program.

Reactions: 2 users