3rd and 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LunaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that scheduling varies depending on rotations, but I was wondering, on average, what is a week like for a 3rd/4th year student? Are we talking 24 hour shifts? 12 hour shifts 7 days/week? Weekends off?:)

Whats it like?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that scheduling varies depending on rotations, but I was wondering, on average, what is a week like for a 3rd/4th year student? Are we talking 24 hour shifts? 12 hour shifts 7 days/week? Weekends off?:)

Whats it like?

3rd year and 4th year are not the same at all. 4th year is much more schedulable. In terms of 3rd year, it depends on the school and the rotation. You can certainly have overnight shifts in OB, IM and Surgery at most schools, in which case you might be doing more than a 24 hour shift. In all those fields you can expect to be in the hospital at least 12 hours/day on other weekdays (6-7 is pretty typical), and some will give you a certain number of weekend days off a month, but you are expected to work the rest of the weekend. Some other rotations will have weekend call instead of overnight call. Expect to experience a 70-80 hour work week on some rotations.

The best reference would be the third and fourth years at your school, as the schedules/call vary widely among medical schools. During third year, you should anticipate at least weekly in house call on surgery, ob/gyn, medicine and pediatrics, although even that is not something found at every school. You should expect at least 12 hour days on surgery and ob/gyn and 10 hour days on pediatrics and medicine. You will likely be in the hospital at least one day during the weekend. During your fourth year, there is little to no in house call (except on your sub-internships/acting-internships) and rarely do you work on the weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
4th year is the most expensive vacation you'll ever take

In all seriousness I will echo what the above poster has said and say and like 3rd year it depends on your school and whatever hospital(s) you rotate through. But it also depends on your specialty (I'm only talking about 4th year now).

Your subI or AI will be the toughest month and you will work the same hours as an intern. I got there at 6:30am and stayed until 6pm or so, and was on short call until 10pm every 4th night. I had to do three overnight calls that month, 1 on friday, and 2 on saturday. At my school everyone is required to do a subI or AI in med or peds so if you're going into one of those specialties than great, only one tough month. But if you're going into surgery or a surgical subspecialty, then you must do the required month of med or peds subI and an additional surgical subI month.

The rest of 4th is a breeze, some do away electives, 'research' electives, and travel the country on interviews. So hang in there, get through 3rd year and there's light at the end of the tunnel.

You'll get the whole spectrum depending on your school, your rotation, your residents/staff, and your own personal level of interest. Some rotations are inherently more lecture-oriented (I remember one day on Medicine we had 5 hours of lecture), while stuff like surgery and OB can be more work-oriented.

Just to give you one example, I'm currently on my general surgery month. We M3s get there around 5:00, round on our 3-5 pts and do notes, hopefully before our respective intern arrives. We round with the upper level resident at 7:00 and start cases at 7:30. We alternate between afternoon clinic and formal attending rounds in the afternoons, usually leaving for home around 4:00. We take call q8 with another student, typically tag along with the intern on floor calls and ER trauma cases for awhile. If we're not busy around midnight they'll let us get some sleep, but occasionally it's one big damn 32 hour shift (we meet back up with our respective teams in the am and are allowed to leave by 1p). We have a few lectures/conferences a week and/or a quiz or two, and there's always reading. We usually have a weekend day off, sometimes two, so the workweek averages out to 60-70hrs.

By contrast, I had a 2-week surgery elective rotation with ENT just before Christmas, during which time we arrived at 8:00 for clinic/OR, and I never left the hospital later than 3p. No floor notes, no formal rounds, no lectures, time between pts for lunch. My resident was a PGY-5 with a big-money job already lined up so he liked to stand back and teach, letting me do way more than any 3rd year should in the OR and in the clinic procedure room. Awesome.