3rd and 4th years, how bad is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdent9972

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering is how bad third and fourth years are. I've heard such varying opinions, that I don't really know anymore. What confuses me even more is that these opinions tend to come mostly from MS-3 and MS-4's.

So here's the question, is 3rd and 4th years a lot easier than 1st and 2nd? I've heard that the 3rd year is another year of "information overload."
What i've heard on the bad side (from med perspective) is that it's just as bad, they are on call every third or fourth night like residency, work weekends, get maybe 1 or 2 days off and have lectures and exams on top of all of this. And you have to go home and hits the books after a 12 hour day.

On the other hand, I've heard that 3rd year is not any harder than a 9-5 job and that they provide breaks from work to study for exams.

What I want is specifc dental school info on 3rd and 4th years, including:

1) Are you ever on call nights?
2) Is it much harder/ easier than 1st and 2nd year?
3) How much do you have to study?
4) Overall, how much harder is it than an average 9-5er or avg undergrad life.

Oh and one other question. I've already had undergrad Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. I worked particularly hard in Anat/ Physio because I was interested in it and knew I would have to learn minor details later anyway. How much easier will it be for me the 1st and 2nd years?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dentists in practice don't even take call, so I don't see why a dental student would too.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.