3rd DO Canadian student, interested in IM, MCCQE1 now?

Started by ForeverDO
Tags Tags
canadian
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ForeverDO

Medcraving
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year DO student from Canada and plans to go back after residency. Since a chief resident/fellowship is more common than work under supervision, I'm wondering should I take the MCCQE1 during 4th year or during/after residency. I heard there is so much loop to go through to be certified by Health Canada and I want to save all possible effort as early as I can. Any insight is appreciated!
 
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year DO student from Canada and plans to go back after residency. Since a chief resident/fellowship is more common than work under supervision, I'm wondering should I take the MCCQE1 during 4th year or during/after residency. I heard there is so much loop to go through to be certified by Health Canada and I want to save all possible effort as early as I can. Any insight is appreciated!

If you do not want to have delays or work under supervision (different rules in every province), you need to take the QE1. Personally, I took it close to the end of my intern year in the US and at that point w/ a year of residency experience I found it straightforward with minimal prep needed. Just did Canada Qbank questions, no additional resources. I had a lot of friends who wrote it at the very end of med school, either 1-2 months prior to grad or end of summer before intern year and that is very do-able as well. You'll have enough clinical experience at that point to be able to answer the clinical practice based questions. That's the ideal timing as far as I can see.