MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Are there any (Academic) institutions that allow 3rd years to do anesthesia rotations? I am very interested in the field but have found most programs only offer rotations to 4th yrs.

Thanks

Jul 19, 2010
Old Swampy
Status
Medical Student
Are there any (Academic) institutions that allow 3rd years to do anesthesia rotations? I am very interested in the field but have found most programs only offer rotations to 4th yrs.

Thanks
I've never heard of any hospital allowing 3rd years to do aways in any rotation. Can you do one at your home institution, or can you wait until fourth year?

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At my school/hospital we get to pick a subspecialty for 3 weeks during our 12 week surgery rotation. I picked anesthesia.

Stellar Clouds

Lightly Seasoned Meat
Jan 8, 2013
Here. There. Everywhere.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We have a month long 3rd year anesthesia elective, but you can't participate in it from another institution.

I really don't think you'll be able to do a 3rd year away elective--most places want you to finish all of your core clerkships before they will consider you for an away rotation.

Feb 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I have found a few hospitals that accept 3rd yrs for IM sub specialties and FM, and EM, but haven't found any rotations in anesthesia.

Feb 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
take your third year anesthesia clerkship (usually bundled into surgery at most places) as early as possible if you want exposure

aways are almost exclusively for fourth years (at least at my school thats how it is)

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
My school has a 2 week anesthesia rotation during third year. But you can't participate in it from another school. Only 4th years are allowed to do away rotations.