3rd year Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

durban

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
JUst wondering if it is common to feel burned out at the end of third year. And has anyone else felt a little freaked by the reality of what residency will be like....the actual learning curve, work load, dreary hospital hours, etc? I know it will get better, just wondering if anyone else is going through this too.

Members don't see this ad.

I hit my burnout time around April of last year, too. Most medical students feel this way - it's completely normal. Fourth year is better when you have more elective time and can choose rotations that you like and are easier.

And as I am going to be graduating soon, I've definitely been getting freaked out about being an intern! I feel like I don't know anything. But I guess it's normal to feel that way :confused:

Agree with DOtobe...i was totally burned out at this time last year. It wasn't so much fear of residency, as it was exhaustion from playing "the game" of third year. Try to see the light at the end of the tunnel....4th year ROCKS...you will be able to pursue your areas of interest and the schedule is much more bearable (plus no more shelf exams or letter grades, at least not at my med school). I too am scared about starting residency in a few months, but try not to let this ruin the fun of your fourth year. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was pretty burned out by April/May of third year as well. It'll get better, don't worry...fourth year is much more manageable.

Thanks for the feedback. That really helps. "The game" of third year hits it on the head exactly- I think that's most of it.

What's the cure for this burnout?

DOtobe said:
Becoming an MS-4. :D
I must with the exception of my SUBI in internal medicine this has been the most relaxing time of my life in terms of med school. 4th year is a gift. You seriously relax and don't care anymore about looking stupid once you've matched (some people once their dean's letter is written). It's a good feeling. I was burned out last year too by this time. I think I was doing Surgery at this point last year followed by internal medince. Yeah I was totally burned out.

I have definitely hit a wall, so to speak, regarding putting up with crap since my fam med rotation started this week. Just yesterday, I caught myself almost telling a senior resident on the service that I didn't care why she thought someone had a particular affliction. I really just don't give 2 shts and can't seem to pretend to anymore. I find myself daydreaming of a clinic day in which every patient is a no-show. Only in my wildest dreams.

Finished 3rd year today (we go April to April) and it feels good. Have a nice 2 week vacation before 4th year starts. I was definitely getting pretty tired. The first 3rd of 4th year will be busy as well, but after that I'm coasting. Our 4th year is May to May, and I'll be relaxing from September to May. Very good feeling.

My 3rd year ended on surgery and I was pretty well burned out by then. I remember taking my shelf exam in surgery...just bubbled in C for like 10 questions and I left early. What sucked though was that the first two months of M4 year were my medicine sub-Is. But being a 4th year is just different...the pressure is off...people treat you differently. The light at the end of the tunnel becomes brighter.

M4 year rules!

i am on my medicine clerkship right now and being worked like a dog. it's about all i can do to just get into work and do what needs to be done there, let alone study for any self exam... just 13 more days left of this rotation... just 13 more days. it's what i keep telling myself.

This just in: "Burnout" = depression ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Gulliver said:
This just in: "Burnout" = depression ;)
Another one of your intelligent and insightful posts. Always a great read. :laugh:

bigfrank said:
Another one of your intelligent and insightful posts. Always a great read. :laugh:
Is that sincere or sarcasm? Think about "burnout". What else do you think it is?

Yeah, i've totally burned out too. I'm on the last rotation of my third year now and I can barely stand to do anything medical right now. I'm looking forward to my fourth year schedule. I'll be done in february!! yipppeeee.

i think.....scratch that......most of my friends are also totally crapped out about medical school right now. i think it is normal as you can read from the other posts.

later

It's completely normal, bouncing around to the next rotation, having to relearn different material and become adjusted to different personalities in every field. Completely normal. I'm there, believe me.

I'm in my second week of medicine and I've done about 20 pages of non-productive reading. I am completely drained. I cannot wait till the second half of fourth year :)

Actually my third year I was still burning because the military match meant everything was earlier, so I needed to scramble for my letters, the Step, military and civilian interviews, and my temporary duty tours, so I was jittering like a squirrel on crack. Then November hit and most of my interviews were done, the match was coming up December 15, and senioritis hit like a ton of bricks. Everything was going in slow mo, I didn't have to study for anything so I didn't, and you're totally relaxed but still feeling like you need to fight the senioritis.

Of course now that Match Day has passed and everyone else has officially shut their brain down, I've given in to the dark side. I've cracked the texts open maybe four times since December just for the occasional presentations!

So for senioritis - if you think you have it bad now, wait until you've finished submitting your apps!

Fourth year is great. Only 4 weeks left until graduation, but all I have left to do is 4 more days of Radiology. Nice!

UCSFbound said:
I have definitely hit a wall, so to speak, regarding putting up with crap since my fam med rotation started this week. Just yesterday, I caught myself almost telling a senior resident on the service that I didn't care why she thought someone had a particular affliction. I really just don't give 2 shts and can't seem to pretend to anymore. I find myself daydreaming of a clinic day in which every patient is a no-show. Only in my wildest dreams.

I'm on family medicine myself, which I hate with such a burning passion that I now station myself near the nurse's desks, where the patients cannot help but see me as they are led to the rooms, and stand there with an incredibly dismal scowl on my face. I feel that this has dramatically increased the percentage of patients who choose to not have a medical student chat with them. The excitement of talking to 90-year-old women about their itchy vaginas and creaky knees has faded somewhat over the weeks.

Yeah I'm on outpatient internal medicine and finish with inpatient. I'm going into radiology and I absolutely hate clinic, so this **** is driving me insane. I have a tight fourth year schedule, though it does include a month of family medicine that I may or may not survive, time will tell. I think I was burned out on third year last July when it started, as I've hated all my rotations with a passion.

sacrament said:
I'm on family medicine myself, which I hate with such a burning passion that I now station myself near the nurse's desks, where the patients cannot help but see me as they are led to the rooms, and stand there with an incredibly dismal scowl on my face. I feel that this has dramatically increased the percentage of patients who choose to not have a medical student chat with them. The excitement of talking to 90-year-old women about their itchy vaginas and creaky knees has faded somewhat over the weeks.

I'm with you on this one. I'm in the middle of 3, count them-3, months straight of family medicine. *ugh*

DrMom said:
I'm with you on this one. I'm in the middle of 3, count them-3, months straight of family medicine. *ugh*

That is awful. I hated family medicine, so I could not imagine being made to endure three months of it :scared: .

daisygirl said:
That is awful. I hated family medicine, so I could not imagine being made to endure three months of it :scared: .

oh, that's not all. I still have 1 more month of outpatient family med PLUS 2 more months of inpatient care with a Family Med attending. *sigh*

<----week 7 of 8 straight IM weeks retrieving charts looking up labs standing in the patient's room looking dumb feeling dumb having the attending tell me the patient just needs to die and that they aren't going to comply and take their meds anyway so even though i think that we should look into why they are circling the drain there's no point. :mad:

*cheers*

sacrament said:

Our rotation is pretty much redundant with outpatient medicine ( 4wks that I completely and utterly hated), with the occasional Pap (that women dont want me to be a apart of thank "god" because I am a man who wants to look at their smelly, discharging, purulent vag). I wish they would axe this rotation, and let me do a cool elective like "Basket weaving for med students" or "How to make money selling prescriptions".

I tried the "hiding in the resident's room" technique at the clinic last week in order to avoid seeing more than 2-3 patients each morning/afternoon. Needless to say it didn't go according to plan. A couple of the more zealous attendings came in and drug me out by the hair to get me to see these "lab follow up" or "med refill" patients. WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?

ME: your labs are good
Patient: Great
ME: so....I guess thats it. F/U as needed.
Patient: I had to wait an hour in the waiting room for that?
ME: Yeah, I guess you did.

OR

ME: You need refills. (looks at todays BP and HTN meds)
Patient: Yes
ME: Thats all?
Patient: What are you deaf? I told 3 people already thats all I need.
ME: Sorry.
Patient: I just want to get outta here. Can I please have my refills?
ME: Sorry sir, but my preceptor wants me to do a complete physical on you (including manual check of the signoid colon with a bare hand) before I can let you go.
Patient: (pissed) let me talk to the doctor. You aren't putting your fingers in any orifice.

To make a long story short, the patients that we have been seeing have already been exposed to "Would it be ok if our med student sees you today?" For some insanely sick reason, some enjoy the extra attention. Others, say to hell with that, I dont want to be seen by some bastard med student ever again. I love the latter types. I think I was meant to be a pathologist. :love:
2.5 weeks down, 3.5 more to go. :thumbup:

:mad: I don't know what the F is wrong with me, but this year I've been getting ALL passes only. I guess I'm not the most excitable guy on the planet, and can get bored easily. I just don't know what to do anymore.. things are very frustrating during the third year. If only I grow a pair of boobs, that might help. ;)

Coming to terms with being an idiot med student,
DD

DONE, BABY! No more classes!!!

The bane of MY existence third year (BESIDES ob/gyn) was my ambulatory medicine rotation block at the Wilkes-Barre VA where my day consisted of sitting in a small room watching my attending do refills. The first week I tried to be proactive and see the patient first, but guess what, when all they're coming in is for refills and nothing is wrong, the experience gets real old. The kicker was that after passing my orals and having my attending tell me "You're doing fine, you're doing fine," every time I asked her for feedback, two months later I found out she had failed me for my ambulatory portion. Maybe she thought 2/5= fine, but our school 2/5=failed. Thankfully two weeks remediation between third and fourth year and I moved on with barely a "screw you" thought to Wilkes-Barre woman...

Aha! That would explain the reason why I was able to get by on 6hrs of sleep a night during my surgery rotation for 3months in the beg of the year, while now I seem to require somewhere between 8-10. In fact, today (saturday), I woke up bright and early at 3 in the afternoon after a marathon 12hr sleep session. :sleep: I guess it wouldn' be so bad if I'd been working like a dog during the week, but the truth is that I put in somewhere around 12 hrs of "rotation time" this entire week. It's official - I'm sleeping the rest of my 3rd yr away. Do I list that on my Cv under "list of accomplishments," or under "extracurricular activities"??? Hmmmmmm :hardy:

Congrats on being done, AF_PedsBoy!

I have 6 more f***ing weeks of rotations...not that I'm bitter or anything. :rolleyes: +pissed+

Let me just say that I love this thread.

I'm so freaking burned out it's ridiculous. I'm in Internal Medicine right now (23 days left) and I can't go through the motions anymore. I'm so tired of following around an intern and acting interested in round. I hate it. I'm so tired of everyone expecting you to "know your patient better than anyone else" I don't want to know my patient better than anyone else! I don't care what they had for breakfast 2 weeks prior to admission. I just want to know the important crap that everybody else knows. And I am sick and tired of being the 7th person to interview a patient, I'd be pissed off at me too! God I can't wait for ED. I just leave at 3 without telling my intern because I sure as hell am not going to go up to him and ask him if I can help so I can be assigned to call appointments for all of his patients. I'm done. I can't take it anymore. I'm actually couting DOWN THE FREAKING DAYS UNTIL I'M DONE WITH THIS CRAP. WHY CAN'T IT JUST END NOW? WHY? WHY? AARRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god that felt good.

pimpdogg said:
Let me just say that I love this thread.

I'm so freaking burned out it's ridiculous. I'm in Internal Medicine right now (23 days left) and I can't go through the motions anymore. I'm so tired of following around an intern and acting interested in round. I hate it. I'm so tired of everyone expecting you to "know your patient better than anyone else" I don't want to know my patient better than anyone else! I don't care what they had for breakfast 2 weeks prior to admission. I just want to know the important crap that everybody else knows. And I am sick and tired of being the 7th person to interview a patient, I'd be pissed off at me too! God I can't wait for ED. I just leave at 3 without telling my intern because I sure as hell am not going to go up to him and ask him if I can help so I can be assigned to call appointments for all of his patients. I'm done. I can't take it anymore. I'm actually couting DOWN THE FREAKING DAYS UNTIL I'M DONE WITH THIS CRAP. WHY CAN'T IT JUST END NOW? WHY? WHY? AARRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god that felt good.

:laugh: :thumbup:

UCSFbound said:
I think I was meant to be a pathologist. :love:
2.5 weeks down, 3.5 more to go. :thumbup:
And remember. In pathology, you don't have to do an intern/transitional year. So med school is the absolute last time in your life where you have to sit in clinic with your thumb up your ass.

Ahh the premeds should read this.. Weird as it may be... I felt burnt out near the end of psych. Then I hit Ob (which I expected would be brutal and it was) and I didnt even want to show up. I tried to limit the work I did and let the girls who wanted to do Ob to deliver the babies. After doing about 5 of them I decided I was comfortable. Then I hit Peds and I feel like I got my second wind. I just need it to last until Oct 1 when I am done with all the important rotations.

Good luck all...
Ectopic

Wow - didn't know this would touch such a nerve, but I'm glad for an anonymous forum where people can gnash their teeth without worrying about not looking like a bright-eyed, chirpy go-getter. I am having to work harder and harder to not look completely sullen and morose.

At this point, it's all I can do not to bring a fork in and stab it in people's foreheads: attendings, residents, patients, fellow students, etc.

:love: third year

i hate you all so much for ruining what was nearly uncontrollable excitment about start med school in fall.

OHHHH ME TOO!!!
I am on surgery right now and if I have to spend one more day with these arogant meat heads, I am going to lose it. I am so tired of these attendings with the whole " I am right becasue I am the attending" and "the guess what I am thinking" pimp questions I could just puke. Get me the freak outta here!!
by the way, that felt really good

I remember the dog days of third-year... If you think you've been to hell and back in medical school, you'll surely enjoy internship! Just when you thought they couldn't hurt you anymore... they find entirely new ways to torture you! House of God is as accurate a description of house staff life today as it was 26 years ago.

AndyMilonakis said:
And remember. In pathology, you don't have to do an intern/transitional year. So med school is the absolute last time in your life where you have to sit in clinic with your thumb up your ass.

You mean, I cant put my thumb up my ass anymore? Anyone got the guiac card and the developer? I think thats ultimately what sent me to the "dark side of medicine", ie pathology (rads=prelim=death by 2nd month of internship), other than my natural love for all that does not talk.

Update: On Family Med we do 1.5 weeks of hospital service as part of our rotation. I was able to convince the clerkship director to allow me to finish off the last 3 weeks of my rotation on inpatient service instead of coming back to clinic. That means I have to round on 2...count 'em,2 patients each day, then I am home by lunch. Would be home sooner if Fam Med resident on inpatient service knew how to practice medicine/and or expedite rounds. Hasta la vista Fam Med Clinic!

powermd said:
I remember the dog days of third-year... If you think you've been to hell and back in medical school, you'll surely enjoy internship! Just when you thought they couldn't hurt you anymore... they find entirely new ways to torture you! House of God is as accurate a description of house staff life today as it was 26 years ago.

great! can't wait, sign me up already. :sleep:

i'm just so glad i'm done with internal medicine...only 4 weeks of neuro and 4 weeks of family left.

Today was a first. I just left when I was on call because I had already worked up 2 patients and I'm not going to be in tomorrow. So rather than go find my intern (who pretty much ignores me anyway) I just decided to leave. If, and I mean if, she notices I'm sure she'll forget by Wednesday. I can honestly say that I've never left without telling my intern. This year must end. I need it to end before I just stop going at all.

oh god, i spoke way too soon. my first day of neuro and i'm already counting the days. what's a girl gotta do to get some freakin' rest?! first day and i was there from 7am to 8pm. this is not looking good... :(

for his non-stop bitching and moaning, I come to this forum and calm myself. I feel a little better knowing that he's not faking his misery... I really hope fourth year is better for the sake of his sanity and mine.

-Burnt out from being a supportive girlfriend

Yep, third year sucks. I hate surgeons. :mad: They sure are a "special" breed

At my school we have a "hard" semester (med, peds, surg), and an "easy" semester (everything else primary care). The horrible thing is that this "easy" semester is actually taking up more of my life and time than the "hard" one, and they actually care if you show up every day! I skipped two whole weeks each on surgery and peds with some deft verbal misdirection and nobody gave a crap, and now if I miss just a few hours on one of these lite rotations, I get the friggin' third degree and my subjective evaluation grade tanks.

I hate this crap. Bring on fourth year and the path electives..

7 more weeks....

Just curious, I figured you guys would be the ones to ask. I'm about to start my third year and I'm actually really excited. I feel like I've been in college for 6 years now(with no breaks) and I don't think I could have taken it anymore. I just thought 3rd year would be a welcome change of routine/surroundings, but I also imagine that suddenly not having total control of my day would be a shock, too. (I never went to class and have bascially set my own schedule for the past 2 years, it's worked out well)
I guess my question is this: Does the excitement and interest level of third year make up for the loss of freedom, or are you sometimes nostalgic for the days when no one expected anything from you except to read all day long?

oompaloompa said:
Just curious, I figured you guys would be the ones to ask. I'm about to start my third year and I'm actually really excited. I feel like I've been in college for 6 years now(with no breaks) and I don't think I could have taken it anymore. I just thought 3rd year would be a welcome change of routine/surroundings, but I also imagine that suddenly not having total control of my day would be a shock, too. (I never went to class and have bascially set my own schedule for the past 2 years, it's worked out well)
I guess my question is this: Does the excitement and interest level of third year make up for the loss of freedom, or are you sometimes nostalgic for the days when no one expected anything from you except to read all day long?

DITTO for me. I already finished MS3, but i felt the same way as you. . .well actually i was extremely worried about whether i'd adjust to the lack of freedom in time to avoid major disasters like not waking up early enough, and i had no idea what to expect on the wards. But i was looking forward to the change, and let me tell you. . .it was awesome! I sure was burned out by the last rotation, but midway through my year off, I was missing it already. I hope you luck out and get assigned to amazing residents all year like I did (for the most part). Also the other medstudents in my track, whom i rotated with were a great bunch! I miss em. . . :(

oompaloompa said:
I guess my question is this: Does the excitement and interest level of third year make up for the loss of freedom

For about one day. After that you're just sleepy.