3rd year D.O med student interested in ACGME match but didnt graduate?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasman654

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this is a crazy question...My med school only required 90+ credits and some requirements to get in so I never ended up graduating in undergrad since it would have taken me a semester longer. I ended up doing decent on the USMLE so I wanted to apply MD for anesthesia/rads. Will MD residencies hold this against me?

:sick:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So this is a crazy question...My med school only required 90+ credits and some requirements to get in so I never ended up graduating in undergrad since it would have taken me a semester longer. I ended up doing decent on the USMLE so I wanted to apply MD for anesthesia/rads. Will MD residencies hold this against me?

:sick:

Nope

Yeah I've never seen a bachelors degree listed as a requirement, just 'candidate for MD or DO degree'.

On a similar note, what information does a residency program have about undergraduate course work? Do they see transcripts? For instance, let's say you took a few classes at a community college one summer that weren't part of your BS/BA program...do you still list that on ERAS as a 'school attended'?

Members don't see this ad :)
What DO school doesn't require a bachelors degree? I'm curious

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't something that just DO schools do. Many MD schools have a similar requirement. I've heard that it's very hard to be admitted in with only 90 credits though.

OP, this will def not be held against you

Thanks guys I really appreciate your responses!

Koan, from what I heard you list all the colleges you went to on ERAS, but the one you got your degree from is where you put your degree down.

So my school, MSU COM, only requires 90 credits and I think ALOT of the other ones are the same from what I can remember when I was applying.

Schools require you to only have 90 credits when you apply, yes, but I'm unaware of any that allow you to matriculate without graduating. Interesting that MSU does.

Schools require you to only have 90 credits when you apply, yes, but I'm unaware of any that allow you to matriculate without graduating. Interesting that MSU does.

Maybe you should look into it then? Quick Google search brought up several DO and MD schools with a 90 credit minimum requirement for matriculation-including pritzker (first md one I saw). When I was applying back in the day I saw this all the time for prerequisite.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe you should look into it then? Quick Google search brought up several DO and MD schools with a 90 credit minimum requirement for matriculation-including pritzker (first md one I saw). When I was applying back in the day I saw this all the time for prerequisite.

I have no reason to look into it. I'm not applying nor am I advising anyone who is. I simply said *I*, personally, hadn't heard of it. I never said it didn't exist. In fact, I acknowledged that MSU doesn't require a Bachelor's by commenting that it was interesting. Just because someone hasn't seen/heard of something doesn't mean they need to research it.

I have no reason to look into it. I'm not applying nor am I advising anyone who is. I simply said *I*, personally, hadn't heard of it. I never said it didn't exist. In fact, I acknowledged that MSU doesn't require a Bachelor's by commenting that it was interesting. Just because someone hasn't seen/heard of something doesn't mean they need to research it.

Your right you said you had never heard of it, but the way you phrased it was with a connotation of superiority/not believing schools had a minimum requirement that didn't include a bachelor's. At least that's how it came off to me.

Your right you said you had never heard of it, but the way you phrased it was with a connotation of superiority/not believing schools had a minimum requirement that didn't include a bachelor's. At least that's how it came off to me.

Perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions. Just a thought. Read it however you wish.

MSU is weird. They also don't do interviews for most applicants.