No 3rd year surgery letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KirksvilleKrunk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got placed with 6 different preceptors for my 3rd year surgery rotation. Different attending each week. It was a mix of general surg, ortho, ophto, ENT, urology, and derm. It wasn't enough time to make a rapport with any attending, and I barely did anything except shadow/ occasional suturing, and only interviewed patients/presented to one attending. I was hoping to get a LOR from my surgery rotation but that seems dumb now because what would the letter even say? Do I need to do a 4th year away in something surgical to get a surgeons letter? I was thinking of radiology or anesthesiology but feeling pretty screwed about that. I thought these specialties like to see a surgery letter. The only remotely surgical specialty I have left is interventional cards (6 weeks with one attending). Should I go all out here for that LOR? Rest of my rotations would be Psych, FM, OB GYN, and Peds. I may have a different attending each week for those.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still a 3rd year, Wanted to apply for rads or anesthesiology. Probably psych if I can't knock step 2 out of the park (or get a surgery letter....)
No point in a surgical letter. Get letters in your specialty

Reactions: 1 users
You definitely do not need a surgery letter for radiology. Anesthesia I'm not sure but I highly doubt it's a necessity.