No 3rd year surgery letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KirksvilleKrunk

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got placed with 6 different preceptors for my 3rd year surgery rotation. Different attending each week. It was a mix of general surg, ortho, ophto, ENT, urology, and derm. It wasn't enough time to make a rapport with any attending, and I barely did anything except shadow/ occasional suturing, and only interviewed patients/presented to one attending. I was hoping to get a LOR from my surgery rotation but that seems dumb now because what would the letter even say? Do I need to do a 4th year away in something surgical to get a surgeons letter? I was thinking of radiology or anesthesiology but feeling pretty screwed about that. I thought these specialties like to see a surgery letter. The only remotely surgical specialty I have left is interventional cards (6 weeks with one attending). Should I go all out here for that LOR? Rest of my rotations would be Psych, FM, OB GYN, and Peds. I may have a different attending each week for those.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You definitely do not need a surgery letter for radiology. Anesthesia I'm not sure but I highly doubt it's a necessity.