3rd year in under $80

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstrangelove

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a budget of $80, what books and equipment would you get to survive 3rd year? Which things can you get from drug reps (eg reflex hammer, Sanford, etc)?

Assume you're unsure of what residency you want to pursue, and you have the bare minimum already (stethoscope, penlight, ophthalm/oto).

Members don't see this ad.

You can use the end of your stethoscope or even your hand as a reflex hammer (really only works on the patellar though), and you can get free ones at residency fairs or from drug reps if they have them. Or just borrow. And you can usually snag a Sanford from a drug rep--although not always--and this is something you will want to have.

If you have a good library at your school, you can usually check out test prep books for a week or so (longer if they are older editions).

You can also get together with a few classmates who are on opposite schedules and each one of you buy the books for one rotation, then swap out after the shelf. That worked really well for me.

Must haves (things you won't want to borrow):

Tarascon pharmacopaeia (if you don't have a PDA)
Boards and Wards
Maxwells
Sanford
Johns Hopkins IM (little blue book)
A pregnancy wheel (free from reps)

That can probably be done in <$80, especially if you get the books used.

sophiejane said:
You can use the end of your stethoscope or even your hand as a reflex hammer (really only works on the patellar though), and you can get free ones at residency fairs or from drug reps if they have them. Or just borrow. And you can usually snag a Sanford from a drug rep--although not always--and this is something you will want to have.

If you have a good library at your school, you can usually check out test prep books for a week or so (longer if they are older editions).

You can also get together with a few classmates who are on opposite schedules and each one of you buy the books for one rotation, then swap out after the shelf. That worked really well for me.

Boards and Wards
Maxwells
Sanford

agree with above. stethoscope, penlight are necessary. reflex hammer, while nice, would be available from a drug rep. maxwell's is crucial. an antibiotic guide can be downloaded onto a palm for free (hopkins). epocroates the same. same with a pregnancy wheel.

in terms of books, there's another thread, but definately buy step up to medicine. for everything else, you should obtain a copy of...
blueprints peds and NMS peds. surgical recall. some surgery textbook. and blueprints ob. and have a question book for each rotation. if you want to purchase, check out ebay. there are some some piraters out there who have electronic versions of most of these resources. most medical libraries have a good supply. and even your local public library might have a couple. otherwise, arrange with classmates on other rotations to trade books.

that said, you're spending alot on your medical education already. don't short change yourself now. but don't buy so many books that you don't know what to use.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is Boards and Wards? Can you borrow/trade this?

Is Maxwell's and Sanford as essential as everyone says? Can you get them for free? Can't they be replaced by PDA?

What is Johns Hopkins IM?

sophiejane said:

Boards and Wards
Maxwells
Sanford

I thought the little blue book was Pocket Medicine (ISBN 0781744474) by Mass Gen. Do you have a PDA. If so get all the free stuff you can and you can eliminate Pharmacopaeia w/ epocrates. I have Epocrates essential $250 and it eliminates Pharmacopaeia, sanford, 5 minute clinical consult and other PDA programs. Talk to Pharmacists and drug reps about this program to curb paying for it. I obtained mine for free for 2 years. I think $80 is unreasonable unless you have a good library that has pocket books (pocket medicine, recall series, blueprints, etc.) and question books (pretest or others).
Boards and Wards is a Lippincott review book. It is in outline format and covers most 3rd year rotations. Recall for the USMLE 2 comes out in October. I am personally a big fan of the recall series when it is combined with other sources.

To the OP, I think your question also depends on what your desired specialty is.

Tarascon pharmacopaeia
Maxwells
Sanford

These are the only books I use. I dont use a PDA.

sophiejane said:
You're right.

Is pocket medicine a must have even if you're going into surgery?

Which are must-haves regardless of specialty?

adam73180 said:

bump

adam73180 said:

I have seen people in specialties other than Medicine using it. I even used it for ENT and Ortho. Not that useful for clinics but good to have for pre and post-op. I am sure there is something better for surgery but b/c I have no desire to become a surgeon I didn't figure it was advantageous to buy extra books. I plan to use pocket medicine during residency as well.

Be careful calling it the little blue book as there might be some docs around that have the older edition and it was the little black book.