3rd year Med student... Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SunnyStudent

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a 3rd year US IMG student growing an interest in PM&R. I can't say I know everything about the job but unfortunately this is one of those specialties med school offers very little incite. Based on what I have read about the career in PM&R and other doctors advice, I can say I really want to know more. (I read the stickies which were great btw!)

First off I am an average 3rd year US IMG with a step 1 in the low 200's. Does this put me in the running?

Second, I am stuck in my core rotations here in NY area till May (none dealing with PM&R). What advice would you give regarding scheduling 4th year electives. I want to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" in that I get to see what its like to practice physiatry and at the same time butt heads with attending to brush up my application (LOR/ect.). Any places in particular (Michigan/NYC/Florida) area that would be worthwhile to do a rotation? Any advice to polish my app in favor of PM&R?

I know I ask a lot, but if you can answer at least one of the questions I would be very greatful. THank you so much! Cheers.