3rd year rotations in Los Angeles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HKDO08

Ivan the Terrible
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking around for an elective "visiting student" rotation in Los Angeles. I seem to only find places that only accept fourth year students (i.e. USC, UCLA, etc.) Anyone know of places that accept outside third years? I was thinking of doing the elective in either internal medicine (including subspecialty) or pediatrics. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi ... actually i think most electives only take students who have completed their core clerkships ... is there any particular reason why you want to do an away elective so early in third year?

Members don't see this ad :)
dara678 said:
hi ... actually i think most electives only take students who have completed their core clerkships ... is there any particular reason why you want to do an away elective so early in third year?

I must get into a residency program in the Los Angeles area because my fiance's career is in LA. So I'm a bit anxious to get down there, see how it's like, meet people, etc. My elective would be in January. I'm mostly interested in USC, but I think their website says no third years. :(

HKDO08 said:
I must get into a residency program in the Los Angeles area because my fiance's career is in LA. So I'm a bit anxious to get down there, see how it's like, meet people, etc. My elective would be in January. I'm mostly interested in USC, but I think their website says no third years. :(

maybe ask about rancho los amigos. i'm there right now, and the endocrine service is excellent, although not crazy busy because it's a rehab hospital. it's affiliated with USC and they might accept third years.

oh i see ... actually i am an MSIII at usc ... i think you'll find the doctors pretty great here (at least i do lol)

anyways, i wouldn't worry about it if you can't get an elective before the end of third year in terms of residency issues -- i think you'll have a great chance if you do a sub-i here at the beginning of the summer next year. although i know it must be hard to be away from your fiance :( :(

for the electives at usc, you have to have completed your core clerkships first :(