3rd year UK MBBS student moving to USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shah101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently found out that my application under a family-based category to get a green card (permanent residence) has been approved for the USA. I am now a 3rd year med student in the UK, and am interested in trading in the US after completing my F1 year in England.

At my med school, my finals are in 4th year and 5th year is purely clinical experience with no assessments. I was thinking of also doing an intercalated BSc between years 4 and 5 (bringing my medical degree to a total of 6 years). I wanted to know when would be the best time to do USMLEs Step 1, 2 and 2CS? Also, what would strengthen my chances of securing a residency position alongside having a green card?

Thanks
Jay

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 is best taken immediately after the pre-clinical years. The minutiae that you're expected to know for the exam is quickly forgotten in the clinical years. Step 2 (both CS and CK) is best taken after at least a year of clinical exposure to the basic fields of medicine (Psych, Family, Peds, IM, OB/GYN, Neuro, And Surgery). If you could, I'd recommend getting clinical exposure in the US before taking either component of Step 2. And Step 3 can't be taken until after graduation and all other Step components have been taken and passed. It's also important to know that you'll have seven years to complete all components of the USMLE in many states, starting with your first sitting of Step 1.