3rd year US medical student but non us citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a 3rd year medical student (in US) currently rotating in hospitals in Tennessee. Just to be clear, I am not a US citizen or a Green card holder. I am on a Student visa and I did my medical school in US.

I'll be applying for residency next year and I was wondering if there's a list of residency programs who are willing to offer visa to students like me when I join residency.

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me? or who have some experience regarding this? Please let me know.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the specialty. OB/GYN has a residency database that can be pretty out of date - listing programs that don't exist for example. So it would be a matter of looking at individual programs' websites or contacting them directly. In other specialties that info may be all collected somewhere- though you'd still need to verify it.

Do you have an idea what you'd like to apply in?

FREIDA lists whether programs consider H or J visas. As an international student in a US medical school on an F visa, you would usually want to complete your PGY-1 on an OPT extension of your F, followed by an H. Hence, you can search FREIDA to sort out which programs offer an H. Ultimately, you should contact programs and ask, as their policies may have changed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What about J1 visa, I heard alot of FMG get J1 visa. Do I look for only H1 visa or should I consider J1 visa also?
I have no idea what Iam interested in right now. Both IM and surgery seem pretty interesting to me so far (those are the only rotations I have completed)

It depends on the specialty. OB/GYN has a residency database that can be pretty out of date - listing programs that don't exist for example. So it would be a matter of looking at individual programs' websites or contacting them directly. In other specialties that info may be all collected somewhere- though you'd still need to verify it.

Do you have an idea what you'd like to apply in?

I have no idea what Iam interested in right now. Both IM and surgery seem pretty interesting to me so far (those are the only rotations I have completed)

FREIDA lists whether programs consider H or J visas. As an international student in a US medical school on an F visa, you would usually want to complete your PGY-1 on an OPT extension of your F, followed by an H. Hence, you can search FREIDA to sort out which programs offer an H. Ultimately, you should contact programs and ask, as their policies may have changed.

What about J1 visa, I heard alot of FMG get J1 visa. Do I look for only H1 visa or should I consider J1 visa also?

You can always get a J visa. Almost all programs will be willing to give you a J visa, it's easier and cheaper for the program to do so. However, with a J visa you'll need to return to your home country for 2 years after completing your training, or you'll need to find a J waiver position.

Why don't you read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/orientation-about-visas.450230/

You also require a Statement of Need, for J1, from your home country, and these (at least in Canada) are very limited and/or non-existent in certain specialties