Are Green Card holders treated equally in the residency match as US citizens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostBaccEngineer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked everywhere for this kind of question but having trouble finding an answer specifically for IMGs. If a US permanent resident graduated internationally, would they be considered non-us IMG or us IMG? I am assuming from US med schools they are treated equally?

Members don't see this ad.

I have looked everywhere for this kind of question but having trouble finding an answer specifically for IMGs. If a US permanent resident graduated internationally, would they be considered non-us IMG or us IMG? I am assuming from US med schools they are treated equally?
Yes, if you don't need a work visa, you're in a better position than other IMGs.

Reactions: 1 users
I imagine green card AMG students are treated equally as US AMG students. Green card IMGs are probably treated similarly to US IMGs.

The primary difference between them and non-US AMGs/IMGs is they don't require a visa, which is a long and expensive process. Some programs don't offer J-1 visas.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A GC holder is effectively treated like a US citizen in almost all aspects of daily life/employment barring some jobs involving security clearances, military, and other government positions. You don't have anything to worry about.

But... if you can pull the trigger and naturalize - do it! It's fun.

Yes, it's just a screening tool to see if you have a permit to work because the program may not sponsor visas. Beyond that, nobody cares