3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhop

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year and I'm worried - how bad it third year? ppl keep telling me that it is absolutely horrible. but shouldnt it be interesting? and we're not really working every weekend - are we??!! Will I still be able to spend time with my boyfriend? family? there have to be good days...right???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi bhop! I posted this exact same question last year around this time, and since then I've found that third year is awesome! Yes, it can be tiring, but it is so much more interesting to see the application of all the stuff we learned first and second year. I love the fact that I get to do something real now, instead of just studying and taking tests. You do not have to work every weekend. Most of the time we have to go in one weekend day each week for rounds, but the vast majority of time it does not take all day. I started the year with surgery, then ob, and I was amazed and thrilled about how much hands on stuff I got to do, despite being a new third year student and knowing absolutely nothing. I didn't spend near as much time studying this year as I did the first two years, and my grades have been just as good, if not better. The studying is much more relevant now, as you get to do a lot of reading about your patients instead of rote memorization. Some how the information sticks better when it pertains to a real person. I have plenty of time to spend with my husband. There are rough days, and days when you are just exhausted, but there are easy days too, and overall it is so worth it! Good luck!

It was a lot better than everyone told me it would be, just like everything else from premed on up.

You will work pretty hard though. You will have days off, even on the hardest rotations -- but get used to "would you like to come in on Saturday or Sunday?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not third year you should be worried about, it is second year.

Its not third year you should be worried about, it is second year.

I agree. 2nd year is like being forced to eat without being hungry, I mean you have to study even when you can't stand it anymore. I'm glad it'll be over next week, but again I/m not very looking forward because step 1 is weeks away. Anyways I think anything is better than this crappy year.

I agree. 2nd year is like being forced to eat without being hungry, I mean you have to study even when you can't stand it anymore. I'm glad it'll be over next week, but again I/m not very looking forward because step 1 is weeks away. Anyways I think anything is better than this crappy year.
t-minus 6 days until step 1 is over with :D

Second year is by far the worst year in med school. Although the material is more "interesting" than first year, the material just keeps coming without letting up. Add to that PBL's, small group discussions, labs and the other things that med school throws at you and your time is at a premium. Then after your are finally finished with the year you have the USMLE step 1 looming in the horizon.

I'm excited for third year. I look forward to getting to actually do what I'm in med school to do.... learn how to help patients. I also get excited about discovering my future specialty. I don't know what I want to do right now, but I'm hoping that I will before third year is over!

I'm a first year and I'm worried - how bad it third year? ppl keep telling me that it is absolutely horrible. but shouldnt it be interesting? and we're not really working every weekend - are we??!! Will I still be able to spend time with my boyfriend? family? there have to be good days...right???

It all depends on your definition of "absolutely horrible."

If your definition of "absolutely horrible" means being forced to sit in the same Starbucks, day in and day out, studying the same syllabus, seeing the same people, doing the same thing every single day, then third year will be a blast. Every day is a little bit different. (Well, except for internal medicine where it felt a lot like a tortuous version of Groundhog's day, but that's a different story.) You also get to do stuff that most people in this world will never do - deliver a baby. Help a couple hear their baby's heartbeat for the first time. Put a tube down someone's throat to help them breath. Cut out cancers. Talk to a schizophrenic patient before and after treatment (sometimes an amazing difference).

If your definition of "absolutely horrible" means working 15 hour days, being really tired all the time, working a lot of weekends, constantly having to move around the state, having to learn a whole NEW set of skills every 6-8 weeks or so, being graded on a totally subjective scale, and generally looking like a clueless doofus 75% of the time, then you're going to HATE third year. Before third year, I didn't realize that it was possible to fall asleep in the middle of a conversation with someone. What do you know? - it is. If you're a creature of habit, then you will really, really hate third year as well. Enjoying third year requires some degree of adaptability.

You're not going to work every weekend - but your boyfriend and family will have to be a little bit flexible as well. If they have something that they want you to be at (a wedding, a party, etc.), then they need to let you know in advance. You can't just waltz into the clerkship director's office and casually let them know that you need to be excused from the rotation in a couple of days - they will probably not let you go. And sometimes you'll be working very weird hours, like when you have call or are on night float - your friends and family need to understand this too.

And there are GREAT days, and TERRIBLE days. I do have classmates that have passionately hated every minute of third year, but most of my classmates are happier in third year than they were in first year. It's very individual.

Second year is by far the worst year in med school. Although the material is more "interesting" than first year, the material just keeps coming without letting up. Add to that PBL's, small group discussions, labs and the other things that med school throws at you and your time is at a premium. Then after your are finally finished with the year you have the USMLE step 1 looming in the horizon.

I completely disagree first year was by far and away the worst.

It all depends on your definition of "absolutely horrible."

If your definition of "absolutely horrible" means being forced to sit in the same Starbucks, day in and day out, studying the same syllabus, seeing the same people, doing the same thing every single day, then third year will be a blast. Every day is a little bit different. (Well, except for internal medicine where it felt a lot like a tortuous version of Groundhog's day, but that's a different story.) You also get to do stuff that most people in this world will never do - deliver a baby. Help a couple hear their baby's heartbeat for the first time. Put a tube down someone's throat to help them breath. Cut out cancers. Talk to a schizophrenic patient before and after treatment (sometimes an amazing difference).

If your definition of "absolutely horrible" means working 15 hour days, being really tired all the time, working a lot of weekends, constantly having to move around the state, having to learn a whole NEW set of skills every 6-8 weeks or so, being graded on a totally subjective scale, and generally looking like a clueless doofus 75% of the time, then you're going to HATE third year. Before third year, I didn't realize that it was possible to fall asleep in the middle of a conversation with someone. What do you know? - it is. If you're a creature of habit, then you will really, really hate third year as well. Enjoying third year requires some degree of adaptability.

I couldnt agree more with this assessment. I hated third year mostly because of all the things mentioned in the last paragraph. I am so tired of being graded this way or that for no reason and being the biggest idiot in the hospital. Plus, I think people play down how hard it is to both work a 14 hour day and still have to study for that shelf coming up next week. Shelf exams are not easy and they require more knowledge (often much more) than what you can gain on the wards, so studying is still a significant part of your schooling, albeit less than second year. I can't wait til its over, only 8 more weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldnt agree more with this assessment. I hated third year mostly because of all the things mentioned in the last paragraph. I am so tired of being graded this way or that for no reason and being the biggest idiot in the hospital. Plus, I think people play down how hard it is to both work a 14 hour day and still have to study for that shelf coming up next week. Shelf exams are not easy and they require more knowledge (often much more) than what you can gain on the wards, so studying is still a significant part of your schooling, albeit less than second year. I can't wait til its over, only 8 more weeks!

I'd rather have shelf exams. We only have 4 shelf exams, and the rest are departmental exams. At least you know what to study for shelf exams (if you even have time to study).

I like third year more than M1 and M2 year, but I'll be so glad to be done with it in a little over 2 months.

At least in M1 and M2 year I could basically tell what I'd get in a class, now this year with all the subjective grading, I may think I'm doing well, but I'm not doing as well as I had originally thought.

To summarize what everyone has said so far in one sentence:

Third year is the most incredible experience you will never want to go through again... :laugh:

M3 year was ALOT of work, but it was SO MUCH FUN! And it blazed right by! I cant believe Ill be an M4 in 8 more weeks!

To summarize what everyone has said so far in one sentence:

Third year is the most incredible experience you will never want to go through again... :laugh:

Just finished Surgery Core. Truer words have never been spoken. MS-IV here I come!!!

You will work pretty hard though. You will have days off, even on the hardest rotations -- but get used to "would you like to come in on Saturday or Sunday?"

That reminds me of my most hated 3rd year moment, just thinking about it makes me angry.
Rounding on a Thursday, as we finish the attending turns to the residents and proclaims:
"The students can have tomorrow off. I will not be hear so they can have a three day weekend."
Most of the students try to contain their excitement. Then the unthinkable...........
Student Doctor Tool says "hey I can come in and work with so and so's team instead!" :eek:
Attending: "Hmm sounds alright."
Toolie McTool face "I don't think it's fair that I come in and the other students don't."+pissed+
At this point we are all mentally screaming at the top of our lungs.
Attending: "Well I guess all the students can come in tomorrow."
Attending walks away the students are in utter shock. The one redeeming moment comes when one of the residents turns to this student and says "You are a douche bag."

It wasn't so much the fact that I had to come in the next day but that someone would brown nose then throw the rest of us under the bus because he felt it was unfair that only he had to come in for the thing he volunteered for.

Student Doctor Tool says "hey I can come in and work with so and so's team instead!" :eek:
Toolie McTool face "I don't think it's fair that I come in and the other students don't."

:eek::eek::eek: :mad:

Oh. My. God. That's unbelievable.

Attending walks away the students are in utter shock. The one redeeming moment comes when one of the residents turns to this student and says "You are a douche bag."

I agree. Wow. I hope he got ripped apart on his evals.

:boom: That must have been so infuriating. I really can't believe he would do that.

The one redeeming moment comes when one of the residents turns to this student and says "You are a douche bag."

It wasn't so much the fact that I had to come in the next day but that someone would brown nose then throw the rest of us under the bus because he felt it was unfair that only he had to come in for the thing he volunteered for.

Wow

It will definitely come back to haunt him though.

Hi! I'n an Italian Student. I study medicine in Rome and I'm at the 4th yr. How long is medical school in UK?? when do you begin to stay in the hospital?? how long is the specialization??

Hi! I'n an Italian Student. I study medicine in Rome and I'm at the 4th yr. How long is medical school in UK?? when do you begin to stay in the hospital?? how long is the specialization??

It may be easier to get an answer in the UK section of the forum. However, med school in the UK is generally 5 or 6 years, and I think one starts working in the hospital (in the 6 year program) in year 4 or 5 (I honestly can't remember if it's 2 or 3 years on the wards). Specialization, no clue. This is all based on my friend who went to Imperial College (6 yrs).

mmm...I was sure that it was 4 yrs long..in any case thanks:D

mmm...I was sure that it was 4 yrs long..in any case thanks:D

Well, if you meant US instead of UK, then, yes, med school is 4 years, and most places start in the hospitals in 3rd year. Residencies vary from 3-7 years or so.

The UK generally includes a BSc degree in with their MBBS. (I think I'm saying that right... so many letters. Maybe the entire degree BS + MD equivalent is MBBS.... hmmmm....)

It was a lot better than everyone told me it would be, just like everything else from premed on up.

So very true. Pre-meds and the like seem to enjoy amping up the percieved work load, don't they?

I'm in the 2<3<1<4 camp. However, when I think about all the time and spent researching residencies, setting up rotations for MSIV, that sort of makes me think MSIII may have been worse.

Subjective Grading on the wards:

Attending/Resident to MS3: "Jump Grasshopper!"

New MS3: "How high Sir?"; Grade = Barely Pass

Seasoned MS3: Jumps till Attending / Resident sees what they like; Grade = Honors

Subjective Grading on the wards:

Attending/Resident to MS3: "Jump Grasshopper!"

New MS3: "How high Sir?"; Grade = Barely Pass

Seasoned MS3: Jumps till Attending / Resident sees what they like; Grade = Honors

MS3 is busy but for the most part it's better than MS2. Basically you can count on Passing unless ur completely psychotic or just dont show up for rounds with no excuse (btw. i know 1 student who just slept in on more than 2 occasions and missed rounds--> he still HP, I know its BS). Also, seems to be alot of grade inflation in many schools. Shelves are tough, but for many rotations in my school, you only need to be 7th percentile to pass.
However, if you want to honor clerkships, then it's really tough. You have to be liked on evals and also be in the 90% percentile on shelves. But more or less if u try hard, u'll end up honoring a couple of rotations at least. Hopefully one of them is Medicine :)

That reminds me of my most hated 3rd year moment, just thinking about it makes me angry.
Rounding on a Thursday, as we finish the attending turns to the residents and proclaims:
"The students can have tomorrow off. I will not be hear so they can have a three day weekend."
Most of the students try to contain their excitement. Then the unthinkable...........
Toolie McTool face "I don't think it's fair that I come in and the other students don't."+pissed+
At this point we are all mentally screaming at the top of our lungs.
Attending: "Well I guess all the students can come in tomorrow."

He should have gotten his *** kicked in the parking lot.