MD 4.0 cGPA/sGPA, 36 MCAT, chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toosoontoparty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be fine in terms of your application as you have strong numbers as well as diverse extracurriculars that show dedication. Since you're a Michigan resident, I'm guessing you're treating UMich as your "safety," but even so, 11 schools seems to be on the lower end for the number of schools given how competitive these schools can be -- I might add a few more to get the number of schools up to 15-20 if you can afford to do so. Do you have a regional preference you can use to add a few more schools to your list? Why not some other NYC (Mt. Sinai or NYU) or Chicago (UChicago, Northwestern) schools or since you're applying to Stanford, UCSF?

I've been lurking on this site for a while, and I recognize your Yo Yo Da picture. lol. Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely have to add more schools to my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks pretty solid all-around but nothing really sticks out at the top-tier schools. I'd say you have a decent shot at Emory, Vanderbilt, Duke, and especially UMich but the rest may be tough.

As a lurker of this site you should know that your stats are really great (phenomenal really, great job; not sure why it was dean's list every semester with a 4 oh--should it be president's list?), but that they tend to look for research and you have exclusively listed these schools. What was the duration and intensity with the senior thesis? Presentations or publications? Is it possible to get back with that prof to continue the research? Start new research?

I think you have a great shot at any of the schools listed. I'll disagree with Si Se Puede and say that you don't have to have something extra-special to get into the top schools. You need to have a well-rounded application, which you do. And I'd argue that your international volunteering experience is something quite different at least from the little I know about it. That said, med school is a crap shoot, so definitely add a few safety schools. I'm sure you'd rather go to a mid-tier school than having to re-apply. Applying to 15 should be plenty, assuming you can have a normal conversation in an interview.

Last edited:
I think you are good to go for your schools on your list. However like other have pointed out, it is a very short list and very top heavy. You might want to add some more "mid-tiers" to your app. As for your research, did you get a poster or a conference abstract out of it?

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are good to go for your schools on your list. However like other have pointed out, it is a very short list and very top heavy. You might want to add some more "mid-tiers" to your app. As for your research, did you get a poster or a conference abstract out of it?

Exactly. Your list is short and top-heavy. Add a few mid-tiers (rank 20-50 or so) that you'd be happy going to -- nothing with stats so low that they will know they're your 'safeties' or they'll screen you out for that reason alone. (Why should they waste their interview resources s on a student who is unlikely to accept?)

Hi everyone,

I didn't seriously consider the possibility of going to medical school until my junior year. Although I managed to finish all pre-reqs before graduation, my hospital-related activities were squeezed into my senior year and gap year. Please read over my stats and point out any areas for improvement.

B.S. in Biology, MI resident, Class of 2013
Cumulative GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 36; 13-P, 11-V, 12-B

Research:
-Senior thesis at a cardiology lab
-Currently working as a lab tech

Extracurricular & Leadership:
-Editor of a campus literary magazine
-School prizes in writing
-Exec board member of a cultural club
-Merit scholarships; PBK; Dean's List for all quarters
-Summer study abroad program through a prestigious institution

Volunteering:
-University hospital (150 hours)
-Good-will community medical center (100 hours)
-30 hours of shadowing (multiple disciplines)
-Private English tutor for foreign students and researchers (non-paid, 150 hours total)
-International volunteering as an English tutor for students from underprivileged backgrounds (8 non-consecutive months)

Schools to which I am applying:
-Stanford
-Yale
-JHU
-Duke
-Harvard
-WashU in St. Louis
-Cornell
-Vanderbilt
-Columbia
-Emory
-U Michigan

Please let me know what my chances are for these schools. Thanks.
Shadowing a physician is not considered to be "volunteering" BTW, as it helps no one but you. Unless you have some experience where additional shadowing is implied due to direct support/assistance to a physician while with patients, you might consider acquiring another ~20 hours of dedicated shadowing to make those schools that particularly value it happier. Otherwise, your experiences look comprehensive.

Chances excellent, but the one thing that worries me is that your ECs are all college-based. Nothing community oriented. The summer study is not an EC, but academic activity, to my eye.

Pitt, Baylor, NYU, Rochester, U VA, one of the U TX's, could also be on the list as well. Nothing wrong with aiming high. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I didn't seriously consider the possibility of going to medical school until my junior year. Although I managed to finish all pre-reqs before graduation, my hospital-related activities were squeezed into my senior year and gap year. Please read over my stats and point out any areas for improvement.

B.S. in Biology, MI resident, Class of 2013
Cumulative GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 36; 13-P, 11-V, 12-B

Research:
-Senior thesis at a cardiology lab
-Currently working as a lab tech

Extracurricular & Leadership:
-Editor of a campus literary magazine
-School prizes in writing
-Exec board member of a cultural club
-Merit scholarships; PBK; Dean's List for all quarters
-Summer study abroad program through a prestigious institution

Volunteering:
-University hospital (150 hours)
-Good-will community medical center (100 hours)
-30 hours of shadowing (multiple disciplines)
-Private English tutor for foreign students and researchers (non-paid, 150 hours total)
-International volunteering as an English tutor for students from underprivileged backgrounds (8 non-consecutive months)

Schools to which I am applying:
-Stanford
-Yale
-JHU
-Duke
-Harvard
-WashU in St. Louis
-Cornell
-Vanderbilt
-Columbia
-Emory
-U Michigan

Please let me know what my chances are for these schools. Thanks.