4.0 GPA and 504 mcat, MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's amazing!! I wonder if the half Mexican helped you a bit though, unfortunately looks like brazilians are not considered URM :(((
I wonder the same thing! But hey, I'll take it and I'm grateful :)

You're gonna do great! My opinion, however, is that you retake MCAT. I know it's a pain in the ass, but I took it twice and improved on the retake. Looks like all you need improvement on is CARS, which is totally doable.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually a great question. I wonder, per capita, if upper SES black and Hispanic are appropriately represented (or even over-repped)

Get some numbers on your this.

I recommend retaking the MCAT before applying. Applying with an MCAT that low is risky, while a good MCAT score would set you up to succeed a lot more. I see retaking the MCAT as a much lower risk.

Edit: To clarify - I am speaking MD only.

study again and retake. Its worth it.

He's Brazilian (with a green card)
This should definitely get him some leniency with the Verbal since I'm assuming english isn't his first language. That's a pretty common issue actually.

Reactions: 1 user
This should definitely get him some leniency with the Verbal since I'm assuming english isn't his first language. That's a pretty common issue actually.
Makes sense it would be a common issue, but is it commonly forgiven to score 37th percentile? I looked through a few places of appropriate LizzyM and didn't see many places going all the way down to 7

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, my first language isn't English. In fact I moved to the U.S when I was 18 years old, so before then I never spoke English on a daily basis except during English classes twice a week for a couple of hours and that was it.

Makes sense it would be a common issue, but is it commonly forgiven to score 37th percentile? I looked through a few places of appropriate LizzyM and didn't see many places going all the way down to 7
I said leniency not amnesty ;)

*Edit* yes that was a pun.

I guess really it comes down to how much practice/prep you did, Lyra26. If you feel you can improve on Verbal a retake could help you a lot. If you felt you prepared as well as possible and will get another 123, then makes sense to take the gamble and try for a very carefully crafted list of schools.

I would hold ESL students to an equal level. I mean unless they had 515. They have to show that they will be able to communicate with people . But it might just be because I am ESL and it didn't restrict my score.

I said leniency not amnesty ;)

*Edit* yes that was a pun.
Do you think I have a shot at an MD then? Most people said I should retake and I agree to some extent but I studied for a year for this exam so idk how much more I can improve.

I would hold ESL students to an equal level. I mean unless they had 515. They have to show that they will be able to communicate with people . But it might just be because I am ESL and it didn't restrict my score.
The 4.0 also seems at odds with a 123. Like you can't be that rough with English when you're acing every type of class in college !

The 4.0 also seems at odds with a 123. Like you can't be that rough with English when you're acing every type of class in college !
Makes me question the rigors of the 4.0

While this is very true, it doesn't mean my English is as bad to the point I can't communicate or understand concepts completely taught in English and my college grades reflect that. Verbal is a beast and many fluent Americans that have spoken English their whole lives don't do well because it is not only about understanding the passage but interpreting it, applying it to specific and broad questions - all within 10 mins.
I agree with your points. I am just giving you the perception that I get looking at the score. It is subjective in nature and unfortunately if you do pass the screens you will have to deal with the subjective gut reactions of adcoms to that score. It makes me wonder if you spent nights and days in the writing center , if it takes you longer to go over material , if your UG was difficult ...

I'm in NYIT so it's not like it's a 4.0 on a community college.. I worked hard for it and everyone congratulates my English, I guess what happened was that I found the passages too hard, got really nervous and ran out of time.
So did you feel fully prepared for your MCAT (you mentioned studying a year for it)? Or do you think you'd improve CARS on a retake? And how long ago was this MCAT administration?

Yeah, I am a very unlucky person I guess. My practice test scores were on the range of 124-126 so I wasn't expecting to turn out this bad.
I am not trying to be harsh, but the 124-126 would have allayed any fears I had.

Yeah, I am a very unlucky person I guess. My practice test scores were on the range of 124-126 so I wasn't expecting to turn out this bad.

A 123 really isn't that unexpected with a 125 average. It's more likely to go down than to go up in the real exam because of negative effects of stress and anxiety.

Do you think I have a shot at an MD then? Most people said I should retake and I agree to some extent but I studied for a year for this exam so idk how much more I can improve.
You always have a shot, I would definitely recommend you focus on improving your english skills before thinking about a re-take.

With your current score, you MAY have a shot at MD because your circumstances are unique. But I would recommend against applying until you either re-take the MCAT or create a school list that includes DO schools. Applying to only MD schools wouldn't end well with your current MCAT.

A 123 really isn't that unexpected with a 125 average. It's more likely to go down than to go up in the real exam because of negative effects of stress and anxiety.
Yes that's true. Thinking now perhaps I should have postponed it and gotten more practice on verbal.

The real question is do you think you could score above 510. If you think that is a tall order, then this entire discussion is a moot point because you have to apply with the score you have. In that case make a good school list , apply to do as well and hope people like your 4.0 and your entire package.

Thanks everyone, u all made really good points. I think right now I have to decide if DO is what I really want. Because if it is MD ONLY and I can't live with DO then I will bust my ass and take it again. So now that we are on th the topic, what are your opinions on DO vs MD? (I'm asking here instead of creating a new thread because you all made such good points so I look forward to hearing your opinions on that).
Use the search function. This conversation has been covered ad nauseum since time immemorial. Come back when you have a specific question.

Thanks everyone, u all made really good points. I think right now I have to decide if DO is what I really want. Because if it is MD ONLY and I can't live with DO then I will bust my ass and take it again. So now that we are on th the topic, what are your opinions on DO vs MD? (I'm asking here instead of creating a new thread because you all made such good points so I look forward to hearing your opinions on that).
Short version: DO overwhelming tend to go into primary care and the less competitive specialties and are generally disadvantaged for residency competitiveness compared to MD. If you're aiming for something very accessible like primary care you're good to go.

Long version: search around SDN. Many long threads on this.

Short version: DO overwhelming tend to go into primary care and the less competitive specialties and are generally disadvantaged for residency competitiveness compared to MD. If you're aiming for something very accessible like primary care you're good to go.

Long version: search around SDN. Many long threads on this.

Understatement of the century.

To be fair verbal has very little to do with communicating with other humans and everything to do with critical reading and pattern recognition

Reactions: 2 users
To be fair verbal has very little to do with communicating with other humans and everything to do with critical reading and pattern recognition
But, being fluent in English is a prerequisite to perform those tasks on the test .

Ok! Thanks for everyone for ur input, appreciate it and will use search bar.

most people that score a 123 verbal are native born Americans. Means nothing.

Most people that score a 123 don't have a 4.0 ... that's where it becomes interesting
I guess age-old adage comes into play then, a Cal 4.0 is not a podunk 4.0. (Not assuming anything about OP's undergrad here though, as I have no idea)

Is NYIT podunk
No idea. Like I said, no idea about OPs undergrad. Just saying, regardless of OPs situation, there are schools where a 4.0 student could reasonably get a 123 on CARS.

Wait what? What's cal? What's Podunk???
Cal is Berkeley. Podunk is a word for a random, no-name, in the middle of nowhere school.

Like I said, not relevant to your situation, just a general observation.