issa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Status
i posted 4 gen chem questions.
for question #24, do the real dat ask us questions about a triprotic acid?
for question #26, kaplan doesn't cover square pyramidal molecular geometry, so do we have to know the other molecular geometries from the chem text?

for question #94 i am confused about the oxidizing agent. in kaplan, the best oxidizing agent is Cl- not NA+, but in question 94 the strongest oxidizing agent is O2+.

Attachments

SgtSadhu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
also the best oxidizing agent is one that is reduced the easiest, aka can gain e- the easist, thats why the 0+ will be best

About the Ads
OP
I

issa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Status
SgtSadhu said:
is the answer for 24, c?
no, 44% of the gre test takers got this wrong.

aggie-master

Scrub
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
TX
Visit site
Status
Dentist
I think 24 is B.

I'm probably wrong but it reminds of those questions where at a certain pH it has all Hydrogens then it donates them one by one depending on the pH level.

If I'm right, it exists as H3A at a pH < 2, H2A- at a pH between 2 and 6, HA-2 at a pH between 6 and 10, and A-3 at a pH > 10.

SgtSadhu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
yea i made a stupid mistake when i said c, i got h2a- to be 1 x 10-9 so how do u know its either d or e?

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
issa said:
i posted 4 gen chem questions.
for question #24, do the real dat ask us questions about a triprotic acid?
for question #26, kaplan doesn't cover square pyramidal molecular geometry, so do we have to know the other molecular geometries from the chem text?

for question #94 i am confused about the oxidizing agent. in kaplan, the best oxidizing agent is Cl- not NA+, but in question 94 the strongest oxidizing agent is O2+.
#97 is a) O2+ The question asks which is the best oxidizing agent. If you remember the mnemonic, OIL RIG (oxidation is loss, reduction is gain - of electrons) an oxidizing agent will remove electrons from another molecule. Out of the options, the strongest of these is O2+. Oxygen is second in electronegativity only to Fluorine. That means that it will strip electrons off just about anything it can get it's hands on.

#26 is d) square pyrimidal. Xenon, while it has a noble gas configuration, is not inert.

Hope this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon#Compounds

About the Ads