4 In-state interviews and 0 out of state interviews - is this common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had 4 in-state interviews (out of 5 schools) and 0 out of state interviews (out of 15 schools or so) - just curious, does In-state really give you that big of an advantage?

Members don't see this ad.

yup, especially if it is a state funded public school.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have had 4 in-state interviews (out of 5 schools) and 0 out of state interviews (out of 15 schools or so) - just curious, does In-state really give you that big of an advantage?
Alternatively I've had more II from TX and NY public schools than secondaries at CA schools.

16 OOS II and 0 IS.

Where's this advantage you speak of?

Alternatively I've had more II from TX and NY public schools than secondaries at CA schools.

16 OOS II and 0 IS.

yeah the advantage is state-specific, and being from a super competitive state like CA doesn't help at all.

brb moving to TX and other lucky states now

@GrumpyGus I think it's pretty well-known that California is one of the few states that does not confer this advantage

Reactions: 1 user

I'm guessing you're from OH based on your screenname? OH is a pretty good state to be from, with a number of IS public schools. As a Texan I've gone 6/7 for IS public school IIs but heard nothing but silence and rejections from the ~15 or so OOS schools I applied to. State preference is a big thing.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're from OH based on your screenname? OH is a pretty good state to be from, with a number of IS public schools. As a Texan I've gone 6/7 for IS public school IIs but heard nothing but silence and rejections from the ~15 or so OOS schools I applied to. State preference is a big thing.

It's pretty crazy - just wondered to know if other people were in the same boat. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your interviews!

It's pretty crazy - just wondered to know if other people were in the same boat. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your interviews!

Here in Texas, I've known only a handful of successful pre-meds that have received acceptances OOS. Maybe twice as many that have received interviews outside of Texas.

That being said, we're lucky in that not only is our state fairly insular when it comes to medical schools, but most of the schools have very good reputations so when people apply OOS it's usually to the brand name schools on the coasts.

You too!

Here in Texas, I've known only a handful of successful pre-meds that have received acceptances OOS. Maybe twice as many that have received interviews outside of Texas.

That being said, we're lucky in that not only is our state fairly insular when it comes to medical schools, but most of the schools have very good reputations so when people apply OOS it's usually to the brand name schools on the coasts.

Yes, that was exactly what I did -- only applied to reach schools OOS. I'm not expecting to hear back from them, but I figured it was worth a shot. I would be more than happy to matriculate to one of our fantastic schools in Texas! We are so lucky.

Last edited:

Cavs I am from the same state as you and have 1 in state interview and 6 out of state interviews (5 OOS public schools). This process is so random

Cavs I am from the same state as you and have 1 in state interview and 6 out of state interviews (5 OOS public schools). This process is so random
Same situation, two in state II nothing from the OOS schools I applied to. And I'm still waiting for decisions from both state schools

Reactions: 1 users
It's pretty crazy - just wondered to know if other people were in the same boat.
My state has one (now 2 sort of) IS school(s) for 5 states. Safe to say I'm not in that boat

Members don't see this ad :)
This happens with superstars, Gus. And yes, folks, state schools favor the home team. Even private schools seem to have some instate "advantage", probably from mere IS demographics, rather than mission. Loyola, for example.

16 OOS II and 0 IS.

Reactions: 2 users

true it sure does seem that way. What OOS public schools were they, out of curiosity? You can PM if that's easier for you.

im Dual US/CANADIAN with no "specific state of residence" thus I am considered out of state for all schools and I have 5 IIs so I believe its a very random process

3is 3oos. OOS public school I am way above their LizzyM, oos private I am inline with their lizzyM.

Not uncommon. I did have several OOS interviews, but all my acceptances were IS, which was where I wanted to stay anyway.

It's also not too late to still be getting interviews. I think I got an II in February of my application year!

Reactions: 2 users
Would depend on the state. If you had 4 UC interviews and no OOS I'd be very surprised. But like 4 Texas and nothing else, no surprise there at all.

Reactions: 4 users
idk why I have 9 OOS interviews and only 2 IS interviews (florida) :(, still no interview from my hometown school too

idk why I have 9 OOS interviews and only 2 IS interviews (florida) :(, still no interview from my hometown school too
OK new rule, no frowney faces allowed in sentences about having eleven interviews by December

Reactions: 19 users

I've been the opposite. 5 OOS IIs and 1 acceptance and 4 IS IIs (just got 2 recently). I had basically given up on TX.

My rough perception would be

Texas >> much of the South, Midwest, Northwest > East Coast > CA, places with no dedicated state schools like Philadelphia, DC, Maine etc

Someone did a calculation, and TX actually has a lower percent chance than the rest of the country. When you have 4500+ applications like one of my schools told me and 10/11 schools, you're still having a large percentage of students not get in, especially since 2 schools only have 50 seats each.

Mississippi, Arkansas, WV, and the Dakotas are the easiest IMO.

Green is better or easier. MCAT rank is the lowest MCAT is 1. Sorted by LizzyM.

upload_2016-10-30_21-38-24-png.210349

Which states are the lucky ones?

My rough perception would be

Texas >> much of the South, Midwest, Northwest > East Coast > CA, places with no dedicated state schools like Philadelphia, DC, Maine etc

Someone did a calculation, and TX actually has a lower percent chance than the rest of the country. When you have 4500+ applications like one of my schools told me and 10/11 schools, you're still having a large percentage of students not get in, especially since 2 schools only have 50 seats each.

Mississippi, Arkansas, WV, and the Dakotas are the easiest IMO.

I feel like something is missing here. Looking at applicant vs matriculant MCAT performance...

California and Texas. Very comparable admit percents, 37% and 38%.

But for California, applicant to matriculant scores are 29.7 -> 32.7
While for Texas, applicant to matriculant scores are 27.3 -> 31.2

To me that applicant pool of 2.5 higher and matriculant pool of 1.5 higher reads as California being significantly tougher. The scores themselves don't look that different but this is on the end of a bell - a 33 is about twice as rare as a 31. Not to mention that the standard deviations around those applicant averages are the same (~5.5) which means a 33 on a Texan is far, far rarer than a 33 on a Californian.

I dunno man I remain very unconvinced. I think if you are a Texan with like a 3.7 / 32 you are far better off compared to a Californian clone than this chart would lead you to believe.

OK new rule, no frowney faces allowed in sentences about having eleven interviews by December
sorry my bad lol, just bummed out about U Miami

I feel like something is missing here. Looking at applicant vs matriculant MCAT performance...

California and Texas. Very comparable admit percents, 37% and 38%.

But for California, applicant to matriculant scores are 29.7 -> 32.7
While for Texas, applicant to matriculant scores are 27.3 -> 31.2

To me that applicant pool of 2.5 higher and matriculant pool of 1.5 higher reads as California being significantly tougher. The scores themselves don't look that different but this is on the end of a bell - a 33 is about twice as rare as a 31. Not to mention that the standard deviations around those applicant averages are the same (~5.5) which means a 33 on a Texan is far, far rarer than a 33 on a Californian.

I dunno man I remain very unconvinced. I think if you are a Texan with like a 3.7 / 32 you are far better off compared to a Californian clone than this chart would lead you to believe.
That's why they are organized by LizzyM and California is way below on the list compared to Texas. Texas is nicer compared to Cali, however it is no west Virginia. .

I've been the opposite. 5 OOS IIs and 1 acceptance and 4 IS IIs (just got 2 recently). I had basically given up on TX.

Wouldn't be surprised by this if you are a really high stat applicant. If your LizzyM is like 75+ then this might not be very abnormal. I say this because I have a friend (4.0/518) who literally received no Texas interviews In the first half of their cycle but had interviews at Stanford, Harvard, and UChicago before receiving their first Texas II

out of the 15 schools u applied to, how many were oos and how many IS?

Did you use TMDSAS and AMCAS data for Texas? Remember we have our own app process
Just amcas. It seems to include that data somehow considering it has 1600+ matriculants in Texas.

Just amcas. It seems to include that data somehow considering it has 1600+ matriculants in Texas.
Huh, come to think of it, how does AMCAS know the stats for Texans? Like median matriculant Texan MCAT isn't something they can know without it being reported to them

Huh, come to think of it, how does AMCAS know the stats for Texans? Like median matriculant Texan MCAT isn't something they can know without it being reported to them
I bet amcas and tmdsas talk to each other.

Born and raised in Texas.

15 II and 4 from TX. Two of the IS II were recent. Two of my OOS were from other state schools that favored their own state's applicants.

Oh to live in New Mexico. When you see those #state residents that apply versus #state residents interviewed.....I'm very jealous.

Finally, that state tuition--beautiful.

I may be out of the conventional form of thought here but I think I would say that a truly average applicant would be better served to havev New Mexico residency as opposed to Texan residency.

out of the 15 schools u applied to, how many were oos and how many IS?

I applied to 20 schools or so - 5 were in state

Out of state schools were:

Dartmouth
Georgetown
Drexel
New York Medical College
Boston U
U of Miami
Wake Forest
Rochester
Loyola
Indiana
Tulane
University of Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University
Emory
St. Louis U

- no II from any of them

I received the complete opposite response this cycle thus far. 5 OOS Interviews and only 1 IS interview out of 4 State schools :(

Wouldn't be surprised by this if you are a really high stat applicant. If your LizzyM is like 75+ then this might not be very abnormal. I say this because I have a friend (4.0/518) who literally received no Texas interviews In the first half of their cycle but had interviews at Stanford, Harvard, and UChicago before receiving their first Texas II

LizzyM of 70 lol. No where near a 4.0, and slightly lower MCAT. I am going to an Ivy, so idk how much that contributes to it. TX is very partial to GPAs so maybe that's why it was slower for me.

:laugh:
The only time you'll ever seen West Virginia ahead of Texas and both of them preferable to California.

I'm one of those rare people that doesn't care too much for California haha. Although I don't think I'd care too much for West Virginia either. :p

I'm one of those rare people that doesn't care too much for California haha. Although I don't think I'd care too much for West Virginia either. :p
After meeting some applicants from California on the interview trail, I'm not to keen on California either ha!

(Joking of course)