4 year (GEP) will other Irish schools follow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewVintage

Born Wild
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So this year was the first year RCSI introduced the 4 year GEP program.
Do you think that next year the other Irish schools (UCD,UCC,Trinity,NUIG) will follow the lead?

Members don't see this ad.

They're trying. UCC applied this year to introduce a four-year grad entry program (to start next year) but lost their bid. Limerick will instead be getting a new med school with only the grad entry program offered (50 seats, I believe). It's probably safe to say that all the Irish schools will want a grad entry program eventually, especially if it means more funding for more seats (adding to the existing 5-year programs).

Just an FYI...

Other than RCSI, I doubt the Medical Schools will offer the 4 year course to non-EU students.

Just an FYI...

Other than RCSI, I doubt the Medical Schools will offer the 4 year course to non-EU students.

UCC wanted to - maybe that is why their bid for seats was not successful.Their plan was to put all the North American degree carrying students into the 4 year program and keep the 5 year spots for the Irish leaving cert grads. This was part of a group bid that included Trinity. Sadly, not to be this year. Cheers,
M