4 year vs CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrettyWeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never had the typical high school experience, which I so badly craved and am sad that I didnt get. I bounced around 6-7 different high schools. I was also home schooled and took online classes, but finally ended up getting a GED.

Now I really want to get that experience in college that I missed in high school,but my transcript sucks because of my situation. Should I suck it up and go to community college, or should I apply to a 4 year?

The 4 years will be more expensive because i wouldnt qualify for much due to my horrible gpa.but i find the idea of staying for 2 more years with my family and at home to be terrible

Members don't see this ad.

The college experience is overrated.

You will not miss anything.

Save your money by knocking off generals at a CC and take some sci classes like biology and chemistry. You can transfer to a university after a year or two.

College is different things for different people. College was definitely a transformative experience for me and I wouldn't have traded that at all.

As tekkers as said however, you can just go to CC for 2 years, prove that you can handle college, and then transfer to a good college to get your college experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
College is different things for different people. College was definitely a transformative experience for me and I wouldn't have traded that at all.

As tekkers as said however, you can just go to CC for 2 years, prove that you can handle college, and then transfer to a good college to get your college experience.

+1

My time in highschool was not all that great either. College truly opened my eyes to the world. I think if you can squeeze out the money, go to a 4 year university. If you would be too strapped for cash, then go to the community college.

I would recommend the CC, because it sounds like the OP might be behind on certain classes. The CC is a good way to catch up on classes while proving that you can handle college.

I would think that to get into a four-year you would need at least marginal SAT and ACT scores? Correct me if I'm wrong.

True, college is different things to different people --
But CC and living at home are very different for different people in different families.

OP - You know what your home life is/was like. Do you feel that continuing to live there and taking the first 2 years at a CC will set you up for success? (And save you a lot of money?) Or will the circumstances that marred your high school experience continue to mar your college experience? Will living with your family help you? Or hurt you?

The thing is, there are no 'backsies' for college grades. If you read around here long enough (like an hour) you'll find hundreds of posters angsting about how their first few semesters of college may have doomed their med school prospects forever.

So which is least likely to 'ruin your future'? (Hate to put it like that, but I think you may know what I mean.) Living at home and going CC? Or working your way through a 4-year school? Think about Plan B (not med school) in addition to Plan A.

Save your money by knocking off generals at a CC and take some sci classes like biology and chemistry. You can transfer to a university after a year or two.

Couldn't agree more.

I got my associates before I moved on to a four year. The only disadvantage I noticed was that I had to stack heavy load courses towards the end to graduate in time. Most people I know who went straight to a four year who were able to balance their courses a bit better.