4 yr degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaypea65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Adcoms look more favorably on candidates that already have a 4 yr degree compared to someone who just took prereqs?

Members don't see this ad.

You betcha. In fact, at Ohio State you are required to have a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but since Pharmacy School is so competitive nowadays, almost everyone has a BA/BS when applying (at least in CA). So, having a BA/BS is great but that's not going to really help you much with the admission unless you also have a stellar GPA attached to that degree.

WSU's class of 2009 was about 50% 4 yr degree grads, and it increased to where my class is OVER 70% 4 yr degrees. Additionally, 4 have Master's degrees and 2 have PhDs.

I was fortunate enough to be accepted while only having a 2 year Associate's degree. I highly recommend applicants to pursue the 4 yr degree route and to make sure your pre-reqs support that goal. For example, the Calculus I took would not have crossed over easily to a 4 yr degree in some of the Biology & Chemistry degrees.

This is definitely the path that the competition is headed, so be wise in your class choices. You'll be glad you did!

Is that a new thing? Last year when I applied there were people at my interview without degrees.

Yeah, I think it begins this year. So if you were to apply this year you'd have to have a bachelor's degree.

Taken from the site:

"Applicants are now required to have completed a Bachelors Degree prior to matriculation into the PharmD program. Applicants are not required to have prior pharmacy education; any undergraduate major is acceptable as long as prerequisites are met."