4 yr University or Communiy College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bstodo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum and I was hoping that some of you could kindly help answer a few questions i have. My question is - does it matter to DO adcoms if i retake my courses at a community college as opposed to a 4 year college? What are the pros and cons? I have a BS in Biology, with a not to stellar gpa - so i am trying to bring it up. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i retook classes at community college and i just explained in the file review that i had to save money by taking them at a community college.

No one cares...all med schools care about is raising or maintaining their avg mcat and gpa. So go to the place you ll do best.

Members don't see this ad :)
CC will help raise the g.p.a. but if you are doing it in prep for the MCAT, it isn't a good review.

4 year universities will better prepare you for the MCAT.

I contacted some schools about retaking courses at a Community College and they said that they "strongly prefer" a four year university. I think its BS personally but you might want to call the schools you are interested in a find out their policy on CC classes. Dont take chances! I know DCOM says it's ok to take the class at a CC, VCOM said they strongly prefer a university. I dont know about the others.