40 and older

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cynthiam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone - newbie here. :hello:

I should hear soon if I've been accepted and if so I'll start in September. I skimmed through the long ~NonTraditionals~: Ages to see how many are 50 or older and found a very few. So, I thought I'd start a thread to see if perhaps there are more of us including those thinking of med school, in pre-med or already in school or beyond.

I'm 51 and can't wait to get started!. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats and welcome! You won't find too many gently used pre-meds around here of your particular vintage, but they exist and have been successful at every level. Feel free to contribute where you find opportunities.

I should hear soon if I've been accepted and if so I'll start in September. I skimmed through the long ~NonTraditionals~: Ages to see how many are 50 or older and found a very few. So, I thought I'd start a thread to see if perhaps there are more of us including those thinking of med school, in pre-med or already in school or beyond.

Very cool :welcome:

You should definitely stick around for the threads asking if 30 is TOO OLD to start pre-reqs for med school :rolleyes:. We need you!

Congratulations!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the wonderful welcome! I'm reading around. Lots of great discussion! Thanks for the point to that thread. Off to read it now...

50 and over's - come out, come out - wherever you are! :D

I'm reading around. Lots of great discussion!

That's the exception, not the rule ;)

But seriously, there is great information to be had around here and your viewpoint will be a good one. As Torr pointed out, even here in Non-Trad, you get a lot of "I'm 28 and graduated in 2008. Am I too old? lol".

congrats and wish you the best

That's the exception, not the rule ;)

But seriously, there is great information to be had around here and your viewpoint will be a good one. As Torr pointed out, even here in Non-Trad, you get a lot of "I'm 28 and graduated in 2008. Am I too old? lol".

Yeah, I've seen those threads and thought to myself "OMG. What will those kids think of me when I post?" LOL!

I don't know that I'll have much to share until I actually get into med school. But I've got decades of dreams and hopes so maybe I can encourage others to follow theirs. :oops:

Thanks desdes!

First of all, welcome! I'll admit that back in the day when I first came to SDN, I was one of those "28 am I too old?" people. I learned my lesson quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I know we definitely have a few in this forum that are around 50. Hopefully they'll come out and post soon. :)

Good luck!

I just turned 55 and will be applying this year - FINALLY! I'll take the MCAT in August. And one last class (Biochem) in the fall.

Nowadays people are saying, "Retirement? What's that?"

Anyone really counting on SS?

Anyone want to sit around in their 50's, 60's or early 70's and watch TV all day??

Life is very short, period.

It's all about perspective. Although I will say that there are young 70's and there are old 70's. There are young 40's and 50's, and there are are old 40's and 50's. I know some people in their late 20's that are already kind of old--their thinking, looks, social activities, lots of things. It depends on the individual and what is going on with her or him.

If you are up for the task, go for it. But it is a long, hard road in many ways. I think you have to find joy in the process though. I say focus on the journey, not just the destination.

Welcome. I've heard of a few folks in their 50s that started medical school.

I'll be applying to matriculate in my mid 40s.

I know of someone who matriculated in his mid 40s, became a surgeon, invented a surgery robot, sold it for bajillions of dollars. He still works as a surgeon and in medical education just for fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, welcome! I'll admit that back in the day when I first came to SDN, I was one of those "28 am I too old?" people. I learned my lesson quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I know we definitely have a few in this forum that are around 50. Hopefully they'll come out and post soon. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome! Sounds like some of the older folks around here have changed your thinking in their regard. :D

I dont mean to be mean but you will be near retirement by the time you are an attending.....:idea:

By US standards - 61 early retirement age and 67 regular retirement age - you're right. But I'm not deterred. :)

I don't plan to "retire" even if I don't become a doctor. That's just me. I realize there are others looking forward to retirement and I wish them a wonderful one! But I'm a different person with a different outlook and now that I finally have a chance to pursue my dream - at the ripe old age of 51! - I'm going for it. I realize I have potentially less possible years of practice but I plan to make the most out of ever single year.

I just turned 55 and will be applying this year - FINALLY! I'll take the MCAT in August. And one last class (Biochem) in the fall.

Rock on! :highfive: I think we should request a special badge for us to put under our avatar (which I have yet to upload). :)

Nowadays people are saying, "Retirement? What's that?"

Anyone really counting on SS?

Anyone want to sit around in their 50's, 60's or early 70's and watch TV all day??

Life is very short, period.

It's all about perspective. Although I will say that there are young 70's and there are old 70's. There are young 40's and 50's, and there are are old 40's and 50's. I know some people in their late 20's that are already kind of old--their thinking, looks, social activities, lots of things. It depends on the individual and what is going on with her or him.

If you are up for the task, go for it. But it is a long, hard road in many ways. I think you have to find joy in the process though. I say focus on the journey, not just the destination.

Absolutely! And that's exactly what I plan to do. Thanks for the support and words of encouragement. :thumbup:

Welcome. I've heard of a few folks in their 50s that started medical school.

I'll be applying to matriculate in my mid 40s.

I know of someone who matriculated in his mid 40s, became a surgeon, invented a surgery robot, sold it for bajillions of dollars. He still works as a surgeon and in medical education just for fun.

Wow. Is he a member here? I'd love to read his story!

Thanks again, everyone, for the warm welcome!

I am aware of at least two people that were 52 when they started medical school. Having one more interview, and on wait lists, if I start this fall then I will also be 52.

I'll be 50 when I finish residency, if all goes as planned. It was one of the reasons I chose the specialty I did (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)... with a paramedic background I would love to do emergency medicine, but I can't see myself at 60+ happily running after codes and working overnight shifts.

A

not over 50, but just turned 40. Just took MCAT and am planning on applying this summer.

Spent the last 17 years teaching high school science (mostly chemistry, physics, and a little biology). Now want to try the medical profession. I am thinking I should have done this a long time ago.

dsoz

I'll be 50 when I finish residency, if all goes as planned. It was one of the reasons I chose the specialty I did (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)... with a paramedic background I would love to do emergency medicine, but I can't see myself at 60+ happily running after codes and working overnight shifts.

A

Emergency medicine! Working to save lives every single day? Oh my. :love:

not over 50, but just turned 40. Just took MCAT and am planning on applying this summer.

Spent the last 17 years teaching high school science (mostly chemistry, physics, and a little biology). Now want to try the medical profession. I am thinking I should have done this a long time ago.

dsoz

I've kept my doctor dream on the back burner, putting my family first all these years and also wanting to make sure we are financially able to bear the burden. My seven children are all pretty much grown up now (though all still at home). My youngest is 12 but he's one of my strongest supporters. :D

I am 46 and I applying this year so I will 48 when I enter medical school (God willing!). When you retire you do something you enjoy. For me, that is medicine. So I hope i can say i retired into medicine.

Retired into medicine.

That makes a great signature!

You are all giving me hope :) I just turned 39 and I have just started my pre-reqs (while finally completing my very first Bachelors degree)...so I still have a long road. Thank you for starting this thread.

A

Last edited:
I am currently finishing my last 2 1/2 months of medicine internship and have to share this observation. Two of my co-intern class of 51 are in the over age 40 group, all sincere and nice people. They just happen to be the same two interns who happen to have resigned (quit, dropped out) midway through internship. As I contemplate the effects of this (extra call months for me), I'm curious if this is just a happenstance correlation, or perhaps a meaningful example of how an alarming percentage of nontraditional doctor dreams play out in the real world.

Dude, 50 is just getting started in life! You guys rock! :)

I dont mean to be mean but you will be near retirement by the time you are an attending.....:idea:

"Fat chicks need love too! They just have to pay!!"

This former fat chick takes offense to the above statement.

I don't plan to "retire" even if I don't become a doctor. That's just me. I realize there are others looking forward to retirement and I wish them a wonderful one! But I'm a different person with a different outlook and now that I finally have a chance to pursue my dream - at the ripe old age of 51! - I'm going for it. I realize I have potentially less possible years of practice but I plan to make the most out of ever single year.

Rock on! :highfive: I think we should request a special badge for us to put under our avatar (which I have yet to upload). :)

:thumbup: To all of this. I second the special badge idea!

You guys are such rockstars :love:

In 2009, the oldest newly matriculated osteopathic student was 56 years old. BTW, the oldest applicant was 72. OldPreMeds has had several members graduating from both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools 50 years old and beyond going into residency training for family practice, surgery, and other medical specialties.

Surgery? That's crazy. 7 year residency.

You are all giving me hope :) I just turned 39 and I have just started my pre-reqs (while finally completing my very first Bachelors degree)...so I still have a long road. Thank you for starting this thread.

A

And thank you for joining it! Just remember, one foot in front of the other. You'll get there. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great thread! Here are a couple non-trad stories that were posted recently, just to show that not only can non-trads get into medical school, but can also finish, match, survive residency, and thrive. Good luck everybody!

http://www.rochester.edu/pr/Review/V73N4/0504_sims.html

http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/03/28/53926-combat-surgeon-leaves-big-business-for-army-front-lines-of-afghanistan/index.html

Fabulous stories! I have a lot of respect for people who have successful careers and decide to pursue their dream of medicine.

I am currently finishing my last 2 1/2 months of medicine internship and have to share this observation. Two of my co-intern class of 51 are in the over age 40 group, all sincere and nice people. They just happen to be the same two interns who happen to have resigned (quit, dropped out) midway through internship. As I contemplate the effects of this (extra call months for me), I'm curious if this is just a happenstance correlation, or perhaps a meaningful example of how an alarming percentage of nontraditional doctor dreams play out in the real world.

Interesting line of thinking. Would it have made any difference if they had been in their 30s?

I just wanted to say thanks for some infrequent posters for coming out of the woodwork. Looking at some of the post counts in this one makes me smile :) Great thread, cynthiam.

I'm very pleased. I was expecting the thread to drop down the threads index and disappear into the back pages. I am really glad to see the encouragement and support given to us nontrads. Thank you all! :)

Dude, 50 is just getting started in life! You guys rock! :)

:cool:

:thumbup: To all of this. I second the special badge idea!

You guys are such rockstars :love:

:D

In 2009, the oldest newly matriculated osteopathic student was 56 years old. BTW, the oldest applicant was 72. OldPreMeds has had several members graduating from both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools 50 years old and beyond going into residency training for family practice, surgery, and other medical specialties.

Wow! I would love to see some stats of nontrads over the years.

I have a newspaper clipping of a 100 year old Indian man working on his PhD - not medicine but he's definitely an inspiration. This is an online article about him: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/100yearold-indian-freedom-fighter-pursues-phd/133246-3.html

Here's a 61 year old graduate: http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2004/06/21/prsb0621.htm

And thank you for joining it! Just remember, one foot in front of the other. You'll get there. :thumbup:

Fabulous stories! I have a lot of respect for people who have successful careers and decide to pursue their dream of medicine.

Interesting line of thinking. Would it have made any difference if they had been in their 30s?

I'm very pleased. I was expecting the thread to drop down the threads index and disappear into the back pages. I am really glad to see the encouragement and support given to us nontrads. Thank you all! :)

:cool:

:D

Wow! I would love to see some stats of nontrads over the years.

I have a newspaper clipping of a 100 year old Indian man working on his PhD - not medicine but he's definitely an inspiration. This is an online article about him: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/100yearold-indian-freedom-fighter-pursues-phd/133246-3.html

Here's a 61 year old graduate: http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2004/06/21/prsb0621.htm

Epic post, epic post!
I could totally see myself at 100 still going to school. :)

I will be 49 when I matriculate this Fall. Totally agree with many of the sentiments expressed in this thread.
I've no plans to ever retire. You can always reinvent yourself. And yeah a big part of the delay in starting was being there for the early years of the kids and putting this adventure on firm financial footing.

So, with the caveat that you can and likely will change your mind, what specialty are all of you in or planning to be in? I'm leaning to EM. I actually can see myself running to codes and working shifts into my 60's. Then changing to a calmer pace (maybe rural), maybe teaching more, running an organization or startup. I think a lot of us starting into medicine at this age really do embrace the process and enjoy for what it is: a chance to grow, live life to its fullest and maybe leave the world a better place.

I will be 49 when I matriculate this Fall. Totally agree with many of the sentiments expressed in this thread.
I've no plans to ever retire. You can always reinvent yourself. And yeah a big part of the delay in starting was being there for the early years of the kids and putting this adventure on firm financial footing.

I've also been saving so that I don't face the debt so many medical students so. Actually, that is exactly one of the criticisms I've read about older non-trads - that they take on debt that seems difficult to justify paying off by "retirement" age. But there again I don't see myself retiring like most people do. What was that wonderful line? "Retire into medicine" - courtesy of thomasfx10 :thumbup:

So, with the caveat that you can and likely will change your mind, what specialty are all of you in or planning to be in? I'm leaning to EM. I actually can see myself running to codes and working shifts into my 60's. Then changing to a calmer pace (maybe rural), maybe teaching more, running an organization or startup. I think a lot of us starting into medicine at this age really do embrace the process and enjoy for what it is: a chance to grow, live life to its fullest and maybe leave the world a better place.

I'm really not sure. I too think I'd love EM. But I realize that it may be way different than what I imagine. So I'm reserving my planning until I get some real experience and see what resonates with me more than anything else. But I do think I'd like to teach too. :)

You're in good company! I'm 45 and completely switching career gears. Why now? I have more time, energy and resources than ever before. I start my post-bacc premed program this summer, and hope to get into an NP or DNP program within the next year.

Hmmm... maybe I should have titled this thread 40 and older. :D

Congrats on your decision and plans crs249! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you this summer. :thumbup:

I can change the thread title for you if you'd like. Might be a good idea. There aren't tons of premeds (or med students) over age 40, let alone over age 50. :)

Please do! Thanks! :)

Welcome to the thread FuturePittMed. With the title change you'll fit right in AND will be on the youngest end of the line! :D

the other day, i was thinking i am much older than the typical MS-1. i'll be 24 when/if i matriculate.

yes, i did slap myself afterwards.

Please do! Thanks! :)

Welcome to the thread FuturePittMed. With the title change you'll fit right in AND will be on the youngest end of the line! :D

I see the thread title has been officially changed. Thanks for the welcome, cythiam!

From one of the youngest members of the over 40 thread. :laugh:

Any 60 year olds in the forum? That would put me in the middle. :D

But seriously, age really doesn't deter me and I encourage everyone to not think of their age as an obstacle.

I do wonder if nontrads face any issues in med school because of their age, and by that I mean attitude of or treatment by others. Do you find you have to up your game a bit or do more than everyone else simply to prove yourself?

I will be 37 when I enter medical school. You are never too old if you have a passion for medicine.

I do wonder if nontrads face any issues in med school because of their age, and by that I mean attitude of or treatment by others. Do you find you have to up your game a bit or do more than everyone else simply to prove yourself?
No, that wasn't my experience at all. Granted that I went to med school in my 30s, but it wasn't an issue in terms of academic expectations or how I was treated by others in the classroom or on the wards. Once you get neck-deep into school, everyone is pretty much in the same boat as you. Biochemistry and anatomy classes cover the same material for 50-yr-olds as they do for 20-yr-olds. On rotations, older students with kids and mortgages take the same shelf exams as young singles. You will have more in common with your classmates than your social situation might initially lead you to believe.

This is very inspiring. Thank you.

I will be applying in 2012, at 40 yoa.

Thanks for the insight QofQ. Glad to hear it. :)

abbeycat - thanks for joining!

47 and still taking pre-reqs while working full-time.

My wife is 43 and flew through all her post-bac classes with straight A's and is now headed to the fastest accelerated nursing program in the country.

FireCloud9 - that's fabulous! Congrats to your wife on such an accomplishment. Wow!

I am submitting my application within the next two weeks. I'm so nervous!