~47,000 applications submitted for 2013 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...make it 3....

Make it 4. :thumbup:

So happy I got in early on during the cycle. The numbers are certainly intimidating. Most med school applicants are qualified, and to think that only around 40% of applicants get to matriculate in the fall, and that I'll be one of them, is something amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel pretty special and blessed to have 2 acceptances. That's a crapton of applicants.

Definitely. Those of us who have multiple acceptances are really fortunate! Wow, this process is so rough and such a test of perseverance, endurance, and sanity :p lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think you're right. this is something I have thought about. With the ACA happening, the country definitely needs more doctors, especially since they're closing the door to IMGs.

The "door is closing" to IMGs because they're increasing the # of American medical school slots without increasing the # of residencies. Therefore, the actual # of trained doctors will remain stagnant, but theoretically, more of them will be American educated. So more medical schools does not actually solve the physician shortage.

I see this happening:
1. ACA imposed, physician shortage becomes woefully apparent
2. Congress gets their heads out of their behinds and increases GME funding so their can be more residencies with probably stipulations that they be in primary care.
3. surge in new residencies actually leads to surge in IMGs
4. America keeps cranking out new med schools, AMGs go up, IMGs go down and stabilize at some currently unknown #

43% doesn't mean anything. You have to realize that probably 70-80% of the people that apply to medical school are qualified (3.5+ GPA etc), only a smaller percentage of applicants are unqualified. This means that with average stats you're still up against people that are just as smart as you are

yeah, you're right. So I mean 43% seems alright. I mean if you are suggesting that you're still up against people as smart as you are (yes, some "better" some "worse") then just looking kind of overall 43% seems a lot more forgiving than I would have thought. Of course, we all know that it's not a straight lottery so there is more under consideration. Still though 43% seems pretty good.

yeah, you're right. So I mean 43% seems alright. I mean if you are suggesting that you're still up against people as smart as you are (yes, some "better" some "worse") then just looking kind of overall 43% seems a lot more forgiving than I would have thought. Of course, we all know that it's not a straight lottery so there is more under consideration. Still though 43% seems pretty good.

I think a better metric is what percentage of people who enter college calling themselves pre-med actually end up getting an acceptance (anyone who has these numbers, I'd think it would be cool to look at)

43% acceptance seems really high but even by sending in an application, you've already beaten the odds because most people don't even get that far.

I think a better metric is what percentage of people who enter college calling themselves pre-med actually end up getting an acceptance (anyone who has these numbers, I'd think it would be cool to look at)

43% acceptance seems really high but even by sending in an application, you've already beaten the odds because most people don't even get that far.

:thumbup: this would be a really interesting percentage to know. My guess is 10-20%?

:thumbup: this would be a really interesting percentage to know. My guess is 10-20%?

I bet 10% max...

Pretty much everyone in my frosh bio class was a premed.

Then they quickly decide that instead of medicine they really love pharmacy, dentistry, nursing...or communications.

I would think it would have to be lower than 10%. I would think something more like... [matriculants]/[self-identified pre-meds]= <or= 4%.

That's my guess

According to this chart, this year breaks the all time high number of applicants since the 1980s. It is even higher than the previous record from the late 90s.

Medical_Students_Over_Time.png

Interestingly, despite record unemployment, the stock market is at a record all time high today as well.

Edit: Think about the total revenue for AMCAS. That has to at least be $4.7 million worth of primary fees alone. Then you have all those MCAT fees, all those MSARs. These people are raking it in.

Last edited:
My entire life, everything I'd accomplished (which is not much but still), I felt like I earned it. Getting into med school is different--I've certainly worked my butt off and I do feel like I've earned my success, but for the first time I truly know what it means "to be honored." Getting into med school has just made me want to work harder and better.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Definitely looked like a successful cycle for SDNers.

Can't wait to see you guys again in 3 ish years on the residency interview trail!

I wonder how many of use will still be active users in three years.

My entire life, everything I'd accomplished (which is not much but still), I felt like I earned it. Getting into med school is different--I've certainly worked my butt off and I do feel like I've earned my success, but for the first time I truly know what it means "to be honored." Getting into med school has just made me want to work harder and better.

:love: got a little tear in my eye thinking about how it really is such an honor. Congrats!!