~47,000 applications submitted for 2013 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Per AAMC, "...as of Feb 8th 46,938 AMCAS applications have been submitted for the 2013 cycle."

Any of you file hoarders out there have easy access to data from the previous years?

Looks like it's only going

6283513-M.jpg

for the foreseeable future.

For the most part, 300-600 SDN brethren, jolly good showing on your success amongst the faceless hoard of 47k.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321496/data/2012factstable18.pdf

45,266 last year. So a 3.7% increase in applicants... I guess that's not surprising. I wonder how many more matriculants there will be this year (i.e. I wonder if it was more competitive or less competitive this year). I guess time will tell.

Your frequent usage of card suit symbols reminds me of the villain in The Nightmare Before Christmas for some reason.

Last edited:
It is unbelievable but not surprising how competitive medicine has become. The age-old question is how to stand out without standing out:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Per AAMC, "...as of Feb 8th 46,938 AMCAS applications have been submitted for the 2013 cycle."

Any of you file hoarders out there have easy access to data from the previous years?

Looks like it's only going

6283513-M.jpg

for the foreseeable future.

For the most part, 300-600 SDN brethren, jolly good showing on your success amongst the faceless hoard of 47k.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Definitely looked like a successful cycle for SDNers.

Can't wait to see you guys again in 3 ish years on the residency interview trail!

This is worrisome for us people that haven't applied.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Definitely looked like a successful cycle for SDNers.

Can't wait to see you guys again in 3 ish years on the residency interview trail!

Except that no one will no who you are if you post under a different handle. Unless it's something like "notMedPR"

Except that no one will no who you are if you post under a different handle. Unless it's something like "notMedPR"

Those who know me well as MedPR will probably be able to recognize me by the way I post from the new account. :naughty:

Those who know me well as MedPR will probably be able to recognize me by the way I post from the new account. :naughty:

If anyone new shows up and starts putting up 200 posts/day, I think we'll know who it is.... ;)

Why are you making a new account?

Probably more competitive than last year. The new med schools have a smaller class (around 50?) size and and some schools have slightly increased their class sizes. In just 1 year, there were 1,672 more applicants.

45,266 last year. So a 3.7% increase in applicants... I guess that's not surprising. I wonder how many more matriculants there will be this year (i.e. I wonder if it was more competitive or less competitive this year). I guess time will tell.

Your frequent usage of card suit symbols reminds me of the villain in The Nightmare Before Christmas for some reason.

If anyone new shows up and starts putting up 200 posts/day, I think we'll know who it is.... ;)

:naughty:

Why are you making a new account?

Because MedPR deserves to have his jersey retired.

On topic: Blais how did you come up with 300-600 for the number of SDNers this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
dang who's happy they're accepted and done with this application bs? this girl.

What about residency applications? More US graduates plus the number of residency spots don't increase drastically.

dang who's happy they're accepted and done with this application bs? this girl.

What about residency applications? More US graduates plus the number of residency spots don't increase drastically.
womppppp woooommmmpppp

But grey men aren't noticed?

Assuming wheel of time reference

:laugh:

No, no idea as I've never read the series but I'm sure that's where it comes from if it's the first thing you thought of.

Everything I've heard described though correlates with being the gray man and out competing everyone without being "that guy" or gunner.. Hence, be the gray man.

Oogie_Boogie.png

Great movie.

:naughty:

Because MedPR deserves to have his jersey retired.

On topic: Blais how did you come up with 300-600 for the number of SDNers this cycle?

Pure conjecture.

On a good day, maybe I'd be able to recognize 100 usernames from the cycle (prob not that many). I'm going to assume there are at least 100 other frequent users that I just never noticed. Plus another 100 that only frequent the school-specific threads.

Then, just to be generous, perhaps add another 300 for people that post occasionally.

...Brings us to about 600 SDN users [max] that applied this cycle.

The 1-time posters and lurkers... screw'em! :smuggrin:

♠ ♣ ♥ ♦ Does this signify all of your threads? ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦

:p

Pure conjecture.

On a good day, maybe I'd be able to recognize 100 usernames from the cycle (prob not that many). I'm going to assume there are at least 100 other frequent users that I just never noticed. Plus another 100 that only frequent the school-specific threads.

Then, just to be generous, perhaps add another 300 for people that post occasionally.

...Brings us to about 600 SDN users [max] that applied this cycle.

The 1-time posters and lurkers... screw'em! :smuggrin:

Did you initially post 200-400? For some reason that's the range I remember you posting when this thread popped up.

I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't more regular posters. The more I've used SDN the more I've appreciated it. To be honest I wish I'd utilized it earlier in my undergrad career than I did.

♠ ♣ ♥ ♦ Does this signify all of your threads? ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦

:p

That's a good thing about you, Bear. You're consistent; you're always prepared to call a spade a spade. ;)

Did you initially post 200-400? For some reason that's the range I remember you posting when this thread popped up.

I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't more regular posters. The more I've used SDN the more I've appreciated it. To be honest I wish I'd utilized it earlier in my undergrad career than I did.

I did. However, I quickly had poster's remorse so had to return and edit.

:laugh:

No, no idea as I've never read the series but I'm sure that's where it comes from if it's the first thing you thought of.

Everything I've heard described though correlates with being the gray man and out competing everyone without being "that guy" or gunner.. Hence, be the gray man.

^precisely. Stand out without standing out. Easier said then done.

Thats why I am thankful for my one lonely acceptance :)

https://www.aamc.org/download/153708/data/charts1982to2012.pdf

27 apps short of the number of apps during the 1996-1997 cycle .:p Almost an all time high, lol.

That's a very interesting chart. I was quite surprised to hear that the number of apps was higher in 1996 than it is now.

The chart is also shows no clear relationship between economic performance and the number of apps. Perhaps a statistically minded person could correlate the apps to live births 22 years before? :laugh:

I hate to imagine how this number will double when I'm applying.

And how do you stand out without standing out?

Seriously. :(

I don't think we're in such bad shape. If anything we have an advantage considering that there are more medical schools opening up now then there have in the past 50 years combined (lol). Sure, its competitive, the stats keep going up every year (not really sure why) but i think with enough determination and if you keep trying (2-3 application cycles (not ideal i know)) you're bound to get in somewhere

Why do you put this garbage "♠ ♣ ♥ ♦" in all your thread titles?

Last edited:
I don't think we're in such bad shape. If anything we have an advantage considering that there are more medical schools opening up now then there have in the past 50 years combined (lol). Sure, its competitive, the stats keep going up every year (not really sure why) but i think with enough determination and if you keep trying (2-3 application cycles (not ideal i know)) you're bound to get in somewhere

Yeah, I think you're right. this is something I have thought about. With the ACA happening, the country definitely needs more doctors, especially since they're closing the door to IMGs.

You and me both

...make it 3....

ok. Did I look at this correctly?
In 2012, 45,266 AMCAS applications were submitted and 19,517 matriculated (that is using the applicants and matriculants tables for states of residence).
Does that mean that 45,266 unique persons filled out AMCAS applications in 2012 and of those, 19,517 entered medical school?

If that is true...overall the odds don't seem that bad...at least not as bad as my experience seemed lol. I mean that is about 43%.

...make it 3....

ok. Did I look at this correctly?
In 2012, 45,266 AMCAS applications were submitted and 19,517 matriculated (that is using the applicants and matriculants tables for states of residence).
Does that mean that 45,266 unique persons filled out AMCAS applications in 2012 and of those, 19,517 entered medical school?

If that is true...overall the odds don't seem that bad...at least not as bad as my experience seemed lol. I mean that is about 43%.

43% doesn't mean anything. You have to realize that probably 70-80% of the people that apply to medical school are qualified (3.5+ GPA etc), only a smaller percentage of applicants are unqualified. This means that with average stats you're still up against people that are just as smart as you are

Hadn't thought of it that way. My mini panic attack is slowly subsiding. :p Thanks! :thumbup:

You and me both

Me too. I'm so glad I won't have to do the process again in the future - certainly not with the season getting more competitive and the MCAT getting longer and harder.

To future applicants... sucks to be you ! :p :D

Can someone tell me the total number of MD school seats are available?

Anyone count up how many seats there are in total from all 141 for the class of 2017?

thanks, just curious

Can someone tell me the total number of MD school seats are available?

Anyone count up how many seats there are in total from all 141 for the class of 2017?

thanks, just curious

Someone a few posts up said ~19,000 matriculate so there are ~19,000 seats.

43% doesn't mean anything. You have to realize that probably 70-80% of the people that apply to medical school are qualified (3.5+ GPA etc), only a smaller percentage of applicants are unqualified. This means that with average stats you're still up against people that are just as smart as you are

I thought applicant average was something like a 3.5/29 while matriculant is 3.6/31.

I have may have been taking tons of drugs when I "read" that though.

I feel pretty special and blessed to have 2 acceptances. That's a crapton of applicants.