4th year ADT scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. I signed up for my away rotation during the summer between my third and fourth year as my "third year ADT." I noticed there was another request section for fourth year and was wondering what people do with that block.

I'll already be doing my ADT at Walter Reed Aug-mid September. Is it possible to schedule my "fourth" year ADT after that and before the 15 OCT deadline for FYGME selection? If I do, can I use a couple of the weeks of the 45 day block to do school ADT? From what I can tell, as long as I don't pick the same hospital site, I should be ok? Also, am I limited to one ADT a calendar year or is it one ADT per academic year?

thanks in advance. i'm going to oblc this summer so I'm a little lost re. away rotations/matching.

Members don't see this ad.

The military's fiscal year ends on Sept 30th. So you're third year ADT is usually during the summer and the "fourth year" ADT is scheduled b/t Oct 1st and the selection meeting.

The way our school schedule works out, my FY 2011 ADT starts at the very end of Sept and runs through Oct. Is that a problem? I assume not, as I've run into similar reimbursement scenarios.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little confused. I signed up for my away rotation during the summer between my third and fourth year as my "third year ADT." I noticed there was another request section for fourth year and was wondering what people do with that block.

I'll already be doing my ADT at Walter Reed Aug-mid September. Is it possible to schedule my "fourth" year ADT after that and before the 15 OCT deadline for FYGME selection? If I do, can I use a couple of the weeks of the 45 day block to do school ADT? From what I can tell, as long as I don't pick the same hospital site, I should be ok? Also, am I limited to one ADT a calendar year or is it one ADT per academic year?

thanks in advance. i'm going to oblc this summer so I'm a little lost re. away rotations/matching.

Are you planning to spend the entire 45 days of your ADT at WR? One suggestion might be to schedule back to back ADTs and spend August at WR and Sept somewhere else. From an AF perspective, this is no probably but I'm not sure about the other branches. Conversely, you can just go somewhere in October. That may not give you a full month to learn about the program (for your ranking purposes) but you'll probably see enough in two weeks and the program's faculty will get to know you for their ranking purposes. So if you think you know how your rank order list is going to end up, don't stress about when exactly you do the ADT.

Wait, you are going to OBLC this summer, and still have an ADT to burn? You're an MS3, right; how is that possible?

Are you doing anything between OBLC and your WRAMC rotation in August? If not, that could be a time to squeeze an ADT rotation in there. Or, just schedule it for mid September through mid October, and have the remaining two weeks as school orders. The Army does not care about the fiscal year changing in October when scheduling your ADTs. You can have both your third and fourth year ADTs in your fourth academic year or the fiscal year that includes your third year of medical school, it does not matter. The 15 October deadline is a deadline for YOU, not the programs. You are the one that has to have your packet completed before then (though, if you ask nicely, you may be able to have some wiggle room through November). The programs do not have to have their rank lists before the PD meeting in November.

that's actually really helpful, thanks. i'm a 3rd year but haven't done OBC yet just b/c of the way my school curriculum is set up. am going to OBC early summer, plan to take step 2 CS the week i have off, and then head out to WRAMC.

Thanks for letting me know that I can schedule the 3rd and 4th year ADT's in that way.

I think I read somewhere you're there now? If so, do you know who the POC is for uniforms to bring/housing/etc? I've been trying to get information/scheduling through Carmen Waggoner and it feels like I'm pulling teeth.