4th year away rotations: UNSOM Las Vegas versus UCSF Fresno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatwombat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to do an away rotation at either of these two institutions. I have heard good things about the Fresno program, while the UNSOM EM program seems quite new. However, the ED in Vegas seems to be extremely busy, and I must say spending a month in LV seems like more fun.

Does anyone know anything about EM rotations at either of these places? I'm having a hard time deciding and the deadline to apply is imminent.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at LV (did not match there or rotate there). They seem to place a lot of emphasis on rotating there if you want to match there or at least shadowing before/after the interview. I think 3-4 of their current interns rotated there (sorry, don't remember the exact number from interview day). So, if your goal is LV for a match, I'd say consider it. I don't know the schedule for students but the residents do 12 hour shifts. My EM rotations were not 12 hour shifts, but I did 12 hour shifts for L & D on my ob/gyn rotation. I was always either in the hospital, sleeping, eating or studying. My days off were just spent catching up on life so watch out for shift length. good luck.

I did an away at Fresno, thought it was great! Don't regret it one bit except, but make sure you get your living arrangement figured out and you'll want a car there. Overall, great people, lots of sick patients you are exposed too, attendings were great.