4th year courses to take on a time budget

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schnoffle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year med student getting ready to plan out my 4th year rotations, and I was hoping to get some advice from every one. This isn't simply a "Which rotations do I take for Emergency Med" type of question, however. This is a "I don't have the time to take all the ones I may potentially need" type of question. I'll explain....

The medical school I attend has a policy where we must do two 4 week rural rotations during our 4th year. These rotations consist of either Family Med, Peds, or OB. Seeing that we normally start at the end of June, and our graduation is early June, that leaves me about 11 months to work with, minus the 2 months of my rural rotation.

The other catch is that my Step 1 scores were pretty much less than par (by a bit), so I am kind of worried about my competitiveness. My standardized exam scores are pretty much bottom quartile, but my actual interpersonal reviews, peer evals, and everything else that show my "real people" skills are top marks. Yet, being in a test-heavy world, I am worried I will not get the interviews I need, so I am hoping to leave some of my rotation space open for other interests (such as Peds).

This being said, I have 7 months filled with my rural rotations, Anesthesia ICC, MICU, a Sub-I (most likely Peds against popular demand), 4 weeks of required surgery, and hopefully 2 months of an EM rotation. So my problem is that most of my time is filled with either required rotations or my EM rotations, but I have yet to leave time for interviews or anything else. So attempting to fill my other slots and leaving time for this, I was curious as to what were the more important rotations to get?

I plan on mixing a month of Cardiology and Radiology, and possibly Ped-Cardio in another month, but I feel like I am not leaving myself many other choices. Are these good options for EM, or are other surgical subspecialities a better route to go (opthal, ENT, ortho, etc)?

Thanks to those who can help! I'd try to work with an advisor down here, but the EM residency at the location I do rotations at is sadly DO only, and being an MD I know their rotation schedule is much different from ours.

Members don't see this ad.

do an EM month or two

then do rotations in your weaker areas/whatever you feel weak in/go away somewhere fun

don't over-think this, 4th year is supposed to be fun

ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if I should focus on anything else in particular. Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your Step 1 is weak, you need to kick butt on Step 2. Does your school structure any kind of board prep time into your fourth year? If not, I'd take a light month early enough in the year to have scores back when applying. What's light enough to allow study time is going to depend on your school/rotation site, but current fourth years should have that info.

Or if allowed a study month, take it. Especially if you want to do better this time around.

Ya, usually you have time to take off for the Step 2 prep. If anything I may just leave the first 2 weeks open in July so I have most of June and July to study and take it. Just wish I was a better standardized test taker, lol.

Ya, usually you have time to take off for the Step 2 prep. If anything I may just leave the first 2 weeks open in July so I have most of June and July to study and take it. Just wish I was a better standardized test taker, lol.

Me too. Hence the reason I even brought up taking a month off.

We have to do an Anesthesiology rotation as one of our requirements, so I should hit that fine (Along with an ICU, of course).