4th year DO student answering questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you. That was very helpful. My line of thinking was best before I got all caught up in numbers. Believe it or not, I think DO is where I belong. Thanks :nod:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
you said you were avg to below average at your school...was this because you don't study as much, others are 'smarter', harder time adjusting?...
How long does it take most students to adjust to medschool?

you said you were avg to below average at your school...was this because you don't study as much, others are 'smarter', harder time adjusting?...
How long does it take most students to adjust to medschool?

It's different for everyone. I had a rough first semester and it ended up showing in my class rank despite getting average or above average in every class after first semester. Some people never adjust and end up struggling the whole time. Honestly there really isn't a way to predict it. I don't think it's because anyone is "smarter" but I do think it's because some people learn how to study smarter. I definitely studied just as much or more than some of my classmates but I battle ADD which just made me less efficient despite being on medication. You figure out pretty quickly how much actual time you you have to put in. I also wasn't willing to sacrifice my happiness (in life) to study nonstop 24/7. Med school is still 4 years of your life and you have to decide what's important to you. To me, being sane was important so I put in enough time to do well, I just didn't go overboard (I think I probably would have had diminishing returns if I put any more physical time in, you have to take time off sometimes). There is no way everyone in med school can be "above average". It's just how it is. Most people are around average...which is why it's called average.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went straight to the source. Most schools post this info on their webpage; however, some, sadly, do not. I believe LECOM doesn't but dont quote me.

LECOM average GPA is 3.4 sgpa is 3.3 MCAT is 27. Those are the numbers they gave on interview day

Reactions: 1 user
When do you set up 4th year rotations? I know as a 3rd year the school gave us a core site where we did all the core rotations but we are on our own for 4th year. I know we use VSAS and contact hospitals directly but when does this start? For example if I'm trying to set up August-December 2015, do I start now, March or May?

It depends if you are trying to do them at AOA or ACGME programs. The DO programs tend to start earlier than the MD ones. There was one that was almost full by the middle of February. Most of the MD ones (especially the ones through vsas) will start accepting applications in March-April. If you are going DO though I would start trying to contact programs and at least see when they will start setting things up.

I would feel comfortable with a 27. But with 24-25, I would still feel confident of getting an acceptance somewhere provided you applied early/broadly.

One will most likely get in somewhere. However, one will also be put on hold for a lot of places and will be facing harder competition once one is given an interview. With a GPA of 3.4 or below, one should have a least a 26-27 to have their app looked at sooner.

Last edited:
One will most likely get in somewhere. However, one will also be put on hold for a lot of places and will be facing harder competition once one is given an interview. With a GPA of 3.4 or below, one should have a least a 26-27 to have their app looked at sooner.
Island Style,
Who do you know (on SDN or in real life) that has applied broadly (15+) to DO schools but received NO interviews? What were their scores/app like? IMO, these are the stats one needs to have to truly feel out of the running.

The bottom line is if you are at 3.3/3.3/24 or better and have no red flags, the cycle is yours to lose.

Island Style,
Who do you know (on SDN or in real life) that has applied broadly (15+) to DO schools but received NO interviews? What were their scores/app like? IMO, these are the stats one needs to have to truly feel out of the running.

The bottom line is if you are at 3.3/3.3/24 or better and have no red flags, the cycle is yours to lose.

I've know people in real life with 30+ MCAT, and a 3.8 GPA w/ no red flags get rejected from everywhere MD and DO a like. Saying a 3.3 with a 24 is a good stat to have is pretty unrealistic. Sure you read on SDN how people have been admitted with low stats but the odds aren't in your favor.

I've know people in real life with 30+ MCAT, and a 3.8 GPA w/ no red flags get rejected from everywhere MD and DO a like. Saying a 3.3 with a 24 is a good stat to have is pretty unrealistic. Sure you read on SDN how people have been admitted with low stats but the odds aren't in your favor.
That doesn't answer my question!

I asked if he knew of anyone that has applied broadly to 15+ DO schools and received no interviews, and what their application was like.

Island Style,

Was there anything in my former statement where I mentioned you won't get interviews? I never even denied your statement. I am actually proof that your statement is true (in terms of interviews).

My point is that you chances of getting an interview and acceptance go up large amount with a 26-27 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA. Show me one person (on this forum) who has a 3.3/24 MCAT that has netted just as many interviews and at the same speed as some one with around 3.4/26 MCAT. Sometimes interviews can be so far away that one can't afford it and that is one less acceptance. Just by having those 1-2 points can make a large difference in the outcome. I want him to optimize his chances and not go for the bare minimum.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing what you know now, would you have done anything differently prior to applying to med school. The obvious is PA school, but others could be PhD programs, MPH, etc..

Was there anything in my former statement where I mentioned you won't get interviews? I never even denied your statement. I am actually proof that your statement is true (in terms of interviews).

My point is that you chances of getting an interview and acceptance go up large amount with a 26-27 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA. Show me one person (on this forum) who has a 3.3/24 MCAT that has netted just as many interviews and at the same speed as some one with around 3.4/26 MCAT. Sometimes interviews can be so far away that one can't afford it and that is one less acceptance. Just by having those 1-2 points can make a large difference in the outcome. I want him to optimize his chances and not go for the bare minimum.

I agree. Setting a goal that is above the minimum ensures you're not breezing it through your MCAT studies and when you get 8's across the board say it's good enough.

FTR: I had 5 II's within the first three months with a 26. My friend had a 23 and received his one interview in December and has another at PNWU in march. He has a 4.0. Luckily he was accepted but like you said, a few points up can change the whole scheme of the cycle for an applicant.

I agree that a slightly higher score should indeed be aimed for, and does make a world of difference.

But I guess my point was that looking at the maximum stats of those that received no interviews, could offer a decent estimate as to where "reasonable chance" for acceptance begins-- this would be a useful figure to have when advising applicants.

The problem is that even after several years in these forums I still struggle to figure out where this threshold lies. I am confident that for MD, this threshold is around 3.6/30. For DO, my best guess is around 3.2/24 .

Last edited:
Island Style,

Whoa, broad is only 15+ schools? I got carried away. I think I sent 30 lol. A lot of wasted money cus I didn't want to risk anything, but I did get one acceptance so far.

Have you started interviewing for residencies yet? And if so did name of school play a large factor in where you were offered interviews? Or was it more based on boards?

I agree that a slightly higher score should indeed be aimed for, and does make a world of difference.

But I guess my point was that looking at the maximum stats of those that received no interviews, could offer a decent estimate as to where "reasonable chance" for acceptance begins-- this would be a useful figure to have when advising applicants.

The problem is that even after several years in these forums I still struggle to figure out where this threshold lies. I am confident that for MD, this threshold is around 3.6/30. For DO, my best guess is around 3.2/24 .

Concur.

If a 3.2/24 is best the person can do after 2-3 years worth of struggle, then this the best starting point (couldn't agree more). If the applicant can afford to take another year or another MCAT, then it is highly suggest he or she does so. Not only will it increase his or her chances of getting into a school, but also his or her chances of getting into a school they like.

Knowing what you know now, would you have done anything differently prior to applying to med school. The obvious is PA school, but others could be PhD programs, MPH, etc..

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. I definitely wouldn't have done any of that PRIOR to med school, however if you are asking if I would do it instead of med school I'd say probably not. The exception is PA/NP. I think if I wasn't so prideful I would have definitely thought about this route (especially NP) if I was interested in primary care. I originally wanted to do pediatrics, and the more loans I stared at, the more I found myself thinking I should have just become an NP because I would have been able to do the same stuff, but wouldn't have the astronomical loans that were looming over me. After third year though, I decided I wanted to be an OB...a specialty I wouldn't have really been able to do as a mid level. So I wouldn't have really done anything different before applying to med school. Maybe retake the MCAT so I could have gotten into a better school....but I took it twice and got the same score so I didn't think I could really improve much with a second retake.

Have you started interviewing for residencies yet? And if so did name of school play a large factor in where you were offered interviews? Or was it more based on boards?

I just finished interviewing. I did fairly well in both the DO and MD side regarding number of interviews (slightly lacking on the MD side). I doubt my school name mattered that much...I think the limiting factor in my app was that I didn't take USMLE. I did have one PD say "I had never heard of your school so I googled it just to make sure it was real" haha but I don't think the actual name hindered
Me although I'm not in on that decision making discussion. I think the location of the school probably impacted me a little as it seemed like people with the same (or lower) stats were getting interviews in the northeast (where I want to be) when I wasnt. I almost wish I had put something somewhere in my app demonstrating my ties I the northeast although I'm not sure where I could have done that. But I could see them having the "why is this girl from the south trying to come up here?? She must just be applying everywhere and doesn't really want to come" conversation. I still did relatively alright, but I think if I had been from a northeast school I would have done better. Just speculation though.

Yes that's what I was asking. I know a lot of people wrestle with the idea (especially now) of becoming a mid level PA or NP (if you're a nurse) because of the lifestyle it offers. But from my experience shadowing, PA's lifestyle isn't really that much better than the docs at the hospitals I've been to.

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. I definitely wouldn't have done any of that PRIOR to med school, however if you are asking if I would do it instead of med school I'd say probably not. The exception is PA/NP. I think if I wasn't so prideful I would have definitely thought about this route (especially NP) if I was interested in primary care. I originally wanted to do pediatrics, and the more loans I stared at, the more I found myself thinking I should have just become an NP because I would have been able to do the same stuff, but wouldn't have the astronomical loans that were looming over me. After third year though, I decided I wanted to be an OB...a specialty I wouldn't have really been able to do as a mid level. So I wouldn't have really done anything different before applying to med school. Maybe retake the MCAT so I could have gotten into a better school....but I took it twice and got the same score so I didn't think I could really improve much with a second retake.

I just finished interviewing. I did fairly well in both the DO and MD side regarding number of interviews (slightly lacking on the MD side). I doubt my school name mattered that much...I think the limiting factor in my app was that I didn't take USMLE. I did have one PD say "I had never heard of your school so I googled it just to make sure it was real" haha but I don't think the actual name hindered
Me although I'm not in on that decision making discussion. I think the location of the school probably impacted me a little as it seemed like people with the same (or lower) stats were getting interviews in the northeast (where I want to be) when I wasnt. I almost wish I had put something somewhere in my app demonstrating my ties I the northeast although I'm not sure where I could have done that. But I could see them having the "why is this girl from the south trying to come up here?? She must just be applying everywhere and doesn't really want to come" conversation. I still did relatively alright, but I think if I had been from a northeast school I would have done better. Just speculation though.

You really know such people? That sounds pretty unlikely to happen.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I was an anomaly for not getting a single MD interview with a 3.7/32

You really know such people? That sounds pretty unlikely to happen.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I was an anomaly for not getting a single MD interview with a 3.7/32

I didn't say they didn't get interviews, just that they didn't get accepted anywhere and had to reapply a following cycle. Medical school admissions are tough, and lots of times it's a roll of the dice.

I didn't say they didn't get interviews, just that they didn't get accepted anywhere and had to reapply a following cycle. Medical school admissions are tough, and lots of times it's a roll of the dice.
was the person(s) like socially awk or something? what do you think were these peoples downfalls? or was i just straight unlucky?

was the person(s) like socially awk or something? what do you think were these peoples downfalls? or was i just straight unlucky?

I'm not too sure what they're downfall was. I wouldn't say they're socially awkward by any means. I do know that they are now at a very good MD school. Sometimes it does come down to luck

Hey guys, I remember getting to about this time in the year in the application process to med school and having a ton of questions. I now finally have some down time and I would be willing to answer any questions you might have (within reason of course). I saw a few of these threads in other forums and figured as a DO student I might be able to help with the osteopathic specific stuff. SDN pretty much got me through the app process and much of med school so I figure I should give back.

Thanks so much for answering all these questions. You've been very helpful. Here is a big question for you, and if you prefer not to answer or would like to PM that is understandable... you mentioned you have ADD and are being treated for this... are you going to have to report this when you apply for your license? From some reading on SDN I get the impression it depends on what state you live in. I am concerned for personal reasons and am wondering what your experience has been/will be with this matter.

Thanks so much for answering all these questions. You've been very helpful. Here is a big question for you, and if you prefer not to answer or would like to PM that is understandable... you mentioned you have ADD and are being treated for this... are you going to have to report this when you apply for your license? From some reading on SDN I get the impression it depends on what state you live in. I am concerned for personal reasons and am wondering what your experience has been/will be with this matter.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience at all with it. I guess I will have to figure it out in May when I graduate or maybe not until I am out...honestly haven't researched it that much (may be a sign of the ADD haha). I haven't needed to take near the amount of medication in years 3 and 4 as I did in the first 2 years and I may end up not taking it at all by that time, but I don't know. Even if they do ask about it, I don't see it mattering if you have a valid prescription. Admitting to it shouldn't make much of a difference unless they think you are a danger to yourself or others. Sorry I couldn't really help, I just haven't had to go through it yet, so I'm not sure.

Do you find there's a lot of academic support at your school? Like is there a tutoring or learning center? Do kids usually get together and study before tests?

Do you find there's a lot of academic support at your school? Like is there a tutoring or learning center? Do kids usually get together and study before tests?

There is an ok amount of support. We have advisors but they will usually only meet with you if there is a problem. After the first anatomy test I was given a tutor. There are tutors available if you are struggling but the school is the one that determines what struggling actually means (it usually means failing not making C's, etc). We also had a learning specialist come to talk to us multiple times first semester and if you were having trouble you could meet with him one on one to help with study strategies and stuff. There wasn't a ton but I think it was enough...although I was never really in danger of failing out or something.

We definitely were very big on studying in groups. There are a lot of group study rooms on campus and they are a hot commodity because so many people study together. A lot of times that means studying stuff on your own for however long and then taking a break and doing a little quizzing to break it up. It depends how you study best but that worked out really well for me.

There is an ok amount of support. We have advisors but they will usually only meet with you if there is a problem. After the first anatomy test I was given a tutor. There are tutors available if you are struggling but the school is the one that determines what struggling actually means (it usually means failing not making C's, etc). We also had a learning specialist come to talk to us multiple times first semester and if you were having trouble you could meet with him one on one to help with study strategies and stuff. There wasn't a ton but I think it was enough...although I was never really in danger of failing out or something.

We definitely were very big on studying in groups. There are a lot of group study rooms on campus and they are a hot commodity because so many people study together. A lot of times that means studying stuff on your own for however long and then taking a break and doing a little quizzing to break it up. It depends how you study best but that worked out really well for me.

just cuz studying alone sucked or were there lots of hard concepts to grasp in medschool? I know you mentioned quizzing in the next sentence though so i guess im just looking for clarifcation :p

just cuz studying alone sucked or were there lots of hard concepts to grasp in medschool? I know you mentioned quizzing in the next sentence though so i guess im just looking for clarifcation :p

A little bit of both. Sometimes I didn't know I didn't understand something until I talked it out with my friends and then I was like "oh wow that is definitely not how I understood that". I ended up getting that same feeling when I starting rotations and learning stuff I previously thought I knew was totally wrong. It got me through boards though...

The other part of it was definitely the fact that if you sit in a room by yourself with a book for 12 hours you will go crazy. Taking a half hour and talking stuff out breaks up the monotony and makes you feel like you have friends. Haha. I also found that just studying independently but in the same room with people made me much happier than being completely alone. Maybe I'm weird.

Wow, that's awesome. I definitely need academic support. I find that I do better when I study with people and when I get help from tutors. I usually go to tutors before I start doing badly to ensure I get the best possible grade!

I'm interested in hearing about you working in a free clinic? Would you be able to elaborate on that? I am looking to get involved. And if you don't mind sharing, what were your stats when applying to medical school?

Wow, that's awesome. I definitely need academic support. I find that I do better when I study with people and when I get help from tutors. I usually go to tutors before I start doing badly to ensure I get the best possible grade!

I'm interested in hearing about you working in a free clinic? Would you be able to elaborate on that? I am looking to get involved. And if you don't mind sharing, what were your stats when applying to medical school?

Unfortunately we weren't allowed to have a tutor unless we were failing a class so proactively trying to get one might be hard...but there were plenty of people in my class that had backgrounds in different subjects that volunteered to help people on their own time.

I was a Spanish major so I originally got involved in the free clinic to help interpret since there was a huge Hispanic population in the area. Ended up doing a lot of secretarial work as well. It was definitely an interesting and humbling experience.

I think when I applied I had a 3.6c, 3.2s and a 26 MCAT.

...If I wanted to, I could have floated through all my core rotations working very little, reading very little, and learning very little. I could have taken time off whenever I wanted to. I didn't want my education to be like that so I worked hard to find electives and selectives at quality programs, but not all people do this. You should know that, and be honest with yourself. Are you just going to skate by and not be proactive about your education? If so, DO might not be the right route for you. On a similar note, having to set up ALL my own rotations and literally not having ANY contact with my school for help with anything 3rd and 4th year was really rough and not for the faint of heart...

...After spending fourth year rotating at large academic medical centers, the question people have is what was the quality of your clinical education. Having exclusively preceptor based, outpatient rotations, is not going to cut it. ...You only know what you see. An internal medicine rotation in some random office is not going to teach you much and make you competitive. Herein lies the achilles heel of DO education, the clinical part.

My advice would be to go to a school that has very strong and established clinical rotations in an inpatient setting, with residents.[/USER]

I'm starting to actually see this more and more. I'm hearing horror stories of students that basically went out of their way to set up almost exclusively outpatient rotations, getting through all cores at places with no residencies, didactics, etc. I also see it all the time with upperclassmen constantly looking for the easiest rotations. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there may be a time where you need an easy rotation, but some people strive to make all of their rotations that way.

This is the huge flaw for many DO schools, and honestly it bothers me that people choose the easy way out knowing their education/experience is subpar. Don't be that way. Almost every school has regional sites and affiliates that are actually academic centers, hospitals, or at least have an academic curriculum for their rotations. If you want to, you can at least do some of your rotations at those sites, and for electives, you should really strive to set them up the way MiaMia and others on here did.

...I think I have the personality and interest for DO, but I'm just hesitant to go to a school with an average incoming GPA of 2.8. Not that I think I'm so high and mighty, but that's a significant difference that draws different types of people.
I don't wanna get to LECOM or wherever and have it be immediately apparent that I don't belong there. Does that make sense?

2.7 is the minimum GPA that would cause LECOM to automatically send out a secondary application. The average is more like 3.4-3.5 for GPA. Honestly, I see plenty of people in my class that had high GPAs (3.7-3.9) or high MCATs (mid- high 30s), but not both. There are also a batch of people around the 3.5/30 area. You won't be an anomaly at a DO school with a 3.9/30, but if I were you I would apply broadly MD and DO and then decide after you get those acceptances.[/user]

Another perk of doing elective rotations at major academic medical centers is that you get to be an ambassador on behalf of the next generation of DO's. Sure, many of the residents and younger attending have probably worked with DO's before, but for the older ones, or those with really inbred pedigrees at a historically anti-DO institution, you may be their first contact with the new generation of DO's.

Pre-round early, stay late, take the extra admissions, talk to the fellows if you're on a subspecialty rotation about writing up a case report together or jumping on a poster that they're working on, attend grand rounds, introduce yourself to the dept chair and PD. Be the change you want to see!

Of course if you suck, you're going to only embolden any prejudices that may exist about DO's. Rise up!

Reactions: 3 users
@MiaMia14 thank you for creating this thread and answering all these questions! DO schools just recently (within the past year) came on my radar as a premed and I've been very interested to hear some blunt answers to how DO students fair in regards to landing desirable residencies. I've heard mixed opinions from several DO surgery residents and several MD attendings, so I'm glad to hear your opinion as well.

I'm applying this coming cycle to a variety of schools and am wondering how exactly you go about finding which DO schools have good 3rd/4th year rotations. I know you posted earlier about looking at school websites, but what determines a "good" rotation?

I should have relatively competitive stats (3.7+ gpa; 29-30 Mcat with a recent, likely higher retake; strong LORs, plenty of clinical experience, and research with publications/conferences), but I'm struggling making a list of schools. Also, it's been difficult for me to find a willing DO to shadow. I've been cold calling local offices without luck. Any advice?

@MiaMia14 thank you for creating this thread and answering all these questions! DO schools just recently (within the past year) came on my radar as a premed and I've been very interested to hear some blunt answers to how DO students fair in regards to landing desirable residencies. I've heard mixed opinions from several DO surgery residents and several MD attendings, so I'm glad to hear your opinion as well.

I'm applying this coming cycle to a variety of schools and am wondering how exactly you go about finding which DO schools have good 3rd/4th year rotations. I know you posted earlier about looking at school websites, but what determines a "good" rotation?

I should have relatively competitive stats (3.7+ gpa; 29-30 Mcat with a recent, likely higher retake; strong LORs, plenty of clinical experience, and research with publications/conferences), but I'm struggling making a list of schools. Also, it's been difficult for me to find a willing DO to shadow. I've been cold calling local offices without luck. Any advice?

In general, the older schools are going to have more established/quality rotations, but I have heard of issues with people at those schools at well, so it isn't going to be universally better. If the school posts their hospitals on their website look them up and see if they are residency programs. Otherwise, SDN and talking to current students is going to be your best bet. However, know that when you talk to current students their initial reaction to any question (unless they are really disgruntled) is going to be to tell you the more positive things about their school. I think it makes people feel inferior to say their school wasn't up to par. They will complain about it ad nauseum to their classmates and then when a prospective student asks it's all puppy dogs and rainbows. Try and find the people that will give you the real scoop. There are people at every school that will be honest, and you should be able to see through the bs of the other students.

excuse my ignorance...but (outside of a quality edu), whats the importance of landing a "quality" rotation and what makes it "good"??

2.7 is the minimum GPA that would cause LECOM to automatically send out a secondary application. The average is more like 3.4-3.5 for GPA. Honestly, I see plenty of people in my class that had high GPAs (3.7-3.9) or high MCATs (mid- high 30s), but not both. There are also a batch of people around the 3.5/30 area. You won't be an anomaly at a DO school with a 3.9/30, but if I were you I would apply broadly MD and DO and then decide after you get those acceptances.[/user]

Thank you for that information. For the 2.7 GPA, and the 3.4-3.5 GPA you mentioned, is that the GPA after the grade replacement? Or is that before the grade replacement? DO's have grade replacement, as I understand. Thank you.

Thank you for that information. For the 2.7 GPA, and the 3.4-3.5 GPA you mentioned, is that the GPA after the grade replacement? Or is that before the grade replacement? DO's have grade replacement, as I understand. Thank you.

GPA after grade replacement. LECOM or any other schools for that matter do not calculate your GPA but rather AACOMAS, which you will apply through.

excuse my ignorance...but (outside of a quality edu), whats the importance of landing a "quality" rotation and what makes it "good"??

If you look back in this thread it is discussed a little but it is also discussed all over sdn. I'm not sure what more you are looking for besides the answer that it is a better quality of education. If you don't have good rotations you won't be able to do well on sub-I's and you won't impress residency programs. You will also suck as a resident. But all of that goes back to getting a good quality education.

It is good if you get ample opportunity to perform H&Ps and think/talk about a differential and plan with someone who actually knows things. That is what you are going to school to learn how to do and if you are essentially shadowing you don't get good practice going through the mental steps. It is also important to at least do some rotations where there is a residency program because you also need to learn how to be a good resident (aka rounding, presenting patients, preparing presentations).

Shamelessly bumping my own thread to let everyone know I found out today I matched!! Will find out where on Friday but it basically just shows that even as a DO you can do what you want as long as you work for it.

Reactions: 16 users
Shamelessly bumping my own thread to let everyone know I found out today I matched!! Will find out where on Friday but it basically just shows that even as a DO you can do what you want as long as you work for it.

Congrats!

Grats man, it's always refreshing to see hard work pay off for other people.

Yay! Congratulations! :)

What residency programs in what field did you apply to? I saw that there were some DO students who had to enter the SOAP... is it mainly because they didn't apply enough places?

I applied to Ob/Gyn. I researched the places to make sure they were DO friendly and did a lot of sub-i's and I think that was really what helped me match. I didn't interview at any big name academic places (but I knew I wouldn't be competitive at those places so I didn't apply...I didn't even take the USMLE) but I got some interviews at programs that were very good quality. There are always going to be people that have to scramble...even for MD schools. Whether those people were over confident in themselves or just had bad luck, it happens every year. Hearing about DO students in the soap shouldn't worry you. For what it's worth, from the facebook turnout, it actually looks like my class fared better in the ACGME match than the AOA one.

I applied to Ob/Gyn. I researched the places to make sure they were DO friendly and did a lot of sub-i's and I think that was really what helped me match. I didn't interview at any big name academic places (but I knew I wouldn't be competitive at those places so I didn't apply...I didn't even take the USMLE) but I got some interviews at programs that were very good quality. There are always going to be people that have to scramble...even for MD schools. Whether those people were over confident in themselves or just had bad luck, it happens every year. Hearing about DO students in the soap shouldn't worry you. For what it's worth, from the facebook turnout, it actually looks like my class fared better in the ACGME match than the AOA one.
how do you verify that??
What is a sub-i?