4th year elective and books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternationlDoc

Imported like a Ferrari
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I was trying to set up away for an IR rotation. Are there any good introductory books for IR procedures so that I don't look like a total idiot on the away?

Also, does anybody know of a good diagnostic radiology book to learn the basics from as a 4th year student?

Much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

As far as DR, from what I've garnered from searches:
Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology and Wiest's Fundamentals of Emergency Radiology seem to be a good basic setup.

The pros can let me know if I missed anything.

When I did my away last year, they loaned me a copy of Squire's Fundamentals of Radiology. I read it and really liked it. It's much more broad than IR (hence the title), but I thought it was worth my time.

If you're solely going to be doing IR, I'd recommend brushing up on vascular anatomy. I really liked Practical Neuroangiography for some cerebral stuff I observed. See if your college has access to the free books on Ovid (they have Practical Neuroangiography and another titled Abrams' Angiography: Interventional Radiology) or just go to the library instead of buying your own (unless you're a gunner ;)). You might also have access to other online texts for "free" - thanks to your tuition - like Access Medicine or MD Consult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Squire's is good and a classic. Major has a new intro book out that I also quite like.

Yep, that be the one.

We use "Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics" and like it a lot.

thanks guys

ordered the learning radiology one. looks to be good for basics.

Still looking for a good, basic, "for idiots" type of book for IR etc. will follow the above recs