4th year elective PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanocobalamin

M4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has no PM&R program but it does have an elective which I plan to take, but I think I will take an away elective in an attempt to get additional letters, does anyone have any advice for a place that might be good to do an away elective?

Members don't see this ad.

cyanocobalamin said:
My school has no PM&R program but it does have an elective which I plan to take, but I think I will take an away elective in an attempt to get additional letters, does anyone have any advice for a place that might be good to do an away elective?

What part of the country do you live in? Or, what part of the country do you want to do your residency in?

staydin said:
What part of the country do you live in? Or, what part of the country do you want to do your residency in?

I live in the northeast. I would like to stay in the area but am open to moving.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do away electives at programs you would consider a "reach". If you don't have any programs in mind, then would go for the "name" programs so will get possibility of getting "name" recommendations. PM&R is a SMALL world. Physiatrists know each other so LORs mean a lot.

In the Northeast/tristate area would recommend Kessler, Rusk (although has gone down hill a bit, there are still some name attendings), Temple, Jefferson.

Would recommend doing both inpatient and outpatient to be balanced.

Go where you can get housing. Those costs can add up.

If you like smaller programs, highly recommend doing a rotation at JFK.

axm397 said:
I would do away electives at programs you would consider a "reach". If you don't have any programs in mind, then would go for the "name" programs so will get possibility of getting "name" recommendations. PM&R is a SMALL world. Physiatrists know each other so LORs mean a lot.

In the Northeast/tristate area would recommend Kessler, Rusk (although has gone down hill a bit, there are still some name attendings), Temple, Jefferson.

Would recommend doing both inpatient and outpatient to be balanced.

Go where you can get housing. Those costs can add up.

If you like smaller programs, highly recommend doing a rotation at JFK.

Any advice on:

University of Washington
UC-Davis
Chicago programs
University of Michigan
Ohio State

I am thinking of a smaller program so I can actually get to know some of the people there..
I can probably only spare one away rotation - we have 4 electives total in 4th year..