4th year electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterfly0660

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year interested in OB/GYN. I am currently trying to plan my schedule for next year. I have heard lots of people say that you will learn everything you need to know about OB/GYN in residency and to use this time to learn things of benefit in other fields. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kinds of things I should do electives in? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I think you should try to schedule one ob/gyn rotation, either general or one of the specialties. This should be an away rotation at a program that you want to check out, unless you are dead set on your home institution. This will give you a little more prespective about differences in residency programs, you will be able to showcase yourself to them, and maybe get an LOR.

As for other rotations I would suggest:

ICU (either MICU or SICU) will give you invaluable knowledge regarding fluid mgmt, tx of infections/sepsis, cardiovascular drugs, pulm/vent mgmt, experience at least watching codes, etc. etc. And if you play nice the residents usually let you get some procedures, lines, chest tubes, and the like.

EM gives you great exposure to anything and everything and will definately teach you to make great differentials and think of everthing possible. Also, the hours are ever so cush, I mean who can argue with working 17 shifts over a rotation that lasted 27 days!

A medicine subspecialty, I am doing Cardiology because heart problems and their drugs are so common I wanted to increase my knowledge. Also, I wanted to get improve my EKG interpretations skills. The other medical subs I would suggest are Renal so you won't have to ask "what does this BMP mean?" and endocrine because everybody and their momma's got diabetes.

Other ones might include Derm b/c people are always gonna ask you about a bump or a rash ( but when you're on your derm rotation NEVER say rash!) Also outpt medicine or family would be beneficial.

Divide up your year. Leave the last 2-3 months for easy rotations and relax. The interviews and travel will drain you by then and you'll enjoy the down time. Devote the rest of the time to rotations that you'll NOT be doing as an OB GYN resident and that you'll gain the most from. I would recommend DERM, NEURO, PATH (AUTOPSY especially for the anatomy aspect), GI (this will help you with the abd pain consults in middle of night), and ENDOCRINE.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
butterfly0660 said:
I am a 3rd year interested in OB/GYN. I am currently trying to plan my schedule for next year. I have heard lots of people say that you will learn everything you need to know about OB/GYN in residency and to use this time to learn things of benefit in other fields. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kinds of things I should do electives in? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Do at least 2 subinternships away at your 1st and 2nd choice early in the year. Send a prelim e-mail in early april to inquire about subinternship possibility now.

The other posters have good rec's. I would say leave ob for residency and try to complement your training with some related experience. ER, MICU, *NICU* (very helpful), Medicine Subspecialty of choice (GI or Cards is good), Derm, and save some fun things for the end. Also, schedule either december or january with something very light or take vacation because you'll need it for interviews.

Little known but well kept secret Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland OH had FREE ( at least when I was there many yrs ago) housing for students linked to the hospital with awesome rotation IM, ID, Gyn are awesome rotations there. They have videocams in all the ORs and L/S labs etc to train on. Metro Health OB/Gyn go here part of the time too.

Other secrets Orlando Regional offers similar rotations c housing on campus at reduced costs $300-400/mo. c awesome rotations in trauma, ER, general Sx to name a few

Good luck I would do rotations in one of the OB/Gyn subspec MFM, Gyn Onc, Uro Gyn, REI at an institution that does alot of research ( this means the PI is well known) and try to shine as this would be your best letter to help you match to a competitive program. I found rotations in several of the IM subspecialties very useful Cardiology, GI, Derm, ID to name a few I also did rotations in Gyn Onc MFM and Research.

Diane L. Evans said:
Little known but well kept secret Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland OH had FREE ( at least when I was there many yrs ago) housing for students linked to the hospital with awesome rotation IM, ID, Gyn are awesome rotations there. They have videocams in all the ORs and L/S labs etc to train on. Metro Health OB/Gyn go here part of the time too.

Yep, Cleveland Clinic still has free housing. I have never seen those specific rooms, but they are right by the rest of the call rooms, so I assume they're similar. They're pretty nice - a college sized bed, desk, lamp, small closet. You share a bathroom with an adjoining room, but each room has a small sink/mirror in it. The rooms are in a section connected to the main hospital, but CCF is huge, so depending on what service you're on and where your patients are, it could be a hike (10 mins, but all inside). CCF isn't doing OB at the main campus anymore, but Urogyn and Gyn Onc are great.