4th year in need of residency application advice...

Started by PedsAngel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PedsAngel

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the beginning of my 4th year of medical school, everyone at my school matched at incredible residencies, and Im just starting the process of putting together my application for pediatrics residencies and deciding wear to apply. I am concerned, because unfortunately I did not perform well on my Step1 exam (209) and redeemed myself a little with Step 2 (233). I guess I am worried that with these scores I won't even be considered at places like Duke, Chappel Hill, Columbia, Cornell, NYU. I was hoping to get some advice from those who have already gone through the process as I really have no reference as to how I will come across, how much the essay matters, and extracurriculars. I did go to Africa and work in a hospital between my 1st and 2nd year with a scholorship from my school, and am planning on going back later in 4th year (after the whole interview process is over), but I haven't done any research during medical school (I did take a year off in between undergrad and med school devoted purely to clinical trials however).
Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give me!!!
 
I am in the beginning of my 4th year of medical school, everyone at my school matched at incredible residencies, and Im just starting the process of putting together my application for pediatrics residencies and deciding wear to apply. I am concerned, because unfortunately I did not perform well on my Step1 exam (209) and redeemed myself a little with Step 2 (233). I guess I am worried that with these scores I won't even be considered at places like Duke, Chappel Hill, Columbia, Cornell, NYU. I was hoping to get some advice from those who have already gone through the process as I really have no reference as to how I will come across, how much the essay matters, and extracurriculars. I did go to Africa and work in a hospital between my 1st and 2nd year with a scholorship from my school, and am planning on going back later in 4th year (after the whole interview process is over), but I haven't done any research during medical school (I did take a year off in between undergrad and med school devoted purely to clinical trials however).
Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give me!!!
You're fine. If you do a search of this forum, you will see this topic comes up each and every year. You didn't fail the Steps, as you know, and did better than average on Step II. Step scores are important, but not the be all and end all that they are for some other specialties. There may be a big name program or two that might screen you out for that Step I score, but otherwise those scores won't keep you out of the running.

Apply to programs you're interested in and see how it all plays out. No one should use step scores as the basis for where they apply. (not saying that you are doing this!)

Your letters of recommendation and personal statement are probably the most important parts of your application. The fact that you spent time in another country should reflect well on you, especially if you learned anything useful or took away something that affects how you look at your future career. That should come through in your essay and/or interview.

Research is not a requirement for peds and most peds residents have not done research.

Good luck! 🙂