4th year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PltEnthusiast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was hoping to get your opinions on 4th year rotations. I have had conflicted opinions from faculty and med students and can't decide which one to go with. I took a year off after 3.5 years for research so I am not so fresh with all the clinical stuff. Do you guys suggest that I do strong clinical rotations such as more surgery AIs (I am applying to surgery) and a medicine AI to get ready for intern year or chill out and do easy rotations like radiology etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty are you trying to match into?

General surgery. I am guessing you are asking this because I asked about Internal Medicine AI... I was told that doing an AI in medicine will help regardless of what specialty I decide to go in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already submitted your applications yet or are you working on getting your fourth year schedule ready as a current third year? If you are a third year, get a surgery AI and some surgery electives early in 4th year to getting letters of recommendation. Schedule lighter electives October-Jan so you can interview. The rest of the year doesn't matter as long as you get your school's requirements in