4th year scheduling and applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pandoraone

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I am an average applicant interested in some top programs. I had some questions about scheduling my fourth year.

I have some free time at the end of third year/early forth year I was hoping to use to strengthen my application. My medical school has a year 3 neurology rotation. Is it necessary to do a Sub-I in neuro? Also, do I have to have my medicine sub-i done before application time? Will that strentghen my changes in light of a poor step 1 score at the top places?

Are there any other rotations I can do at my home institution to help show my interest in neuro? I don't plan on doing any aways, will that hurt a lot?

Thanks!
 
Sub-I in neuro is a good idea and will likely help you get letters, though not necessary. Medicine sub-I before applications isn't necessary- for me only one program ever asked about a non-neurology grade. I didn't do aways and it didn't hurt at all, though if you come from somewhere without much of a neuro department it would be a good idea. Neuroradiology is a good additional neuro elective to take, also spending time in the neuro ICU if available, and research.

As far as making up for a very low step 1 score, understand that to some degree you can't. There are programs that use step 1 as their first filter and won't even see anything else. For the rest, a drastically improved step 2, good clinical grades, strong LORs are musts, while publications can help you stand out as well.