4th yr vacation time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor D

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much vacation time does your school give you for interviews, etc? I thought my school had it good at 8 weeks until I talked to another US med student who had 22 weeks. Just curious if this is the norm?

Members don't see this ad.

How much vacation time does your school give you for interviews, etc? I thought my school had it good at 8 weeks until I talked to another US med student who had 22 weeks. Just curious if this is the norm?

22 weeks is crazy. My school gives you 1 month for interviews and 1 month for USMLE step 2. You can use them however you like (e.g. 6 week interview, 2 USMLE). There are also a couple "distance learning courses" that you take online. It's not exactly "time off", but it does allow you a lot of flexibility to you can do your coursework from airports or hotels. I think they limit it to 1 of these type of courses per student.

Members don't see this ad :)
One month. You can use it for interviews or split it up with two weeks for one and two weeks for the other.

My school requires that you do something like 46 weeks of clinical activities. We have more than a year in our 4th year (past years have started in April), so we end up with a couple months of vacation time to schedule when we see fit. Most people take a couple weeks for Step 2, a week or two for interviews, and then go on vacation after Match Day.

4 months to use however we want vacation/step 2/interviews. We start 3rd year in April so we have lots more time 4th year.

2-3 months. (3 if you didn't take one during third year, 2 if you did)

This, which I think is because we went to the same school ;) Almost everyone saved it for M4, so they could use it as an elective month during M3.

I stacked all three months up in a row, so I could take Step 2, do all my interviews, and have a baby.