5 Classes & Straight A's??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Possible?

I am thinking of doing it for GPA repair but I don't want it to backfire...

These are the classes I'm thinking of taking:

1.Orgo 2 - probably the hardest one
2.Bio 247 - Environmental Animal Physiology - not sure how hard it will be but it is upperlevel
3.ASL 2
4. A psychology course - probably a lot of reading/time
5. PHY 100 - Nature Physical World - hopefully easy (since it is 100)

plus orgo lab 2...

21 credits total

Would any of you recommend it or will it be too much??

Members don't see this ad.

That's...a LOT. Purely from a numbers standpoint, it's really risky. If you do badly in even one of those, it might actually bring your GPA down (depending on what it is).

Also, I think Orgo is something you really should focus on, it's a really important class not just because it's difficult but because adcoms look at it as an indication of how well you do in a very intensive and stressful environment.

If you insist on it, I recommend you check your university's website to find class evaluations (mine had a student-evaluated site for every professor) and make sure the classes you're choosing aren't too difficult. Also, make sure you're choosing the right professors.

Good luck!

Haha, pretty much the same situation here. Need to take a lot of classes to get that damn GPA to where it used to be. Sigh.

But that courseload looks okay. Should be a lot of time spent in classes & lab though. Watch out for O-Chem 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possible?

2.Bio 247 - Environmental Animal Physiology - not sure how hard it will be but it is upperlevel
3.ASL 2

plus orgo lab 2...

21 credits total

Is it possible? Yes

Is it probable? Only you can answer that. Do you feel that your study habits are up to snuff for a 21 credit semester. Have you handled close to this many and done well in the past?

What's ASL? American Sign Language?

you might be okay, just be prepared for the workload. i once took 6 courses (incl. physics & orgo) and 2 labs for a total of 20 credit hours, and worked part time. i did fine, but i didn't have room for anything else.

edit. and by "anything else," i mean... talking to people.

Last edited:
Don't think like that.

Make sure you do your absolute best in each of those classes, seeking outside help in office hours and from other students when needed.

I would think it would be a horrible feeling to constantly obsess about getting all straight As. At the beginning of each semester I promise myself I will do my best in each course with the realistic goal of always staying above a 3.5 and a hopeful goal of getting above a 3.7. It has worked every semester thus far with my worst being a 3.51 (First Sem/Freshman Year) and my best being 3.93 (First Sem/Junior Year) which was what I just received.

It's doable and has been done many times before. I've done something similar. The most important thing is to go to every single class and not get behind. Go over your notes before and after class. I got behind and skipped a lot of lectures and it made the job a hell of a lot harder for me.

wow, i could never pull 21 credits and all As (if taking a demanding science load) unless i cut back on ECs

i have friends who pull those kind of semesters, but none of them make straight As lol

its possible, but unlikely unless you have been getting high gpas in previous semesters

if you are looking to repair gpa, why not take fewer credits next semester and maybe do a summer session or something? break the load up into chucks would probably increase your chances of making all As

if we assume
grades = academic ability / course load
and
academic ability = total ability - stress level
and
stress level = course load / fun
and
constant = course load * fun
fun = constant / course load

We substitute in the variables to the first equation (grades = academic ability / course load) and your answer is clear

grades = [total ability - course load / (constant / course load)] / course load

now to simplify

grades = (total ability - course load ^ 2 / constant ) / course load

clear? :)

if we assume
and
and
and

We substitute in the variables to the first equation (grades = academic ability / course load) and your answer is clear

now to simplify

I did fairly well, apparently. Thank you

Possible?

3.ASL 2

plus orgo lab 2...

21 credits total

Yes that is possible. 21 creds and all but you have some easy classes in there. Orgo 2 is not bad just study daily and you'll be fine. Straight A's with good work ethic :)

if we assume
and
and
and

now to simplify

I'm in love.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a warning, i took ASL 2, and it is HARD.

My semester:
Physics
Chem
Stats
Microbiology

I had a ton of ECs too + research (basically 4 labs)

It sucked.... don't do it

ASL = American Sign Language

My semester:
Physics
Chem
Stats
Microbiology

I had a ton of ECs too + research (basically 4 labs)

It sucked.... don't do it

I have that exact one this semester almost

Physics 2 + 3 hour lab
Biochem 2
Microbiology w/ 6 hours of lab a week
Bio elective
20 hours undergrad research

Looks like 30 hours in the lab a week..hmm

What is the best that can happen if you take 21 credit hours? You raise your GPA a bit.
What is the worst thing that can happen if you take 21 credit hours? You stress out, burn out, and your GPA crashes.

All I'm saying is be careful about this. Carefully look at the added benefit an A in those 3 extra hours will get you. Generally, medical schools won't give you extra points for a highly loaded semester in which you make some A's and B's. It would be better to do slightly less and guarantee yourself those A's. You could also try it for a few weeks and drop a class if you think it is too much (some schools have a grace period where the class will disappear totally from your transcript).

if we assume
and
and
and

now to simplify

Not to be the dick engineering kid but I think you could simplify it more to get:

grades = (total ability / course load) - (course load / constant)

I personally find this form of the equation a bit easier to use :D

Not to be the dick engineering kid but I think you could simplify it more to get:

grades = (total ability / course load) - (course load / constant)

I personally find this form of the equation a bit easier to use :D

yeah, just like an engineer, I got lazy by the end of the post ;)

but I do agree it's easier to see on this equation the effect of course load on grades. If we assume total ability is a constant as well then we can have a graph with some peaks for analysis. I wonder how stable this equation is though... maybe I'll bring out my ti-89 for a quick graph later.

dude, don't sweat it, you'll be fine. I'm sure everyone has to take a killer semester at some point in college. If anything, it'll show you how prepared you are to handle the workload. in all honesty, that seems like a pretty manageable courseload. I took 21 units my freshman year (2 engineering classes, physics, chemistry lab, physics lab) and managed to get straight A's, while also having a life and doing some ECs. Just budget your time correctly and don't stress out too much. Try not to have to do this again, though... it worked once for me, but I don't think I could pull it off again (yes, it WAS a lot of work)

A high number of credits really came back to bite me in the rear during finals week at my institution. I had multiple finals in a short period of time with multiple finals on a given day sometimes. That is especially the case with physics and orgo because we had lab finals for those as well as "regular" finals.

Those finals weeks were very stressful for me. I used to be reminded during those times that maybe this many credits was not a good idea. Just something to think about...

What if I just dropped the 1-credit orgo lab since that will give me a lot of time (3 hour labs + 1 hour lecture + lab write up) and then take that next spring? would this be a bad idea to separate the orgo lab from the course?

What if I just dropped the 1-credit orgo lab since that will give me a lot of time (3 hour labs + 1 hour lecture + lab write up) and then take that next spring? would this be a bad idea to separate the orgo lab from the course?

People do it all the time. The lab and the lecture are pretty independent of eachother, though it might help you a bit by keeping some of O-chem fresh another semester. Less to study for the MCAT. Is this O-chem 1 or 2? If its 1, that might be bad if you intend to do both next semester.

Thanks!

It would be for orgo 2 lab

This way, I could still try taking the 5 courses and not have to devote so much time to this each week..

Does this seem like a reasonable plan or should I stick with 4 courses and the lab?

I will also be doing some research (3-4 hours a week probably)

I'm sure you'll be able to do it! Some of those courses seem like they would be interesting (apart from Orgo II, which I'm also taking this coming semester :scared:).

And I know how you feel about wanting those straight A's. I want, no, need those A's after I messed up big time this past semester. :oops:

Perhaps drop one class, and limit the number of credit hours to the teens. I took Chem, Org Chem, Phys, and Bio, and another arts class last sem, and it was horrible. The lesser the load, the easier the semester will be, and the more time you can devote to your remaining classes (assuming you keep the same work ethic!)

And I think the lab and lecture should be kept together, even though they aren't mutually exclusive. That way you could complete and concentrate on your pre-reqs in chunks, rather than spreading one subject out too far.

Good luck to you, with whatever you decide! May you get all those A's and more!

Last edited:
It's possible. I did 6 classes for 21 hours one semester and managed a 4.0 :] Just hole up in the library or your room a lot and it is for sure doable.

Sorry. I accidentally typed another post up because I thought I deleted the other one.

Thank goodness for the edit function. :oops:

Bro, listen up man, there is NOTHING thats too much if you put the time into it. But plan your schedule through, are they easy teachers, do they normalize, do you have an aptitude in those courses? But honestly speaking there is nothing called too much if you put the effort in it.

P.S: Why are you rushing, take your time undergrad is something you should enjoy before evil medschool :smuggrin:....I am pretty damn old (dont want to say), but I would never do such a tedious schedule

Oh and one more thing, O-chem 2 is EASY compared to 1, because there are a couple of reactions and all you do is the same ones over and over again (atleast for me)...always a base comes attacks an acid and blah blah blah, so dont sweat orgo 2 :)

My O-Chem II course was mostly just arrow pushing. You have to become an expert at know which electrons do what. It's not too bad if you have a great professor who takes you step by step, but if you have a professor who uses powerpoints rather than the chalkboard then you're in trouble.

Psssh TI-89's own all :)

If orgo 2 is just reactions then I'll be fine :] Reactions = easy memorization

If you try to memorize all those reactions, you'll be dead in the water IMO. Just to know how to move electrons and identify nucleophile/electrophile. Some reagents you'll undoubtedly have to memorize, but not the reactions.

I decided on taking the 5 courses but dropping the lab and saving that for next spring..i'm still not sure if this is the best way to go but we'll see.

If i get ~4.0 for the next 3 semesters..will my poor gpa up til now be overlooked? I'm worried about the C, 2 C+'s, and 2 B-'s in bcpm courses..but if I do well from now on do I have a chance to get in traditionally? I'll have ~3.5 cumulative and ~3.35 bcpm which is still low but will the more recent 3 semesters be looked at more favorably?

if we assume
and
and
and

now to simplify

bahaha.. only on sdn! love it