5 days left, and torn between 2 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPmustangs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am torn on what school to accept on Thursday. I have been accepted to BU and SLU, and am on the waitlist at USC (top choice). I have sent a letter of intent to USC. Both schools BU and SLU did not offer me any aid so it is all loans. I am trying to decide what school would suit me better, I have no idea what specialty i would like to go into but I want to keep all doors open. I have heard the BU rotations can be stressful and there is verbal abuse, but no one has confirmed that it was all hear say. SLU would probably be cheaper and I would be taking less classes at a time, so that might be less stressful, but then BU is pass/fail while SLU is graded. I am up for any ideas or thoughts any one has. DO you have any idea which might be better if i wanted to do some research in the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

I am torn on what school to accept on Thursday. I have been accepted to BU and SLU, and am on the waitlist at USC (top choice). I have sent a letter of intent to USC. Both schools BU and SLU did not offer me any aid so it is all loans. I am trying to decide what school would suit me better, I have no idea what specialty i would like to go into but I want to keep all doors open. I have heard the BU rotations can be stressful and there is verbal abuse, but no one has confirmed that it was all hear say. SLU would probably be cheaper and I would be taking less classes at a time, so that might be less stressful, but then BU is pass/fail while SLU is graded. I am up for any ideas or thoughts any one has. DO you have any idea which might be better if i wanted to do some research in the summer?

I would go to BU. I have never been to St. Louis, but I would say Boston is a much more fun place to live for the next 4 years. Also, p/f is huge. Med students will tell you this themselves, you cannot underestimate how much of a difference it'll make in your happiness and stress level. I liked BU when I interviewed there. The environment was chill and they had cool students. My tour guide was pretty damn hot too. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
P/F sounds pretty stress free.

Depends on what you wanna do. Slu is right next to WUSTL, and they have a lot of interaction. So if you want research in your career, I'd say SLU. On a sidenote, I'm from STL, and its a great city, plus chicago isnt that far so its a pretty good choice.

However, BU is in Boston. I personally dont like BU, but Boston is an amazing town. Loads of fun. Plus the clinical experience is great too.

So to sum it up: research, SLU clinical,fun:BU

It should be good to know that BU isn't entirely P/F. They do have a graded p/f system in that there's a High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, and Fail. I did my Masters there, and while we grad students were graded on the traditional A - F scale, the med students did have differences between high pass, pass, low pass, etc. Something to consider...

It should be good to know that BU isn't entirely P/F. They do have a graded p/f system in that there's a High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, and Fail. I did my Masters there, and while we grad students were graded on the traditional A - F scale, the med students did have differences between high pass, pass, low pass, etc. Something to consider...

are you sure this is accurate? from my interview, i remember them saying that the first year was pass/fail, while the second year was honors/pass/fail.

i don't remember hearing anything about high pass/pass/low pass, etc..

are you sure this is accurate? from my interview, i remember them saying that the first year was pass/fail, while the second year was honors/pass/fail.

i don't remember hearing anything about high pass/pass/low pass, etc..

His information is a year or two old. It has been changed to all pass/fail now.

he's being sarcastic/smartass

What else is new.

Anyway, I would go with BU, quality of life (for the 5% of the time where you actually have a life) would be better in Boston, right? Congrats on your acceptances and I hope you get off the waitlist at USC!

to add a little insight... I picked SLU over Rush, despite the city difference, because of the curriculum at SLU. While SLU is honors/near honors/pass/fail, I was a big fan of the curriculum, and the students there told me that it made the material much more manageable.

Perhaps they changed it this year then... During the 2006 - 2007 academic year, it was as I stated above.

Depends on what you wanna do. Slu is right next to WUSTL, and they have a lot of interaction. So if you want research in your career, I'd say SLU. On a sidenote, I'm from STL, and its a great city, plus chicago isnt that far so its a pretty good choice.

However, BU is in Boston. I personally dont like BU, but Boston is an amazing town. Loads of fun. Plus the clinical experience is great too.

So to sum it up: research, SLU clinical,fun:BU

I'm not sure I would pick SLU over BU for research.

1. BU does WAY more research than SLU.

2. If you're going to say it's beneficial to be able to do research at WUSTL if you go to SLU, then you could argue that Boston also has Tufts as well as all of the Harvard-affiliated programs for research opportunities.