5 Waitlists... Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I am currently sat on 5 post-interview waitlists after this application year. I applied to 9 schools and had 5 interviews. Here are my stats (I know it's long but just to give you a good idea):
3.85 cGPA, 3.95sGPA with 4x4.0's in a row my junior and senior year (got a 3.5 my first semester as I had just moved country and my dad back in the UK got a terminal cancer diagnosis). MCAT of 509 (128,125, 128, 128 - CARS screwed me)
ECs at time of application (end of junior year): pretty crappy. 200 hours clinical volunteering as a patient care aide, 1 year of genetics research with a presentation but no publication, 200 hours volunteering as a crisis text line counselor, 1 year of being an organic chem workshop leader, 1x honor society, 3x jobs that I've held down since freshman year (on-campus).
ECs for my reapplication next year are pretty good and some of these I have submitted as updates. I can add on VP of chem club, Senior year rep for my college's programming board, started scribing in April (100 hours already and will get around ~1500 by May 2020), tutoring orgo, biochem, gen bio 10 hours a week, another year of orgo workshop leader, another honor society, academic award, volunteering at a soup kitchen since March 3 hours a week, another 100 hours of volunteering as a PCA at the same hospital but on a different floor. I'm looking to go to a summer camp for a week to volunteer for a muscular dystrophy organization.
so here's the thing: I would say I am pretty good on paper but I HAVE to be messing up in my interviews. I guess I'm a little surprised because I'm definitely not a socially awkward weirdo (I'm very extroverted) and I don't get really really nervous for interviews and I can hold a conversation but I have to be doing something wrong to not get an acceptance. Any advice out there (EDIT): on interviewing skills, covert things interviewers may note as red flags e.g. body language??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys. So I am currently sat on 5 post-interview waitlists after this application year. I applied to 9 schools and had 5 interviews. Here are my stats (I know it's long but just to give you a good idea):
3.85 cGPA, 3.95sGPA with 4x4.0's in a row my junior and senior year (got a 3.5 my first semester as I had just moved country and my dad back in the UK got a terminal cancer diagnosis). MCAT of 509 (128,125, 128, 128 - CARS screwed me)
ECs at time of application (end of junior year): pretty crappy. 200 hours clinical volunteering as a patient care aide, 1 year of genetics research with a presentation but no publication, 200 hours volunteering as a crisis text line counselor, 1 year of being an organic chem workshop leader, 1x honor society, 3x jobs that I've held down since freshman year (on-campus).
ECs for my reapplication next year are pretty good and some of these I have submitted as updates. I can add on VP of chem club, Senior year rep for my college's programming board, started scribing in April (100 hours already and will get around ~1500 by May 2020), tutoring orgo, biochem, gen bio 10 hours a week, another year of orgo workshop leader, another honor society, academic award, volunteering at a soup kitchen since March 3 hours a week, another 100 hours of volunteering as a PCA at the same hospital but on a different floor. I'm looking to go to a summer camp for a week to volunteer for a muscular dystrophy organization.
so here's the thing: I would say I am pretty good on paper but I HAVE to be messing up in my interviews. I guess I'm a little surprised because not a socially awkward weirdo and I don't get really really nervous for interviews and I can hold a conversation but I have to be doing something wrong to not get an acceptance. Any advice out there??
It might not be you...the lock of the multiple acceptance report seems to have played havoc with accepts this year.

Just be patient but always work on Plan B.
With a 509 MCAT score, yuou need some DO schools on your list if it comes to a re-app.

And stay busy!!!

Reactions: 3 users
It might not be you...the lock of the multiple acceptance report seems to have played havoc with accepts this year.

Just be patient but always work on Plan B.
With a 509 MCAT score, yuou need some DO schools on your list if it comes to a re-app.

And stay busy!!!

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I had a couple of DO schools in there and got waitlisted at the 2 I interviewed at (NYITCOM, LECOM). I’m going to apply with the 509 but I’m retaking in July (my mistake was studying for a month working full-time). Any advice for improving my interviewing skills if I have to reapply next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
For a waitlist I encourage applicants to actively wait

Hahaha thats some good advice. Maybe I didn’t word it right though I guess more with the interviews specifically as I’m probably doing something that's setting off red flags to my interviewers.

Last edited: