5 withdrawals on transcript, dropping more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnySmilez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there's been a few threads on withdrawals, but I haven't seen too many people with 5+ withdrawals. The 5 withdrawals I already have were from a semester 2 years ago when I was struggling with major depression resulting in a hospital visit and dropped classes. I'm all recovered now but the problem is I am currently considering a 6th withdrawal: I was wrongly advised by my college counselor that I needed to take 2 plant and animal diversity classes this semester-but turns out, those classes aren't required by the dental hygiene BS program at the schools (2 of them UCs) I plan to apply to. If I keep both classes, it looks like I'm heading to get Bs in both of them, affecting my 3.9 GPA. One of my professor for the classes is really not the best teacher, to put it nicely; almost half the class has dropped less than halway through the semester. If I drop, I can focus on getting an A in the other class and have less stress. However, I feel a 6th withdrawal would be worse than two Bs in two unneeded classes-do you guys have any advice? Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Im not too well versed in dental hygiene programs but I never listened a lick of word my counselor said after she told me that a non-science major class was going to satisfy medical/dental school requirements.

To answer your question, I would just withdraw and lump it with the same reason as the other withdraws. GPA is important.

just make sure you explain that in your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I am going to PM you, check you inbox :)

I don't think it is as important in hygiene, however, I only have an AS in Dental Hygiene. My BS is in Biology...My transcript has me with 2 F's because I did not Withdrawl 2 classes I thought I had and 6 withrawls because I never started the classes (stupid school weird way of doing their transcripts) and I got into Dental School. However, these were all from 18 years ago when I was 20...so there's that.

I had 6 W's in undergrad. That was also several years ago as I am a non traditional student. I don't think I'd take a W if my grades were B's. That's just my opinion though.

Reactions: 1 user
I have 9 or 10 withdrawals on my transcript. Which half of those classes I withdrew within the first two or three days of the class and even got a full refund. My school counts any drop after the first two days as a withdrawal, but will give you a full refund for any drop within the first week to week and a half. o_O

Anyway I'm not sure how I'm going to explain mine. I guess just immaturity in regards to the science courses I dropped and then deciding I didn't really need the courses for the others I withdrew from.

This is kind of what happened to me. When I was 20 I went through a bad divorce and my ex actually kidnapped our daughter...I was able to talk about my hardships on the AADSAS application. All went well and I was accepted to DDS school. My grades in BS school were pretty much all A's and B's with a C in biochem :confused:.

I had a couple of withdrawals and transferred to three different schools, and still managed to get into the best dental schools with scholarships. I thought it would be a big deal, but none of the schools even mentioned it in my interviews or even seemed to care. They care more about a high GPA and DAT and other parts of your application.

Im not too well versed in dental hygiene programs but I never listened a lick of word my counselor said after she told me that a non-science major class was going to satisfy medical/dental school requirements.

To answer your question, I would just withdraw and lump it with the same reason as the other withdraws. GPA is important.

Thank you for replying! I'm seriously considering withdrawing one of the two courses. I'm just worried because there's a stigma to mental illness and I'm afraid the schools will take it as a sign that I won't be able to handle the hygiene program (even though I did well in all my classes since then).

Sorry to hear about your difficulty. When schools look at your transcripts, the numerical value of GPA is certainly important. At the same time, they want to see if you have a diverse coursework and challenge yourself when possible. Could too many withdraws mean you are not challenging yourself enough or having serious trouble succeeding in classes on first try (I might be wrong about this assumption)? If you are concerned about your GPA, perhaps taking a 6th withdraw is good move though you should be prepared to come up with a good explanation in your application and interview (this could be red flag).
Even if you are not satisfied with your GPA, you still have DAT, recommendation letters, personal statement to convince the admissions you are the best candidate. The admissions take a holistic view on the applicant's file before making decisions.

You need to do well on the Allied Health admittance exam. I totally rocked that was a 96%. That is what got me into hygiene school. Good Luck.