5 year rule for courses taken.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shojaeis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduted a few weeks ago. and I wont be applying to medical school the earliest June 2010. I have heard about schools not looking at courses over 5 years. So what happens to courses I took my freshmen year? Do i have to retake them? What if I apply June 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

think about what you just said for a second. i hope you realize how ridiculous it sounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
im sorry but why is it ridiculous? care to share what you mean?

I graduted a few weeks ago. and I wont be applying to medical school the earliest June 2010. I have heard about schools not looking at courses over 5 years. So what happens to courses I took my freshmen year? Do i have to retake them? What if I apply June 2011.

First, if you did a search on the NONTRAD board (where post-graduation questions are generally better addressed -- the traditional premeds who go straight from college to med school never face many of these issues, which is why some of the responses you are getting don't "get" the source of your confusion), you would find many threads on the same topic. The short answer is that most med schools don't have an explicit expiration on prereqs -- a few, in fact, do, and usually set the cut-off at people 5, 7 or 10 years out of college (not out of freshman year). But even those which don't have an explicit expiration generally want to see "recent success" in the sciences. Meaning if you graduate and don't do science for a number of years, you can't really just rely on the prereqs you took back when -- you would be expected to take some upper levels, or if it was a very long time ago, even retake things. Hope that helps.

it's very normal for people to take a year off between undergrad and medical school. It's also not unheard of for people to take a year off during undergrad for medical or family issues, or just because they feel like it.

it would be completely unreasonable for courses to "expire" after 5 years, and would screw over a lot of people.

it's very normal for people to take a year off between undergrad and medical school. It's also not unheard of for people to take a year off during undergrad for medical or family issues, or just because they feel like it.

it would be completely unreasonable for courses to "expire" after 5 years, and would screw over a lot of people.

Again, I think the OP misunderstood the 5 year rule that some places have, which is that some programs want you to have taken science courses recently within, say, 5 years of college graduation -- a rule that comes into play for older nontrads who have been out of school for a while.