@LizzyM Holiday Rule still applicable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Pediatrics

Reaction score
Hi! So I was verified a few weeks ago and am still submitting secondaries. I'm really trying to write every secondary as if the school is the only medical school I'm applying to. Is being complete by Labor Day still considered "on time" nowadays? Some premeds on some of these forums and Reddit seem to be very neurotic. Just asking, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I stand by my assertion that being complete (primary, secondary and letters) by Labor Day is "on time".

These days, schools can read, score, sort by score and skim the top 45-60 applicants from the pool each week and make their interview invites. This is much easier than it was 25 years ago when things were "low tech". The reading and scoring takes an enormous amount of time and you could have the bad luck of being assigned to a pokey reader. However, as long as you rise to the top of the pool (~top 10-15%) you'll get an interview even if you are a little late in applying or late because the person scoring your application was slow. You are always competing with the others in the pool who have not yet been tapped for an interview.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Premeds are neurotic? Really?

I agree with @LizzyM . You have to understand that you need to play a long game and not worry about being in the "first batch" or get a pre-October interview. Filling medical school classes takes quite a while, and the game is not over until you get into CYMS (for AMCAS).

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users