50/50 cream and ointment mix?

Started by clachan3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clachan3

Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a prescription for Triamcinolone 0.5% cream 50/50 mix with Aquaphor today. I can't remember ever mixing a cream into an ointment in the past 5 years, but I don't get to compound anything too fancy. I know I should just mix whatever the doctor tells me to :shrug: I guess the two should mix, but have you mixed a cream and an ointment together lately?
 
Triamcinolone cream in Aquaphilic, in varying strengths, is a popular compound around here. At my retail job, we would make a stock jar, a pound at a time, just so we wouldn't have to mix it up every time.

I've mixed creams and ointments many times and never had a problem. Even if they don't mix completely, they are miscible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Diltiazem CREAM? Did I read that right? What is THAT used for, and how is it compounded? Do you use tablets, powdered diltiazem, or the IV formulation?

ETA: I just Googled it; it's used for hemorrhoids and anal fissues. I have seen Nitrostat ointment, diluted 10:1 with petroleum jelly, used for the same thing.
 
I got a prescription for Triamcinolone 0.5% cream 50/50 mix with Aquaphor today. I can't remember ever mixing a cream into an ointment in the past 5 years, but I don't get to compound anything too fancy. I know I should just mix whatever the doctor tells me to :shrug: I guess the two should mix, but have you mixed a cream and an ointment together lately?
Aquaphor is hydrophilic.