500+ job are posted here. (ASHP and PPS services)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ornithoptor

long time observer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was never interested in residency or clinical service. however, ten plus years ago, I registered for ASHP, and paid $100 more for PPS service. At the conference, I did not go to any sessions, but spend my three days there having 20+ interviews and ultimately received management job offer at a 500+ beds teaching hospital.

This year, there are 1000+ job position, 500+ are resident positions, the other 500 are actual job openings.

I have talked to a few students and they did not want to pay the $150 for PPS services.

Do you think spend on PPS as good investment to score many interviews?

ASHP membership + mid-year registration + PPS service + flight + hotel + allowance = $2,000

What is 2K more when you already spent 200K on your education?
With additional 2K investment, you could potentially interview with 20 hospital directors directly where your resume typically buried in a pile of 200 applicants.

Didn't we complain pharmacy jobs are scarce in this forum all the time, but there are 500 openings right here right now!!!

I like to see people's take on this strategy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was never interested in residency or clinical service. however, ten plus years ago, I registered for ASHP, and paid $100 more for PPS service. At the conference, I did not go to any sessions, but spend my three days there having 20+ interviews and ultimately received management job offer at a 500+ beds teaching hospital.

This year, there are 1000+ job position, 500+ are resident positions, the other 500 are actual job openings.

I have talked to a few students and they did not want to pay the $150 for PPS services.

ASHP membership + mid-year registration + PPS service + flight + hotel + allowance = $2,000

With additional 2K investment, you could potentially interview with 20 hospital directors directly where your resume typically buried in a pile of 200 applicants.

Didn't we complain pharmacy jobs are scarce in this forum all the time, but there are 500 openings right here right now!!!

If you want to work/live in CA then doing PPS for jobs is a waste of time and money. CA companies don’t interview at PPS because the applicant pool/competition for positions is fierce so they know they will attract talent without having to “advertise” in this way.

On the contrary, PPS is a great opportunity for a small, new institution or an institution based in a geographically hard-to-recruit area (i.e. BFE) to get their name out there and get at more applicants than they would otherwise.

The result? There are “jobs” at PPS but they are generally not the “unicorn” or “desirable/tier 1” jobs. But hey, if you are desperate for anything then I agree that this would be a viable strategy.

I found PPS to be worth every penny. That’s how I got my PGY2 and my first job. The networking alone was worth it.

I don’t see utility for PGY1, even though I trained at a facility that does offer it for PGY1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to work/live in CA then doing PPS for jobs is a waste of time and money. CA companies don’t interview at PPS because the applicant pool/competition for positions is fierce so they know they will attract talent without having to “advertise” in this way.

On the contrary, PPS is a great opportunity for a small, new institution or an institution based in a geographically hard-to-recruit area (i.e. BFE) to get their name out there and get at more applicants than they would otherwise.

The result? There are “jobs” at PPS but they are generally not the “unicorn” or “desirable/tier 1” jobs. But hey, if you are desperate for anything then I agree that this would be a viable strategy.

Disagree. Found my 1st post-residency unicorn job in California via PPS.

I changed the title due to low response rate.

I am really surprised that we complain about job availabilities all the time but comments and views are minimal for this thread.

I don't want to jump to conclusion, but does 500+ job openings and lack of responds de-mystify the job shortage in the field? or saturation noises mostly came from retail setting where qualifications are in doubt for these hospital positions?

I have monitored PPS closely and I have not seen 500+ job openings for a while. I truly believe this is the time to capitalize on the opportunity if you are open for relocation and qualify for the jobs.

At work, I just convince someone on rotation to go recently. Many people are not even aware of this resource. My goal for the thread is to share the opportunities with people who are not familiar with ASHP. I hope we stimulate some discussions and motivate changes.

I won't attend PPS at this time since I have a decent job, but welcome any questions or interests.

I don't want to jump to conclusion, but does 500+ job openings and lack of responds de-mystify the job shortage in the field? or saturation noises mostly came from retail setting where qualifications are in doubt for these hospital positions?

I have monitored PPS closely and I have not seen 500+ job openings for a while. I truly believe this is the time to capitalize on the opportunity if you are open for relocation and qualify for the jobs.

This guy...there's about 14k new graduates a year. Employment change, aka net number of jobs created vs destroyed, from 2016-2026 is expected to be 17k according to BLS. That's 17k over ten years. Sure, people retire, but not at any rate that comes close to what would be needed.

Even if the employment change number isn't accurate, 1k (500 of which are residencies) jobs doesn't even touch the number of new graduates who will need jobs. You're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here.

This is the first I've heard of PPS... interesting.

Not trying to solve world peace or providing solutions to a profession.

There is no magic to make that happen.

Simply trying to connect the right people who have the desire and preparations to potential leads and opportunities.

BTW, Someone was concerns that only smaller system have jobs available.

There are actually openings from Johns Hopkins, Intermountain, Dana Farber, Kaiser, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, MD Anderson, Novant, NIH, IU, UK, UPMC, HCA, Ascension, Cone, Geisinger, Duke, UNC......

All the big names are here and not just residency but actual jobs.

If you have to "PAY" to get a "better" chance at a job, that should be a red flag something is wrong right there. This entire field is overwhelmed with people who grab your cash in different ways because they know you are desperate and this is a sinking ship.And why is your resume "buried" in a pile of 200 applicants? You want my "take" or "strategy" ? everyone needs to stop sinking money into pharmacy, it's a bad investment, with poor quality of life.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's very interesting, glad it worked out for you. And to the others about the interviewing "fee", it's more for the utility issues of finding a venue or such. In good markets, employers foot the entire bill. In these markets, it's split. There's some "skin in the game" motivation as well if you pay into the system that you will show up for your interviews.

So how fast do you think those 500+ jobs are going to be taken and becomes 0+ jobs?

I did PPS and found it to be a valuable use of my time. It helped me narrow down my choices so I knew where not to apply. It was actually very useful and I felt it was worth the cost.

people on these threads like to complain just to complain. It is of course worth it to attend PPS, and you should not be surprised to have to pay for the ability to interview. It is the largest gathering of pharmacists in the country, and would not be logistically possible to simply open the floodgates to any schmuck who walked in the door with a resume.

That being said, I do not believe these positions are exclusively accepting applications from PPS. In fact, many of the postings on ASHP's job board will provide a link to apply to the position with the institution, not just the PPS interview set up. So people could easily search the job board and reach out to those institutions themselves to express interest/gather information and apply, without going to PPS

but that's none of my business.

Why are these always in the same location? Vegas, Anaheim, NOLA, Orlando. Can we get some in the northeast?

Because it's in december and no one wants to do that

Reactions: 3 users
Why are these always in the same location? Vegas, Anaheim, NOLA, Orlando. Can we get some in the northeast?

The Midyear conference is so massive there are only a few conference centers large enough. Also the time of year - no one will want to go north of the mason Dixon line in December.

PPS jobs are not useful if you are a new grad lol you used it 10 years ago... times have changed, it wasn't that useful even 5 years ago for new grads... take njac above for example, he found it useful cause he had a PGY2 lol

I interviewed for a job at PPS when I first graduated, and the interviewer straight up told me without any experience you won't be getting a call back, he had more than 50 applicants for that one job already lol

not sure why you are so excited about this and trying to convince new grads to go for it.... I guess 5% chance of landing a job is better than not trying at all lol

So how fast do you think those 500+ jobs are going to be taken and becomes 0+ jobs?

I have been on the giving end as well as receiving end. When I was recruiting at PPS, we do not make the decision at the moment. Candidate are usually invited to the facility for "Real" interview later.

Thus, I would imagine decision on candidate would not be made until March to June time frame. Some even take budget year impact into considerations.

There are definitely some great feedbacks.

How it works:
Candidate can interviews with decision maker bypassing typical HR process.
If you perform well, you could be invited for on site interviews.

This is how I feel about PPS:
The advantage it offers is to put you ahead of other candidates who apply the job through website and waiting for the HR grinds where you may not make it due to licensing issue, location issue, lack of experience. However, since you interview with decision maker, and if you perform well, you can still you bypass the HR filters and be invited for on-site interviews. This is a great advantage over other candidates who they see on paper only.
If you do well, it could fast track you to the final pile of applicants. Of course, you still have to deliver when you interview on-site.

As for new grad, this give you a shot if you have previous working history, perhaps a niche job.
For example, I saw a opening role for reimbursement for pharmD. To me, if you have worked in finance, PBM, with degree in business, you could arrange for that interview even without years of experience. Why, because that is a niche skill, and system will struggle to find a lot of candidates, which means you could have a good shot.

For new grad, perhaps this could sharpen your interview skills. I had over 20 interviews at PPS, but I walked away with valuable experience that paved my success with numerous interviews in my career.

I can see concerns with cost associated if you were not planning on going to ASHP. However, if you are going to ASHP, this cost you $150 and you can set up as many interview as your schedule allows.

Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Your school failed you. We heard about it the first time anyone mentioned Midyear our first year.

Maybe. There is a chance that I didn't listen, but maybe. Anytime someone tried to talk residency is a must, go to mid year, go to annual, etc. I pretty much tune(d) them out.

I have been on the giving end as well as receiving end. When I was recruiting at PPS, we do not make the decision at the moment. Candidate are usually invited to the facility for "Real" interview later.

Thus, I would imagine decision on candidate would not be made until March to June time frame. Some even take budget year impact into considerations.

Do you really think we are "valued" this much? Most of these hiring managers only care about one thing. Cost of wages now. We are a slab of meat with a license. And there are thousands more just like you and i. I'm not saying to give up ALL hope, but my god man, you need to know when to throw down your guns and waive the white flag.....we are outgunned now. Overpowered and overwhelmed.

Maybe. There is a chance that I didn't listen, but maybe. Anytime someone tried to talk residency is a must, go to mid year, go to annual, etc. I pretty much tune(d) them out.

Eh, back in my day no one said anything about residency being a must. We went because we wanted to. And because Vegas.

Do you really think we are "valued" this much? Most of these hiring managers only care about one thing. Cost of wages now. We are a slab of meat with a license. And there are thousands more just like you and i. I'm not saying to give up ALL hope, but my god man, you need to know when to throw down your guns and waive the white flag.....we are outgunned now. Overpowered and overwhelmed.

I agree with your assessment 100% for the retail side.

On the other hand, my system of 50 hospitals is PAYING incentive to recruit certain positions which I have shared on this board before. Each individual hired are carefully chosen for our system. We actually send out numerous pharmacist to interview candidates for this event. Last year our AVP was interviewing candidates who was a decision maker. Also, wage is only accounted for a small factor; we aim for the most qualified candidate, HR calculates offers and we have rights to move the offer up with limits.

Despite the recent salary drop for the new hires in retail, our system has moved up the pay scale by 10% recently, New max for staff pharmacists is about ~$70 in large Metropolitan in Southeast region.

Experienced pharmacists with specialties and niched knowledge are not commodity in hospital system, and we do everything we can to keep them. Our system pay a lot attention on employee engagement and write report and action plan if employees have legitimate complains. There were cases where directors were demoted due to multiple bad surveys.

I guess hospital systems keep the secret too well on HR policies and recruiting processes that pharmacists who work in community setting really could not have picked these tips up during their P4 rotations. As result, a lot of graduates did not entertain the residency idea not fully knowing the advantage working for hospital systems. There is definitely something to think about.

I understand the level of frustrations experienced on the community's side and not the focus of this thread.
This thread is intended to inform the interested with information and actionable intelligence.

Just to keep everyone informed: Under ASHP PPS service at mid year; My hospital interviewed multiple positions for oncology pharmacist with sign on bonus. 20 plus candidates interviewed for each positions.
I myself was offered a job at $80+ per hour.
Jobs are available to those who have prepared.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile