500 on MCAT :/ continue with application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missionarydoctorhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back my MCAT score and got a 500, which was significantly lower than my practice tests. I know this was risky, but I applied and submitted my primaries and have been verified. I've been a candidate of the FAP scholarship so I didn't have to pay for secondaries and primaries didn't cost much. My gpa is 3.6, good undergrad institution, pretty unique ECs.

Should I continue submitting my secondaries for MD schools (have about half left) or withdraw my application? I figure even if I withdrew, I would still be counted as a reapplicant for next cycle?

Thanks in advance, everyone

Members don't see this ad.

hey man...the cavs were down 1-3 and beat the GSW in game 7...they never gave up when they knew no team ever came back from a 1-3 deficit..
not saying getting into a med school is game but theres a lesson to be learned here.

as for the 500, its pretty low...but keep going and see what happens.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you know you can so better? If so, retake it. You already finished the secondaries - submit those and finish up the ones you're working on. But don't add any more schools, and keep on studying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can salvage this application cycle by applying to DO schools, especially since the DO cycle is longer.

Otherwise, withdraw your application and apply next cycle after you get a very strong retake score (aim for 515+).

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know you can so better? If so, retake it. You already finished the secondaries - submit those and finish up the ones you're working on. But don't add any more schools, and keep on studying.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean, retake the MCAT in September?
I'm very confident I can get a higher score. I was getting around 504-6 in my practice tests.

hey man...the cavs were down 1-3 and beat the GSW in game 7...they never gave up when they knew no team ever came back from a 1-3 deficit..
not saying getting into a med school is game but theres a lesson to be learned here.

as for the 500, its pretty low...but keep going and see what happens.

For the Cavs part...most true words I've found on SDN ever. :D

Reactions: 1 user
I'm very confident I can get a higher score. I was getting around 504-6 in my practice tests.

No, not September. What's the point? You have time - study well and really focus on what you're doing wrong. I'm thinking more along the lines of February. Don't take it unless YOU KNOW 100% you are confident that the score will go up a good amount.

personally my opinion is to withdraw MD application

There would be no point in withdrawing tho, right? He already submitted the primary, so if he doesn't get in this cycle (hopefully, he does) then he'd be considered a re-applicant either way. Plus, some secondaries are already done, so might are well submit those. By withdrawing, you go from a 5% chance to a 0% chance.

I'd vote to apply with what you have, see where that takes you, and in the mean time keep on studying bc you said you can do better. Then, crush the mcat, add on some ECs, and if needed, you're ready to apply for the 2017-2018 cycle, if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There would be no point in withdrawing tho, right? He already submitted the primary, so if he doesn't get in this cycle (hopefully, he does) then he'd be considered a re-applicant either way. Plus, some secondaries are already done, so might are well submit those. By withdrawing, you go from a 5% chance to a 0% chance.
Right, this is how I am viewing it. I feel like I don't have much to lose. I know admin panels may see me as being stupid/unwise for going ahead to apply and not being wise about this process. But since I would be considered a reapplicant anyways, I feel like there's not much at stake. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't think you should retake in September. I think you need to give yourself at least 5-6 months to do some hardcore prep, since at this point a retake would mean taking a gap year anyway which gives you ample time to take it again. One month may not be enough to increase your score by 10+ points plus you don't want to burn yourself out. What practice tests were you taking? Have you taken the AAMC official practice exam? That would probably give you a relatively accurate idea of where you stand, compared to TPR, Kaplan, etc, though those tests tend to deflate scores.

every action has consequences

how will this be viewed upon reapplication?
which will look worse when the original app is read upon a reapplication? a withdrawal prior to an evaluation or where the previous evaluation has commentary that the applicant is academically unqualified via MCAT and noted as rejected? Yes they will see the low MCAT but does it to be reinforced with comments and opinions from colleagues rejecting him/her. withdrawal is preferably to rejection for reapplication and shows good judgement

Good points - I didn't think about that. Adcoms really make commentary and review that commentary when people are reapplying? I thought they just compared the original app vs old and looked for difference in personal statement, mcat, activities, etc.

Good points - I didn't think about that. Adcoms really make commentary and review that commentary when people are reapplying? I thought they just compared the original app vs old and looked for difference in personal statement, mcat, activities, etc.
We always review the old application (unless the second application is really bad). Screening comments will also be read.

Members don't see this ad :)
every application is rated with a scoring or evaluation sheet. At the very least every reapplicant will have this previous application sheet read witb comments from adcoms who are likely still on the committee

These are good points I would not have known had you/someone who worked on admin had not told me. Thanks!

A 500 will be lethal for MD schools, but OK for DO schools. But skip the coastal Touros, CCOM and AZCOM.

Being a reapplicant to MD schools is not always lethal. Improving significantly always helps.

Just got back my MCAT score and got a 500, which was significantly lower than my practice tests. I know this was risky, but I applied and submitted my primaries and have been verified. I've been a candidate of the FAP scholarship so I didn't have to pay for secondaries and primaries didn't cost much. My gpa is 3.6, good undergrad institution, pretty unique ECs.

Should I continue submitting my secondaries for MD schools (have about half left) or withdraw my application? I figure even if I withdrew, I would still be counted as a reapplicant for next cycle?

Thanks in advance, everyone

Reactions: 1 users
If you haven't applied to DO...I would personally withdraw, TBH. But extra years don't bother me personally.

I just don't see the risk in spending money and potentially becoming a reapplicant.

Apply DO next year and instate MDs?

A 504 or 506 won't be enough of an improvement. From 500, you need to go to 512 or so, to give you around a 70% MCAT average (which would still be below matriculant average, but within reach).

A 504 or 506 won't be enough of an improvement. From 500, you need to go to 512 or so, to give you around a 70% MCAT average (which would still be below matriculant average, but within reach).

i retook a 498 and improved to a 504 (6 points), should i retake to aim for a 512? or can i apply broadly with my current score

i retook a 498 and improved to a 504 (6 points), should i retake to aim for a 512? or can i apply broadly with my current score

Whew. A 498 and 504 does not bode well for your chances (MD anyway), assuming you are non-military and non-URM/disadvantaged. Of course, anyone can have an incredible story and I don't know your application. But your MCAT score will definitely not help your chances. Go to the WAMC thread and post a full thread, somebody will give you solid advice.

I would NOT retake the MCAT until you are scoring on the AAMC SCORED and unsecured in the 515+ range (which gives you a +/- of 2 for the real thing).

There is a guy over on reddit who did about as bad as you and got a 515 on the 3rd retake but he took 6 full months to really prepare. If you read his post, it's amazing how bad he wanted to get a solid MCAT score. Even with the 515, it is possible it will be averaged with the other 2 scores leaving him at like a 507 avg MCAT score which is probably good for some MD schools depending on his other stats.

You've gotten great advice from solid people here. Listen to it. It sucks to withdraw but it's better, to me, than a reject.

I would NOT retake the MCAT until you are scoring on the AAMC SCORED and unsecured in the 515+ range (which gives you a +/- of 2 for the real thing).

There is a guy over on reddit who did about as bad as you and got a 515 on the 3rd retake but he took 6 full months to really prepare. If you read his post, it's amazing how bad he wanted to get a solid MCAT score. Even with the 515, it is possible it will be averaged with the other 2 scores leaving him at like a 507 avg MCAT score which is probably good for some MD schools depending on his other stats.

You've gotten great advice from solid people here. Listen to it. It sucks to withdraw but it's better, to me, than a reject.

I'm not the OP I just added my scores to get some input, I think I will proceed with my app cycle because a 28 on old scale is competitive for DO schools and a few MDs

I'm not the OP I just added my scores to get some input, I think I will proceed with my app cycle because a 28 on old scale is competitive for DO schools and a few MDs
That's not your quote about retaking the 498 and getting a 504 and now shooting for a 512? Because it's a "quote" which I took from your post. See post #22. Sure looks like you wrote that... :thinking:

Make sure the 28 is competitive above the 10th percentile for the schools you're choosing. I think that was below the mean but I could be wrong... it's happened :)

Yes, withdraw. You will only be considered a re-app for programs whose secondaries you completed this year. And yes, you ARE disadvantaged as a re-app, and it is worth avoiding.

I know it might be hard to wait another year, but it is in your best interest. Good luck on your next MCAT.

That is not correct. Once an application has be transmitted from AMCAS to a medical school, a file is opened at the school and you are considered a reapplicant, even if never submit a secondary or LOR. However, I would suggest that a large percentage of applicants fall into this category (5%-10%+)

My mistake; thanks for catching!

That is not correct. Once an application has be transmitted from AMCAS to a medical school, a file is opened at the school and you are considered a reapplicant, even if never submit a secondary or LOR. However, I would suggest that a large percentage of applicants fall into this category (5%-10%+)

Let's say if someone applies to one school to get verified, and then later wishes to withdraw from that cycle for whatever reason, would they be considered a reapplicant for only that school, or for every school they plan on applying to?

Let's say if someone applies to one school to get verified, and then later wishes to withdraw from that cycle for whatever reason, would they be considered a reapplicant for only that school, or for every school they plan on applying to?
They would only be a re-applicant to that school . But some secondary prompts ask if you had a unsuccessful cycle (applied to medical school before) which would happen in the case you just laid out

try again.

then consider PCAT or DAT (or research)

Correct me if this is a stupid question but if you apply to medical school one year and you get verified but you technically only add one school to your application for verification purposes you would still be considered a reapplicant next year even if you don't add any other schools to your existing application this year?

For instance, I only added Loma Linda to my application this year for verification purposes because I don't plan on attending there. If I was to see my MCAT score and I was not happy with it but I don't end up adding any other schools how am I considered a reapplicant if those other schools never saw my application to begin with? How does the process work please correct me if I'm wrong?

Correct me if this is a stupid question but if you apply to medical school one year and you get verified but you technically only add one school to your application for verification purposes you would still be considered a reapplicant next year even if you don't add any other schools to your existing application this year?

For instance, I only added Loma Linda to my application this year for verification purposes because I don't plan on attending there. If I was to see my MCAT score and I was not happy with it but I don't end up adding any other schools how am I considered a reapplicant if those other schools never saw my application to begin with? How does the process work please correct me if I'm wrong?

Some schools specifically ask whether or not you’ve applied to any schools before on their secondary.

Otherwise, you would not be reported to other schools as a reapplication by AMCAS.