509 MCAT, 3.57 cGPA, School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I just got my MCAT scores back and I am not sure what to make of my application. I got a 509 (128/127/127/127) but, based on my practice test scores, I really thought I would get above a 510. I'm not sure I should retake it based on my application and the schools I want to apply to, and I could really use some help!

My cGPA should be around a 3.57/3.58 based on how this semester is going and my sGPA should be around a 3.45 (again, a prediction). I go to a top 20 undergraduate university and many of my extracurriculars focus on working with underserved populations. I am really interested in primary care and I am a Minnesota resident. Based on these stats, what schools could I apply to and have a decent shot at?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine for DOs with your metrics if your main interest is primary care.

But if you want to shoot for MDs, while the 509 is fine, a gap year taking DIY postbac science courses will up your GPAs to a more competitive level.

Hello!

I just got my MCAT scores back and I am not sure what to make of my application. I got a 509 (128/127/127/127) but, based on my practice test scores, I really thought I would get above a 510. I'm not sure I should retake it based on my application and the schools I want to apply to, and I could really use some help!

My cGPA should be around a 3.57/3.58 based on how this semester is going and my sGPA should be around a 3.45 (again, a prediction). I go to a top 20 undergraduate university and many of my extracurriculars focus on working with underserved populations. I am really interested in primary care and I am a Minnesota resident. Based on these stats, what schools could I apply to and have a decent shot at?

Thanks!
Hello!

Thanks!

@Goro

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Thanks!
I suggest:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Thank you so much @Goro and @DV-T! To improve my chances, should I retake the MCAT? If I decide to retake, I would have to take a gap year

Thank you so much @Goro and @DV-T! To improve my chances, should I retake the MCAT? If I decide to retake, I would have to take a gap year
Pay attention: Do NOT retake. See how an app cycle fares.

Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

Me and you have almost identical stats. Albany, Netter, UCSD (ca resident), UT Rio Grande Valley (fit their mission), and Western Michigan all gave me IIs. I’ll be attending Western Michigan.